Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomplaya

doom and windows XP

does anyone know how to get the mouse to work with windows XP collectors edition doom? I got it with windows 98, but it stopped working when I upgraded to XP, and I am going insane without my doom....

The proper thing to do in this situation would be to play Doom as it's meant to be played: with a keyboard.

As for the mouse not working, XP cut off DOS support so you most likely won't be able to use the mouse or any other hardware with DOS programs. What you can do though is download a windows-based source port like ZDoom, put that in your Doom/Doom2/Final Doom directory and use it to play instead. You'll get a lot of other good features like high-resolutions with it as well.

Actually, he means that piece of crap known as Doom95. Doom95's mouse support is broken in NT.

... so yes, anyway, he should still get another source port.

The proper thing to do in this situation would be to play Doom as it's meant to be played: with a keyboard.

As for the mouse not working, XP cut off DOS support so you most likely won't be able to use the mouse or any other hardware with DOS programs.

Hey, Lut - are you a pro-keyboard DOOMer like myself?

Actually, I don't think it's hopeless getting mouse in XP for DOS software. I don't quite know how, but there should be a way, just like there is a way to have sound, through an emulator.

If someone knows how to make mouse work for DOS in NT/2K, it should be similar for XP.

Maybe just opening a DOS box and loading a DOS mouse driver prior to launching DOOM will work, although I'm not sure.

mouse emulation in a dos window in xp works fine

his issue isn't with the original doom executable, it's with doom95

doom95's mouse support doesn't work in NT

I understand you, arioch, but why using DOOM95, if you can use the original DOOM / Ultimate / Final 1.9 EXE? Or did they leave the DOS executables out of Collector's DOOM?

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

XP cut off DOS support

THE FIENDS!! DARN YOU BILL GATES!

Yeah that's what they get for not updating anything... I hope they get a million of angry phone calls from people who can't get the mouse working in Win2k/XP >:)

does anyone know how to get the mouse to work with windows XP collectors edition doom? I got it with windows 98, but it stopped working when I upgraded to XP, and I am going insane without my doom....

Here are two options:
1. Play using the keyboard (I do, and am quite good too.)
2. Or you can go to the Source Ports section here at Doomworld. Here you can find EDGE, ZDoom, WinDoom, and Legacy, amongst other source ports.
Hope this helps

are you a pro-keyboard DOOMer like myself?

I once used the keyboard, but that was before i met games that had a mouse, now i'm a addict. HELP ME!

Just don't play with the mouse, and curse the programmers of the newer games that make keyboard aiming jerky. That's what I do.

You guys are (mostly) morons. Playing FPSes without a mouse only puts you at a disadvantage. If it's your own choice then that's fine but don't tell other people to do it 'because it's the way it was meant to be done'. People drive cars with automatic transmissions every day.

XP emulates DOS very well. And mouse support in DOS under XP works fine for me, what's your problem?

Why would you EVER use doom.exe instead of doom95.exe? Agreed, Doom95 sucks ass. But it's better than the original. And while this is a matter of opinion, it is NOT purely subjective (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, go away and die). So, since Doom95 is functionally superior to doom.exe, then if you are of the opinion that one should use doom.exe when given the option, then you are, well, wrong.

(Yes, I just told you your opinion is wrong.)

I would just like to comment that DooMBoy actually gave an intelligent reply to something. I'm impressed.

And Davidoom, before you start knocking XP, try using it. XP is awesome, rules in every way (edit: as long as you crack it to avoid activation). Take it from someone who should know.

Why would you EVER use doom.exe instead of doom95.exe? Agreed, Doom95 sucks ass. But it's better than the original.

Only in some ways, not in others. I'd rather use the original when playing those multi-part mods. (Actually, I'd rather use a port, but that's not always an option.)

You guys are (mostly) morons. Playing FPSes without a mouse only puts you at a disadvantage. If it's your own choice then that's fine but don't tell other people to do it 'because it's the way it was meant to be done'. People drive cars with automatic transmissions every day.

Why would you EVER use doom.exe instead of doom95.exe? Agreed, Doom95 sucks ass. But it's better than the original. And while this is a matter of opinion, it is NOT purely subjective (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, go away and die). So, since Doom95 is functionally superior to doom.exe, then if you are of the opinion that one should use doom.exe when given the option, then you are, well, wrong.

(Yes, I just told you your opinion is wrong.)

You, sir (or lady), are an arch-moronish faggot (or lesbian).

Why would you EVER use doom.exe instead of doom95.exe?

Because the volume controls WORK in doom.exe.

didn't doom95.exe have more bugs than doom.exe? I remember reading a thread here once about what bugs doom95 had that doom didn't, but can't quite remember what they were...

Ugh, you idiots.

He can't get DOOM95 to work! READ WHAT HE POSTED! IT'S THE DOOM COLLECTOR'S EDITION! WHICH INSTALLS AND RUNS DOOM95 BY DEFAULT!

Doom95's directinput (joystick, mouse, etc) doesn't work in NT-based OSes such as Win2K and XP.

Heh, Arioch, it's like the 3rd time you tell them that.

Kat: you called DoomBoy's reply intelligent, when all he did was to say what was already said.

Well.. if Doom95 gets this much greif from windows XP, what about other dos games that use win 95? say.. Warcraft 2?

I really am tired hearing about people talking about their DOOM95's and Original EXE's not working under new operating systems and so forth. These exe's are old and outdated and anyone who knows anything about DOOM or has half a brain doesn't use them anymore.
Use a bloody port and stop moaning.
That's all I have to say about that.

GavinJCD

These exe's are old and outdated and anyone who knows anything about DOOM or has half a brain doesn't use them anymore.

So these guys don't know shit about Doom? :)
I'm in a very weird mood today, so I will try to explain this old-exe-why-do-you-use-it-use-a-port-instead thing from our perspective. The reason why some people (ie. speedrunners and the best deathmatchers) play the original exes is because in ports gameplay bugs that make the game more FUN and give it more DEPTH are fixed. Not the bugs that make Doom crash, but the ones that make some tricks possible, such as wallrunning, walking through bars, grabbing items from the other side of a wall or door, etc. The reason why I don't use a port is because I like grabbing the plasma rifle and wallrunning up to my opponent to fry his ass more than playing in 640x480. Using Doom2.exe is not my religion just a personal preference. I like gameplay tricks more than graphics. So what, sue me.

The original DOOM DOS Executable 1.9 works fine on most PCs, and is relatively bug-free.

I'm in a very weird mood today, so I will try to explain this old-exe-why-do-you-use-it-use-a-port-instead thing from our perspective.

As far as I know, all those "bugs" you listed are in MBF, which means they're also in Boom and PRBoom as well.

Yeh I've seen those bugs in MBF, and if you want to use the original EXE or Doom95 then go ahead, I just don't like people continuously whinging when they don't work and there are ports that they can get very easily that will work. It's called common sense.

GavinJCD

Full demo compatibility is also important, though prboom is really close to perfect now (demowise). I haven't really looked into the MBF/prboom buglist, but using only the original exes makes cheating harder, and ensures that everybody has the same chance at recording. It's not like people who prefer doom/2.exe never play ports, I personally use zdaemon to play online sometimes, tasmbf to record tool assisted runs and prboom to play wads that require a port. And zdoom to try nuts.wad in a few minutes. It's just that I play 1on1 DM and record demos only with doom2.exe