Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tony

This project is dead

I guess the ones that do want to see this project done, we just going have to take matters into our own hands. Don't know much about hosting sites on sorceforge, so anyone here know how to set one up ?

Also we need to keep the duetextree updated, there's no motivation when there's no progress is site.

I think the main focus should be on the graphics and sound and the map need to be more basic. We should get rid of the boom features for compatibility and speed. And keep the map short and simple. I believe once people get there hands on a free Iwad they will be motivated to add something to as the time pass.

I think that programs such as Blender can greatly increase the progress of sprites. There should be a human model that others can build from.

Blender also has pose mode and armature so animating them wouldn't be too difficult.

Tutorials should be included to increase the speed with new comers.

tony said:

There should be a human model that others can build from.

I've made a Firebrand model, by removing the cuffs (i.e. flattening them) and normalizing the head, he'd make a good base for some monsters. He's in both Blender and MS3d format too.

Making Freedoom doom(2).exe compatible most definitely would not speed things up. It would actually slow things down, since map authors would have to worry about Visplane Overflows and all that crap.

You know I got that error once, I wonder what that was ??? The map doesn't have to be big or fancy just something that will test out all the textures, sound, sprites, flats and anything else that goes with it. We could just modify the existing ones first since we wouldn't have to worry about the visplane issue. Unless this has something to do with the doom2.exe, which is what you might be saying. Even if there is a issue, there's still other engine besides Boom and Zoom. I'm having some success with "EDGE" which also has a gl version and boom compatible. But I want to attract the ones who are also tired of the low texture graphics and have there sight on others such as jDoom. I would said 3Drising, but there's no linux version, people would also like to port Doom64 to jDoom and a Iwad such as Freedoom just might do the trick.

There's also map generator out there that might speed up the process, such as http://interreality.org/~tetron/technology/angdoom/

There's even a program out there that takes a drawing in bmp and convert it to Doom map for you. However most of these are for windows and C++ language so I wasn't able to take a look at these. I'll be glad with help testing and keeping a site updated, which is more then I could say for this freedoom website.

Nightmare, could you post a pic, would the creator of this model let it be use for freedoom domain ?

Eh? Post a pic of what?

Visplane Overflow, or VPO, is to do with the number of sub-sectors visible on screen at once... and you don't even need large amounts of detail to cause it. You can find out more about it here.

It is a problem which is gone in almost all ports, since they've either increased the limit or removed it entirely. IIRC JDoom is about the only one which hasn't, though I could be wrong.

BTW you do realize that Boom compatible maps work in PRBoom, MBF, SMMU, Eternity, ZDoom, GADoom, ZXDoom, Skulltag, ZDaemon, ZDoomGL, Risen3D, Legacy (well, mostly), etc, etc right? Pretty much the only modern ports they won't work in are EDGE (though even that has some Boom support), JDoom and Vavoom.

Yes, I know that, but 3drisen doesn't run on LINUX. And I pretty much like the 3d, MD2 mods and a clear view. With all this why would I switch over to boom ?

Freedoom features new sprites, so 3D models are completely irrelevant.

For everything else, just use ZDoomGL.

I've actually added some new stuff in in the past few days. We now have a complete map01 and map03 and a new chaingun. I'm going to see if I can do a new release soon (Christmas Freedoom, anyone?)

tony said:

There should be a human model that others can build from.

The Makehuman script for Blender? That's totally GPL and I bet the humans are GPL too. Wouldn't hurt at all, though unfortunately you can't remove the genitals totally (you can only either have a penis or a vagina, no neuter :X)

Luckily, I've made several other "gargoyle" models that aren't modeled off of copyrighted characters (like Firebrand was), but they vary in muscle, most of them are thin or hunchbacked, but making modifications to them (removing wings, giving furry hell pants and such) and converting them to new sprites for Freedoom is a possibility. Most of them are already rigged :D

All the mods have a vergina anyways, just isn't detail that is all. I don't think we will be looking under there legs anyways, however maybe there might be something if they bend over, we could always blur or re pixel the areas anyways.

I was thinking of doing a sirens model for jdoom, who want to join me :)

fraggle said:

I've actually added some new stuff in in the past few days. We now have a complete map01 and map03 and a new chaingun. I'm going to see if I can do a new release soon (Christmas Freedoom, anyone?)

Thats great news fraggle, will the duetextree and added textures be updated too ?

tony said:

All the mods have a vergina anyways, just isn't detail that is all. I don't think we will be looking under there legs anyways, however maybe there might be something if they bend over, we could always blur or re pixel the areas anyways.

And the imp got away with it somehow

Anyway, here's a shot of my old model, any ideas on what monster he could be? (Maybe the imp? Maybe the Revenant? (Just add shoulderguns to his wings)

tony said:

will the duetextree and added textures be updated too ?

The deutex tree is the place all data is placed to build the releases. So I'm pretty sure fraggle puts the new stuff there when he also updates the changelog.

gargoylol said:

And the imp got away with it somehow

Anyway, here's a shot of my old model, any ideas on what monster he could be? (Maybe the imp? Maybe the Revenant? (Just add shoulderguns to his wings)

http://www.planetgargoyle.com/wbgrgmdl.jpg

Excuse my ignorants but what's a shouldergun ?

Also something bad happen last night, one of my slave drive died on me and too the OS with it. I couldn't get the linux driver working with it so now I'm on Windoze. So, I guess I'll be doing some other doom thing later. I want be able to texture anything since I don't have gimp, there's one for windows it just doesn't work well with it.

tony said:

Thats great news fraggle, will the duetextree and added textures be updated too ?

Which textures?

The hi end textures. oh and the screenshot needs updating too. Well, I think there's a few new ones, but maybe the jdoom shots should be replace with 3drisen shots ?

I think the shareware-wad and hi-res texture subprojects should be abandoned (and removed from the website) so we can remain focussed on the main goal of creating a free IWAD.

How does the shareware project detract from that goal? Every single part of it will end up in the full Doom 1 replacement wad anyway.

tony said:

Excuse my ignorants but what's a shouldergun ?

You mean you don't know where the revenant's missles come from?

Ajapted said:

I think the shareware-wad and hi-res texture subprojects should be abandoned (and removed from the website) so we can remain focussed on the main goal of creating a free IWAD.

Removing other projects is rather stupid, especially if the shareware iwad is 80% pretty much done.

Ajapted said:

I agree that removing the hi-res subproject is probably a good idea. Having the shareware-wad project is still useful as I believe it is an attainable goal which is still useful to the overall development of the project.

I work really hard on those hi resolution textures, how about just having it for reference instead ? Alot of those can be resize anyways if they need to.