Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Classic Alpha for Doom 3

Played it through. Not very entertaining. They overused colored lights on all the maps which made it feel more like a disco than Doom 1. The gameplay was understandably weak, as they have not changed the monster behaviour besides the imp leap attack. The run speed is still low, except now you have infinite run (which is about the speed of the normal doomguy's walk.) All in all, I have to say that at this point I'm not too impressed with it. If you want a "modernized" E1 tribute, the best you're going to get are Agent Spork's E1 maps ;)

Im downloading now, because of boredom

UPDATE: im scared to installl it because it messes up your doom3 installation according to the readme... has anyone who played it experienced problems? this thread woudl liek to hear from you

Damn... I can't get it to work. I load the mod, click new game and the menu just disappears, the title song keeps on playing and nada happens. Very annoying... any clues? From the screenshots this looks like a neat mod and I'd love to see it, so any help is much appreciated.

Wobbo said:

UPDATE: im scared to installl it because it messes up your doom3 installation according to the readme... has anyone who played it experienced problems? this thread woudl liek to hear from you

My old savegames etc. are all fine, no problems there. Just do as it says in the readme and back-up your files, just in case...

To get it to load up , just drop console and run:

map e1m1

that will get it all started. We were having a few problems getting the gui sorted to the different starting map but hope to get it sorted asap :) .

With the running speed , we had it the other way around where-by you would always run and press shift to walk but it makes the maps go past so damn fast and the maps seemed way too small when moving with such a fast pace.
We would like to put in an auto-run feature in a later release so I hope that would be something for you to look forward too :)

Gazz said:

To get it to load up , just drop console and run:

map e1m1

that will get it all started. We were having a few problems getting the gui sorted to the different starting map but hope to get it sorted asap :) .

Excellent!

Gazz said:

[Running] makes the maps go past so damn fast and the maps seemed way too small when moving with such a fast pace.

Welcome to Doom 1 ;)

Anyways, I hope this doesn't come off as flaming, as I'm trying for it to be constructive criticism. I just hope the current maps aren't truly "final."

In the absence of the flashlight, the current maps are way too dark, especially by Doom 1 standards. I reccomend much more white light, much brighter, and much less color.

Also, I reccomend including less easter eggs, like author's names all over the map, etc.

Architecturally, however, I don't have any real problem. Besides the whacked colored lights, it does give off the feel of all of those original maps. I especially love the green armor room in E1M1, how it pops out of the little pedestal.

I know it seems to run by really fast, and it occured to me, like half of E1 is the size of one Doom 3 map. You could just try to link them all together by some sort of teleporter to cut down on loading times.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Shaikoten said:

If you want a "modernized" E1 tribute, the best you're going to get are Agent Spork's E1 maps ;)

Knee Deep in ZDoom.

I haven't noticed any problems with cdoom messing up doom 3 for me. I did have to reinstall doom 3 though, as I had some pk3 files in my base directory that clashed with it. Not a problem though, as most of them were crappy mods that I never wanted to play again anyways.

I like what they're doing with this project though. Adding in new detail to the old doom maps, but keeping the same design, and in most spots, the same gameplay. I do think that the levels could be brighter though, or at least leave the flashlight in. It's still a fun little romp through old levels in a new style though, so I enjoyed it.

Ok, aside from difficulties in starting up the game (you get extra demerits for not mentioning the "map e1m1.map" thing in your readme file - as the only way I found out was by getting told by others), the map architechture and primary use of textures is really nice, but I agree about the lighting and absence of flashlight, which gets me to the negative part of the criticism.

Firstly, here's the "personal taste" stuff that you may dismiss:
I know this is a classic Doom mod and all, but personally, I don't like removing stuff like reloading, changing the weapon hierarchy, removing stamina, makig imp fireballs fly in a straight line and altering enemy hp to keep it true to the classic game, because the result is that the D3 enemies become too easy and not nearly enjoyable enough to kill, plus the weapon balance, perfected in doom 3, has become severely unbalanced.
I would have preferred this to be Doom 3, but in a bunch of maps that look like the classic maps.

Secondly, flaws:
The shotgun is way too weak and its spread cone too narrow to stay true to the classic shotgun. Imps cannot, it seems, be killed with a single blast and I often found it difficult to kill even Z-secs with a single blast, surrprisingly finding the pistol to be a superior weapon in this regard.
But I trust you're aware of this already and will fix it before release, so it was just for the sake of pointing it out and make sure you know I (and possibly others) don't like it this way.
I was a little disappointed to find that the pinky was rarely used in positions where it was found in classic Doom - often I found myself fighting zombies, Z-secs and imps where I would be fighting a pinky in the classic and it bugs me because I feel that the pinky was underused in Doom 3 and I had looked forward to see it a bit more in this mod - in short: enemy placement differs a bit too much from the classic.
Understand, I know (or rather, I'm sure) you can't keep monster placement 100% true to the classic because of tech limits, but I'm pretty sure it'd be possible to get at least few more pinkies in there and keep imps where there were imps instead of throwing Z-secs at you instead.

Other than that, this is the best looking classic Doom Doom 3 mod I've seen yet so far. Keep working on it - I'll get the final release in any event, unless you're surpassed by another classic Doom to Doom 3 conversion.

I played it, and just loved it. I like your translation of the maps, and i like the pace of the game. Allthough D3 being per-poly hit, I thought it was a bit too easy going through the maps. But I liked it very much. Keep up the good work!