Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

what clones do you remember?

we all remember wolf3d, doom and quake, but what about the hundreds of clones that were made?

if you grew up or were older at the time of doom's release then you remember the doom clones. i remember a few space invader clones and pac-man clones. Some were really good games, others just really sucked. some were left out becuase there was no real way for them to measure up to the large games like doom and quake.

before PC and gameboy i was into atari. i loved my 2600 and 5200 systems. we had a shit load of games. of course some of these were clones of popular games like sapce invaders and pac-man.
one game i do remember was called "theif" no not that 1st person game. it was a pacman clone. get the pellets, or in the case i am guessing coins or diamonds. however unlike our yellow friend pacman. this guy could defend him self anyware on the map. you could place up to 3 barriers to keep the cops from getting you. if you needed another after the 3rd was placed the 1st disapeared. well thats what i recall of the game. also your guy was a red hat with feet.

a space invaders clone was nearly unplayable at that age. the invaders shot things at you and randomly ones you shot would come falling down toawrds you. however this may have been a tandy game.

years later i am to PC gaming and doom. Soon i saw a number of doom clones. my mother registered with a game company and each month they sent us like 10 CD's with shareware and full games. most sucked. however i do remember a few.

cyclones was kinda cool, but i hated the way you contorled it. it had "3d" floors and i recall jumping. not much else.

ken's 3d deal, i remember this one for being kinda tacky. it was fun even if wierd. i never understood why growing tall and small mattered in this game. however it was the base of the build engine the duke3d later was made from.

ROTT - best clone ever! if i recall this was to be the second wolf3d, but that changed for some reason. anyways it rocked. however never got the attention that doom got, i mean it came out between doom and doom II and then quake and duke3d.

Duke3d - i remember it because it was a fun game. however i remember all the fights about duke3d engine being better than quake. This game was just as much a blast as ROTT.

now onto playstation. There is one game that i think is a direct copy of RE and its gameplay. however i dout the story, even if they are similar. I am talking about parasite eve 2. however those games are based off a book, that i think was out before RE. either way you really think about RE when you play it. you even have to hit action to go up/down steps. Unlike RE it has some RPG elements to it. you can unlock powers and you have MP. This one is one of my favorite games for the playstation.

what other clones are out there. these are only the ones that stand out for me.

* Blood. Introduced me to the joy of burning civvies, and inspired me to figure out ZDoom's burning deaths.

* CyClones - While the control scheme was a bit odd, it was a good game.

* In Pursuit of Greed - Game isn't as fun, but has some nice ideas (random item placement in levels), and music is by Necros.

The only really obscure one that I knew of was Ken's Labyrinth - a Wolfenstein clone with some very weird features for an FPS, but it wasn't bad. In fact some of the maps were quite good IIRC.

ahh yes, forgot about blood. only had the shareware version.
one of only 2 games i know of where you can kick heads around. the other being postal 2.

Marathon by Bungie was a rather strange game... I don't recall a whole lot about it, nor do I still have the CD, but it was a game with a similar engine to Doom. Of course it had all the fancy features like mouselook and jumping, and even interactive environments/logging/etc, but it never got around to being very popular.

EDIT:

Rofl, http://resurrection.bungie.org/g_marathon.htm

Sorry, but look at where things stand now. I don't think Marathon has even the slightest chance against Doom.

I own Eradicator on CD. Monotonous dark levels, but neat execution and weapons :D

There's a furry in it so of course you'll love it.

Marathon 1-3, Amulets and Armor was sort of a clone, and Rise of the Triad (almost better than the game it imitates).

gargoylol said:

BULLSHIT

gargoylol said:

You should talk, mr. demongay. :P

Chasm. In technical terms, it was superior to Q1, since it could run on far lower system specs.

Well, Redneck Rampage. IIRC it was based on Quake1, never even played it myself, just saw my cousin playing. Back then, it was very funny that the player could get drunk.

Seph: isn't RE a clone of Alone in the Dark anyway?

Job: actually, no. I also thought that when I first saw Chasm running at 30 fps on my DX4 (oops, forgot to mention that), but then I noticed, "hey, these levels look like ROTT." Still a great game though!

Anyway, RR had the exact same version of Build that was used for Duke, with .con files and all that. IIRC it was the only Build game that actually made any use of the high resolution modes because the textures and sprites were twice as big as usual; in fact, the setup program wouldn't let you select modes lower than 640x480 at all.

Marathon (1, Durandal, Infinity) wasn't a game, it was an exercise in philosophy :) It had an awesome multiplayer mode. I only regret the very low FOV it had. Nauseating, even.

IMHO one of the best Doom clones ever is Dark Forces. Awesome, immersive level design and missions. Even user-made levels were usually pro quality... (ever noticed that the harder the editors are to master, the better the levels made with it are? It holds the other way too, just check out the thousands of Duke3D levels with 10 feet tall toilets in them.)

I also remember playing the demo for Cybermage. I think it was made by Origin and that it had something to do System Shock.

spank said:

Job: actually, no. I also thought that when I first saw Chasm running at 30 fps, but then I noticed, "hey, these levels look like ROTT." Still a great game though!

Heh, I recall the game being able to run on a 486 whereas Q1 required at least a P1, IIRC.

spank said:

I also remember playing the demo for Cybermage. I think it was made by Origin and that it had something to do System Shock.

I remember lusting over a review of it when it came out, way back in the day... Being an Origin title, no one had the hardware to run the damn thing. By the time PC's were fast enough, everyone had forgotten about it. It looked like it had some very neat features (vehicles, lots of NPC's, tons of weaponry/spells, etc).

Man, I've played so many clones, I don;t know where to begin.

Doom/Wolf clones:

Blake Stone
Body Count
Nightmare 3d
ROTT
The Terminator (or something like that)
Some game...can't remember it's title but you have to save these people in a mine under some planet. Fist time I saw flamethrowers in an FPS.

Commander Keen clones (and it was inspired by Mario):

Bio Menace
Duke Nukem 1+2
Jazz Jackrabbit (Sonic the Hedgehog Clone)
Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage
Jill of the Jungle
Xargon (Jill Clone)
Vynil Godess of Mars (Jill Clone)
Hocus Pocus

Space Invaders Clones:

Save New York
Satan's Hollow
The Mutant Space Bats of Doom
Galactix

Rogue clones:

Nethack
Castle of the Winds
Diablo

Danarchy said:

Some game...can't remember it's title but you have to save these people in a mine under some planet. Fist time I saw flamethrowers in an FPS.

Depth Dwellers.

Galactix

Darnit, I wish I could get that running in DOSbox!

WildWeasel said:

Depth Dwellers.

Holy shit, I can't believe anyone else played that. Yeah, that's what it was.

WildWeasel said:

Depth Dwellers.

Damn you, I wanted to say that! Also, Corridor 7. It had some Doom influences. You versus all the bad aliens in an outpost on some mysterious planet.

Doom was just a clone of "MAZE" on the BBC micro!, they even copied the automap, and, er, the concept of limited ammo

Eradicator was pretty decent, some nice spries, but i never did get a way to rip them