Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord Of Nothing

.::[FRAG-TAG]::. Making old school deathmatching cool again.

Okay hears the story : Hello I'm new here I like to play DOOMII (obviously) and I've done gfx mods for it before, so with that out of the way...hears my idea:

What's the big deal:
Quake/Painkiller style no hold's bard Deathmatching. This should revamp Doom II for 2005. The old fashioned guns and textures are gone, all except the good bits. The mod will include 5 clostrophobic deathmatch maps (ones that will look as much as doom 3 as possible). It won't be revalutionary. But the the whole idea will be that the game would be as good looking as you can be with such a old engine.

The changes wiil be:
- DooM 3 weapon replacements. Though I'll throw in the UT2004 rocket launcher and a better looking pistol, that assult rifle from UT2004 should do the trick. (I'll keep the chainsaw as it is, if it ain't
broke don't fix it.) Oh I almost forgot, from UT2004 I'll add the flak cannon as the super shotgun.
- Player skins changed to some sort of helmetless marine from DooM 3.
- No more midi's. High quality Heavy Metal MP3's all the way. (leagal free remixes of doom and quake tunes)
- totally revamped player HUD I'll being having one of those metroid looking hud's from republic commando (a starwars rip off of metroid prime). Nice! I'll even add one of those eye screens, like the marines from Aliens.
- better sounds: KLABLOOEE!!!! ect.
- Cool one liners when you spawn: "I'LL FRAG YOU ALL!!!"
- easy to install: download the zip file and extract it. Put the WAD where you keep you WADS. Boot up Doom Connector start a server, select it as a custom file when starting a server, run the server and Play it!

It's a simple mod so it should work with a number of source ports. And may even work with the DooM 1 IWAD.

But I can't do this on my own. I have come to find good men and women on Doomworld to help build this mod. All I need is a few people to run DooM 3 and/or UT2004 on a fairly high setting (ultra if possible) and take some snapshots of walls, floor's, cellings and all the weapons (and I mean all of them). I also would greatly appreciate it if someone was kind enough to open up a model viewer of some sort and take about 15 snaps of a cool marine from DooM 3 in 360 degrees(well that's about 1 snap of every rotation of 30 degrees) prefreble holding a gun. If possible I'd like donations in a gif format as it's easy to insert a image than in jpeg to cut out all the junk around the edges. I suggest using http://www.imageshack.us/ and adding a link on the forum, it requires no sign up you just selcet the image and click "upload".

All donators of nessacery images will be put on the credits in the game mod and also on a readme file.

I do this all myself but I am pressed for time and I don't own DooM 3 yet. But I'm getting it after christams from a friend.

I havn't got any screens but I did the next best thing, a mock up:

Thanks in advance, I really want to make this mod as it would be alot of fun to play. I really wan't to improve the quality of old doom to make it more enjoyable for the community. I also wan't to give the DooM fans who don't have a beefy rig to run DooM 3, a taste of Doom 3 multiplayer.

And when the mod is finished I shall name it FRAG TAG 1: FIrst Blood, and I'll put a site up with a forum for people to post suggestions for a future sequal and beyond.

Perhaps it would be better to mod Doom3 and not DOOM for this? just my 2c.
the reason I'm posting is that 'Lord of Nothing' is one of my long-standing Quake2 aliases... not that it was original, I like your choice. :)

I think you're giving the Doom enigne WAYYY more credit than you should. Besides, if I wanted to play a modern DM game, I'd play UT 2004, not mod the ancient Doom 2 to hell and back.

Lord Of Nothing said:

- DooM 3 weapon replacements. Though I'll throw in the UT2004 rocket launcher and a better looking pistol, that assult rifle from UT2004 should do the trick. (I'll keep the chainsaw as it is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.) Oh I almost forgot, from UT2004 I'll add the flak cannon as the super shotgun.

Weapon replacements are always nice - but do you plan to use DeHackEd to make them at least feel better? Because I have grown to despise the default behavior of Doom's weapons.

- Player skins changed to some sort of helmetless marine from DooM 3.

