Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ljdemon

Hockey

Now I am just about the worst fan of hockey, hate it with a passion, shouldn't be a sport- however, I play NHL HITZ and that minimally redeemed me and I enjoyed playing- the violence and fighting are great for a sports game and the graphics are rather good(hitz pro). Anyone else have this same perdicament?

My friend loves hockey, and my old History teacher would get in arguments with him, over whether it was a real sport. I dont really like sports or sports games personally, except some basketball and skateboard/xtreme ones.

I just like watching Domi piss off the neophytes :P Other than that, yeah, hockey's kinda...meh. But if hockey shouldn't be a sport, than neither should baseball, golf, or cricket ;)

I'm not a sports fan myself, but trying to convince people that a certain recreational activity should or shouldn't be a sport over a different recreational activity is just fucking retarded.

Psyonisis said:

Maybe you should explain why you hate it so much.

I just don't find it entertaining in the least and I just don't see why people make such a big deal out of it. Personally I think it's overrated, but that's just my opinion. I don't like sports games because I get bored of them after about a day just because I find myself ending up playing the same teams over and over and over again each season and it just gets boring. I play it online and most people aren't any good at it, so I don't play them too often. The only sports game I ever played that I kinda like (this isn't including racing or fighting if you count those as a REAL sport) is NFL Blitz. Any of them. Besides, it also is a little boring that the only thing you have to look forward to in a new sports game is simply an updated roster or maybe better graphics.

So basically, I just don't like either because I think they're overrated and just not very entertaining.

I'm planning to take some hockey lessons this summer, along with bowling classes.

I personally think that if there's any sport out there that's overrated, it's soccer. Damn, the majority of the other punks in my class play nothing but soccer during recess, and when we try to say "hey, how about *sport*?" and they whine and moan and groan, doing what they can to get off of the different sport and back to soccer.

I think it's just plain stupid that everybody's making this big argument about whether or not something is a sport.

Sort of reminds me of a kid I knew in school named Jackson who debated with other people over some of the smallest and stupidest things. Like the matter of whether or not gum is candy. It's almost as if people are running out of reasons to do things and running out of adequate arguments. We used to fight for freedom, now we're fighting for oil and so the rich can stuff their pockets fatter. And for who? For what?

And how is it that so many sports freaks can be the biggest bullies and psychos in the world and yet people blame video games for inspiring violence? I guess people wouldn't bother to study such things because it would quickly be booed down by a majority of drooling masses. Like look what happened when they tried to ban body-checking from kids' fucking pee-wee hockey. There was a HUGE stink about bringing it back even though there was a PROVEN risk that those kids would be seriously injured.

How much more screwed up is the world gonna get? Eesh. :p

Quast said:

explanation plz

Hockey fan, eh? Well it's like bascket ball- it should only be one quarter(period). No a whole lot of strategy really not allot of required skills either- balance, accuracy, missing teeth. Football IS a sport- very strategic and sort of war like, also a real contact sport. Yes hockey has contact but it's not the same and it's always ice and cold, there's no advantages over another team and advanteges create competion(warm, cool, wind, dome, turf, grass, ect)

Hey look at me, I'm on doomworld and I'm a real big nerd. I hate all sports because they involve physical activity. However, I really think they're ok to play online because when we play online I will kick your ass! My fingers are so ripped!

ljdemon said:

Hockey fan, eh? Well it's like bascket ball- it should only be one quarter(period).

[/B]
Goddamn you're an idiot.
Why the fuck should games be 1 period? Can't reice...so just let the ice get all chopped up to hell? No time for the players to rest either? Great idea.

No a whole lot of strategy really not allot of required skills either- balance, accuracy, missing teeth.

No strategy either, eh? I don't blame you for that one. It is probably very easy for people that don't play/don't know the game to say.

To watch the game, someone that doesn't understand it, it probably looks quite chaotic and unorganized but I assure you that isn't the case. Much strategy goes into running certain plays for penatly kill, power play, forechecking, breakouts and neutral ice. Things I guarantee every team in every league practice every day. Let's also not forget line changes...what lines to put out against who, when, and for how long. And this is all done on the fly. Something that can't be said about football.

No skills? WTF? Can you skate? at high speeds? with a stick? and puck handle? and avoid defenders trying to lay you out and possibly dish out punishment yourself?

To me, hockey is a thing of beauty. Sure, you have your bone crunching hits and powerful slapshots. But hockey requires grace and agility more than anything. To see a great player with awsome skating and puck handling skills alone can be awe inspiring.

Football IS a sport- very strategic and sort of war like, also a real contact sport. Yes hockey has contact but it's not the same

Yet you claim missing teeth are required. football != hockey obviously

and it's always ice and cold, there's no advantages over another team and advanteges create competion(warm, cool, wind, dome, turf, grass, ect)

Differences in venues is the only thing that creates competition? While that's complete BS, I say it's good that hockey teams are on somewhat level ground.

