Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 3 Mission Pack Previews

People have been bugging us that PC Gamer UK and Game Informer apparently both have previews for the Doom 3 expansion pack "Resurrection of Evil" in their latest issues. Among the stuff revealed:

• There's a gravity gun to pick up and fling objects (don't know where I've seen that before...)
  • A double barrel shotgun which is apparently all futuristic with wires and hoses and junk
  • New monsters including one that sort of looks like a hell knight with a TV screen for a face
  • It's still set on Mars, the demons have returned and you have to beat them back again, etc. You play a different marine, as the original marine has probably died of exhaustion.
  • There's bullet time. OK, not bullet time maybe, but some sort of slow-mo powerup mode.
  • It'll be somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 as long as the original game
So there you go.

SP, fopps to all pogs in rolls!

You forgot to mention the hot new scientist who looks like a girlfriend i was with for a while. I thought that was a very important bit of news.

Another one of the new monsters i remember seemed a bit like the maggot (the two headed running things), but 'sharper', as in with spines and a trianglular head. From the single static screenshot it looked like it moved a bit like the maggot, but may be faster (looked it). Or it might have a ranged attack and just have been crouching for fun, i dont know

Linguica said:

• There's bullet time. OK, not bullet time maybe, but some sort of slow-mo powerup mode.

timescale 0.5

Bleh. :P

LOOK OUT EVERYBODY!!!! IT'S ENTHUSIASM!!! IT'S ATTACKING OUR FLANKS LOOK OUT AHHHHHH :O :O :OOOOOO

Shaikoten said:

Oh look. It went from Every Other Game ripping off Doom to Doom ripping off every other game.

Oh shut the fuck up. God forbid they use ideas that have been done before.

There's a gravity gun to pick up and fling objects (don't know where I've seen that before...)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BBG said:

Oh shut the fuck up. God forbid they use ideas that have been done before.

10/10 + 3 gold stars. Keep it up and I'll hire you a hooker for the weekend.

Shaikoten said:

Oh look. It went from Every Other Game ripping off Doom to Doom ripping off every other game.

Don't tell me Doom didn't rip off any other sources, because that'd be one of the biggest lies.

To all the folks flaming me:

Doom wasn't COMPLETELY original, but it was a lot of firsts. Throught the early and middle 90's, all the other FPSs were called "Doom Killers." I'm just pointing out that it seems like this mod is going to be a "Half-Life 2/Max Payne/Enter The Matrix" killer. ANYONE has to admit that the grav gun is just a ripoff of Half Life 2, and it will be some trendy thing most futuristic games will be carrying for the next couple years. "Bullet Time" effects were the same way, as demonstrated by its inclusion in this game. It just seems to me this mod is trying too hard to use all of the trendy selling points for games. All I want to do is run fast and shoot lots of hellspawn. But the game's engine bogs down so much when you have more than three enemies on the screen that mods I would want wouldn't be possible for another few years when this game is already "obsolete."

Anyone who thinks Half-life 2 is the first ever game to feature a gravity gun is sorely mistaken.

NiGHTMARE said:

Anyone who thinks Half-life 2 is the first ever game to feature a gravity gun is sorely mistaken.

Exactly. I seem to remember seeing similar weapons in some 2d platforming games. Hell, even physics engines aren't anything new, this is just the first time we've seen them in an FPS sort of environment. Atleast they tried to make the Grabber in this expansion unique by allowing you to pick up projectiles, even bullets from guns and fling them back at opponents.

Besides, I don't see anyone complaining that most FPS games have shotguns and machineguns in them. "Oh noes, Doom 3 has a machinegun/shotgun in it just like Half-Life did! Better call the IP police to arrest iD for this blatant plagiarism!"

NiGHTMARE said:

That's what i've been saying but no-one listens. :P

HL2 isn't even the first game with half decent physics. For instance, go play Thief 3 and run into a barrel or a pile of crates, and see what happens.

NiGHTMARE said:

HL2 isn't even the first game with half decent physics. For instance, go play Thief 3 and run into a barrel or a pile of crates, and see what happens.

Don't forget Trespasser! :)

david_a said:

Don't forget Trespasser! :)

Oh man, I actually had that game. The only cool thing about it was that you had to look down at the heart tattoo on your player's cleavage to see how much health you had.

It's recently become obvious to me that physics engines, atleast how they are currently implemented, are pointless. After the 2+ years they have been talked about as being revolutionary and opening up new gameplay possibilities, what has happened? We get crates/exploding barrels that tumble quasi-realistically(OMG, let's not forget that we can stack those crates to form makeshift stairs, too!) and a gun that shoots gravity. FPS games haven't even escaped from the Warehouse full of crates cliche yet, but instead of trying to invent new environments or even try to be more creative/liberal with the first person perspective and the gameplay it offers, most companies have been focusing their time on making those crates stacked in a warehouse tumble more accurately. I think the question we should all ask ourselves now is: WHY?! Don't even get me started on rag-doll physics.

Edit: This rant is mostly in response to those that think that the Gravity Gun is such an achievement for the FPS genre as a whole that they feel fit to flame id. Frankly, I don't like the idea of a gun that's nothing more than a flashy gimmick in any game, although I have to give Valve kudos for making a gun that uses the most overused cliche in the first person shooter genre, the crate, as ammo. I'm not trying to flame Valve here, and I'm not exactly impressed that id is "stealing" a weapon from another FPS either, but atleast id/Splash Damage tried to make the idea of the Gravity Gun more appealing by allowing you to use a monsters own weapon against it.

Snarboo said:

Oink

Actually, I felt the way the physics engine was used in HL 2 to enhance the gameplay was pretty damn good. There were alot of scenes where the physics are essential.

As for using their own weapons against them ..

Spoiler

There's some scenes were you can grab those zappy balls and toss them at the enemy. Also later on there's the hoppers.

So it's not totally void of that.

In Thief 3, it actually does enhance the gameplay. If you knock over a crate/barrel/whatever, nearby enemies will most likely hear it and start looking for whoever caused the noise. You can sometimes even kill peoeple by dropping stuff on top of them from a great height. In Thief 1/2, knocking into something generally didn't really do very much, though you could still pick things up and throw them.

Anyway, don't forget that RoE's gravity gun will let you deflect projectiles (i.e. bullets, rockets, fireballs, etc). And as I already pointed out, if ID "stole" the gravity gun then so did Valve.

udderdude said:

Actually, I felt the way the physics engine was used in HL 2 to enhance the gameplay was pretty damn good. There were alot of scenes where the physics are essential.

It might look good, but what purpose does it serve other than ambience right now? I mean, you had to stack crates and move things around in the original Half-Life, yet H-L didn't even have a modern physics engine and it worked just fine. I think physics engines as they stand right now are just a nuisance, especially when they don't work, something goes wrong and you get crushed/stuck/catapulted into the air, or you have boxes/corpses that float in the air or are stuck humping the wall forever because a little bit of their arm got caught in the scenary and the corpse won't settle. Even professional physics engines have those sorts of problems. Bugs are only amusing for so long, especially when the physics engine wasn't even necessary in the first place and those bugs can cripple gameplay.

Edit: I like the physics you describe in Thief 3, Nightmare. That's a step in the right direction when the physics engine actually adds something to the gameplay other than stackable/tumbling crates or rag-dolls. A physics engine should be subtle and seem fluid or part of the environment rather than tacked on or flashy.

I don't think the "forced" physics puzzles added anything to hl2. What did, though, was how you could use it as a weapon (Throwing stuff at enemies, destroying platforms they were on)