Eh, that's of little consequence, seeing as there are lots of custom skins for Skulltag/ZDaemon and the like that have multiplayer.

- No more midi's. High quality Heavy Metal MP3's all the way. (leagal free remixes of doom and quake tunes)

In that case, I'd be turning the music off, because if there's one thing annoying me in deathmatch games, it's the music. Now, I'm not here to criticize your taste in music (if I were, I'd be putting off pretty much everybody on this forum, because my tastes are pretty "out there"), but I've never liked metal.

- totally revamped player HUD I'll being having one of those metroid looking hud's from republic commando (a starwars rip off of metroid prime). Nice! I'll even add one of those eye screens, like the marines from Aliens.

Three words: Doom Alpha HUD. That thing is dying for a good use.

- better sounds: KLABLOOEE!!!! ect.

Always nice, seeing as Doom's default sounds lack power.

- Cool one liners when you spawn: "I'LL FRAG YOU ALL!!!"

I'll be turning those off too - auto-taunts are a novelty at best, and while it was pretty cool to see my guy take care of the trash-talking for me, it just got annoying after a few weeks of play time.

- easy to install: download the zip file and extract it. Put the WAD where you keep you WADS. Boot up Doom Connector start a server, select it as a custom file when starting a server, run the server and Play it!

Couldn't be easier.

It's a simple mod so it should work with a number of source ports. And may even work with the DooM 1 IWAD.

...you're kidding, right? This can't be possible to work across the different sourceports unless you make a custom-tailored version for each port (and you'll have to with all the stuff you're doing, believe me). The HUD alone would make this a ZDoom/Skulltag specific mod.

@ WildWeasel: Acttualy your wrong there, it's not as difficult as you think, the achetecture of the DooM 1 IWAD is almost 60%/95% the same as DooM 2, and since its only a simple wintex 5.1 mod, it does work on alot of source ports, I've done it before and I'll do it again. I don't need Dehack, I just need Wintex 5.1 and WAD Authour (which can modify how the weapons feel)

And just to put you at ease, fine have the music down, I'm not asking you to have it on, I'm just saying that the'll be some new music and sounds in this mod. I'm not saying this is for everyone, but you know, if your bored you got nothing to do and the naff graphics on Doom 2 are getting you annoyed. Try this it's bound to keep you happy on those monday afternoons.

And no, im not making this for any other game, this mod is for people on Doom Connector. Which is for people who play DooM 2 because it's still fun. And I've seen that a little light tweaking can make any DooM 2 map look as good as Quake 2. Hey if you don't like playing it on your pc, then you can get a source port off the net that lets you do deathmatching on DooM 2 on your PDA. When the mods done, try it might be your cup of tea.

now who's gonna post me some textures and sprites?

WildWeasel said:

The HUD alone would make this a ZDoom/Skulltag specific mod.

IIRC, somebody over at the ZDoom fourms made a mod to .63a which replaces the regular status bar with the alpha one. I think it's in the ZDoom fake pictrue thread. So it is possible.

Pics: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Ziron/DOOM0010.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Ziron/DOOM0011.png

EDIT: Cleaned up the quote.

Putting a transparent picture on the HUD using Hudmessages in Zdoom is quite easy. All You need is a smart picture.

http://www.wadsinprogress.info/image.php?wad=351&shot=2

The question is how much of the hud there is usable. It can be just a still picture, however, with smart scripting You could put on a fake health bar, ammo displays (Barista is a great example of this). I have yet to see a hybrid of both: good graphics and coding to create a cool custom HUD.

I think the alpha status bar is too bulky, it gets in the way. The best would be a hud that gives you maximum amount of view while providing more functionality than the normal hud(ie, what item you currently have, what weapon currently selected, frags, deaths, rank maybe, etc.)