But there are differences in hockey rinks. Not all ice is the same and some arenas are a few degrees warmer or colder. A few degrees, IMO can be a significant advantage over a team not used to playing/practicing in a warmer arena. Again, IMO arenas should be damn cold, because if you're out there playing, you're going to be hot as hell and sweating like crazy anyway.

In closing, it is my belief you pulled that post out of your ass in about 3 minutes. I could care less if you don't like hockey, but don't claim it doesn't require skill to play and don't compare it to football.

I play soccer, basketball and Xball.
No matter the sport you like, there will always be an asshole telling you how bad/boring it is.
Just like terrorism, they only succeed when you pay attention to them.

ljdemon said:

Hockey fan, eh? Well it's like bascket ball- it should only be one quarter(period). No a whole lot of strategy really not allot of required skills either- balance, accuracy, missing teeth. Football IS a sport- very strategic and sort of war like, also a real contact sport. Yes hockey has contact but it's not the same and it's always ice and cold, there's no advantages over another team and advanteges create competion(warm, cool, wind, dome, turf, grass, ect)

I'd like to see a football player make an accurate 98mph shot into a 6" wide crevasse (as that's about the most amount of netspace your going to have with a goalie standing in it) with a stick.

And although football has contact and injuries are worse, you don't actually have people pounding the hell out of each other on the field. Fighting is used as a tactical advantage in hockey, didn't ya know, because the guy who starts the fight winds up in the penalty box longer, and the losing side loses morale, obviously.

Furthermore, some teams, like the Toronto Maple Leafs, are at the top of their game playing four-on-four. Why I don't know, but apparently either last year or the year before, they had the highest score percentage going four-on-four. Domi's not an enforcer, after all; he's an instigator.

And as someone mentioned, some arenas are warmer than others. The slightest change in temperature changes the...constitution, if you will, of the puck. The warmer it is, the softer the puck is, so the colder it is, the harder the puck is. So, the puck moves and handles differently, too. Hockey is also faster paced, because both sides are simultaneously working offense and defense, as opposed to football where offense is, unless the ball is intercepted, taken in turns, and when someone gets smoked in hockey, the action doesn't stop; it's constantly moving.

Plus, coaches do have playbooks, iirc, so yes, there is much strategy involved. Obviously you know nothing about the sport - let alone, imo, sports in general - you're just a wandering troll. Well, wander elsewhere.

pilottobombadier said:

I'd like to see a football player make an accurate 98mph shot into a 6" wide crevasse (as that's about the most amount of netspace your going to have with a goalie standing in it) with a stick.

Obviously you know nothing about the sport - let alone, imo, sports in general - you're just a wandering troll. Well, wander elsewhere.

First, football players don't have to make a 98 mph shot into anything so as I was noticed for bad comparison between the sports yours is worse yet. I know enough about the sport to know I don't like it, my opinion. And I know plenty about other sports, fucker. As for wandering I stick with football and know everything about it, I've been following this sport since I could walk- besides this fucking post was focused on the hockey video games compared to the actual thing. Try to keep things on track.

ljdemon said:

First, football players don't have to make a 98 mph shot into anything so as I was noticed for bad comparison between the sports yours is worse yet. I know enough about the sport to know I don't like it, my opinion. And I know plenty about other sports, fucker. As for wandering I stick with football and know everything about it, I've been following this sport since I could walk- besides this fucking post was focused on the hockey video games compared to the actual thing. Try to keep things on track.

I was. This slipped from Hockey the Video Game to Hockey the Sport as soon as you started spouting about how it shouldn't even be considered a sport, etc. Big mouth, no teeth.

And you obviously missed my point - let alone everyone else's. What, you think you can walk into a place, trash someone's national sport, and not expect to get flamed? Well excusay-fuckin'-mwah (I'm too lazy to bother looking for that accented e), oh connoisseur des sports.

Pfft. Get a life, retard.

ljdemon said:

Don't fuckin say retard again you fucking prick. You obviously have no respect.

RITARD IS MUSIC

ljdemon said:

You obviously have no respect.

Respect is earned on merit, not granted upon registration. Merits here typically include being able to see beyond your own opinion and understand that of another, responding to such differences insightfully and appropriately, sharing useful knowledge and information without an attitude of meliority, knowing when you don't know enough to post anything useful, thinking ahead to the consequences of your posts (which, if you did, you might realize that one could get you losered or banned), or a sharp wit. Until you qualify for any of these, you can expect everything you say to be completely trashed. If that's too much to ask, you may shortly be relocated to a special forum where you will be hailed as a prophet of wisdom.