I told you I'm gonna borrow bits off the screenshot for republic commando. It can't be made out as well as the metroid helmet, so it will look like it was made for this mod :D. All I need is some pic of doom 3 guns and textures. And mabey someone to take some 360 deggree shots of a marine in a model viewer. By the way I'm not gonna do it for ZDoom I'm doing it on wintex for doom leagacy, this kind of mod also works for other source ports, like ZDooM (proberly). Everything I wanna do can be done on wintex. There is no function to it, it just makes DOOM look cooler. DooM looks old fashioned. I don't mean the graphics quality, I mean the character/weapon designs.

Chronoteeth said:

Don't post that. That brings back too many sad memories...

Huh?

Chronoteeth said:

I was really really looking forward to that, and when it got cancelled, a tear crossed my face.

Oh really? Then You should read the edited description at WIP ;).

On a completely unrelated note. I really hate people who use my fish. I scroll through a thread and think I have written something.. but then I notice that it's someone else.. annoying to say the least.

kristus said:

On a completely unrelated note. I really hate people who use my fish. I scroll through a thread and think I have written something.. but then I notice that it's someone else.. annoying to say the least.

Heh

kristus once said:

When will people who use my avatar get a not kristus/not ebola title? HUH? Just asking.. grrr.

See Custom Title

Darkman 4 said:

You're actually taking this seriously?

EDIT: ZOMG 400th post.

Who isnt .. :P

I wanted to make something of my old dm maps I had stashed away.

Thank you, AT LEAST SOMEONE WAS BEING NICE!

Just was is your big fat problem here?

All I said was that alot of people stopped playing Doom 2 cause the designs in DooM 2 look like the were made by the same people who made the Buck Roggers costume and set designs. I thought I'd just have a go and sprucing it up a bit. the naff designs like the plasma gun and marine helmet on DooM 2 has gotten me really angry over the past few weeks. I'd just enjoy the game a bit better if it has some differnt GFX and deathmatch maps.

I don't care if it unoriginal I'm not tring to "BE" or "DO" anything. ALL I WANTED WAS A LITTLE HELP FROM SOME PEOPLE TO MAKE DOOM 2 LOOK A LITTLE NICER. OKAY! FINE!

What exactly have you done that's made DooM 2 Multiplayer a more enjoyble experiance? eh? eh? Nothing you just sit there and kill any urika! moment that some bloke has, cause you don't like somthing new being successful. Old farts!

And I stand by everything I say!

p.s: I'm not lieing look I've already began working onit, heres a little colage of what I've done so far:

Lord Of Nothing said:

What exactly have you done that's made DooM 2 Multiplayer a more enjoyble experiance? eh? eh? Nothing you just sit there and kill any urika! moment that some bloke has, cause you don't like somthing new being successful. Old farts!

For many of us, "modern" graphics and stuff ripped from more recent games =/= more enjoyable. I like Doom DM for what it is: a simple yet fun DMing experience.

The most one can do to make a game more enjoyable is to tweak the gameplay to perfection. Apparently, Doom 2 deathmatch is already perfect by way of Skulltag and ZDaemon.

I'd agree with Darkman - it's not "more modern" that makes something good. Heck, I've seen lots of wads that have "modern" things in them (like those wads that have Quake 2 weapons in them) and they actually make Doom feel worse. (Mostly because they are very poor rips, but even if they were better rips I wouldn't like them much.)

Lord of Nothing- sorry for getting a bit offtopic, but those D3 ripped stuff would found real use in the Doom3 in Doom 2 project in the other thread. If You had donated it I'm pretty sure the authors would be greatly thankful.

Look, I'm sorry I just thought that although having Doom 2 deathmatch already being stupidly fun for its age I thought "Hmm it plays well but the sprites look a bit retro, how about I have a go at making it a bit more like a Game Boy Advance version of DOOM 3 or somthing like that."

I would donate my work to this Doom 3 to Doom 2 project but it won't be the turn out I'm looking for. I don't think I gonna need many hand outs. I already got the majprity of textures and things I need. All I gotta do now is slap it all together, And the rips wont be bad I got a mammoth sprite editing package.

Just gonna rip,steal,pinch,borrow,nick,chav anything I can find thats cool. It will still be the same game, just a little bit more "interesting".