Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

freedoom 0.3

Lookin' good... It's nice to have MAP01 in there, and not having all the beeps is a big improvement too.

Those are the best doom1 maps ever !!! You should remake all of them fraggle. Maybe you should send your work in to ID software. They could use a mapper like you. Still some of them are slightly too hard. Don't see so many monster between them.

tony said:

Maybe you should send your work in to ID software. They could use a mapper like you.

I'm sure they are looking for mappers experienced in mapping for a game they made 10 years ago. Now if he had made some kick-ass Doom 3 maps or something, maybe it would be a different story.

Ajapted said:

Lookin' good... It's nice to have MAP01 in there, and not having all the beeps is a big improvement too.

The beeps drove me insane as well, thats why I removed them :-) I think it makes it a bit more playable..

A small issue with the freedoom 0.3 release is that it contains some of the original SSWV sprites from DOOM II.

I've also uploaded an update to the sailor sprites I made (is vect.org still the right place ?). Slightly less crappy now, though I'd still prefer they were removed altogether.

Ajapted said:

A small issue with the freedoom 0.3 release is that it contains some of the original SSWV sprites from DOOM II.

Sorry I'm wrong (D'oh!).

Testing freedoom under Jdoom. Most of the compatible issues are easy to fix, looks awsome on Jdoom by the way.

tony said:

Testing freedoom under Jdoom. Most of the compatible issues are easy to fix, looks awsome on Jdoom by the way.

Well, then grab the JDoom source and fix those issues. Or just use Risen3D.

Ok, so far I fix some issues with the maps. Level 1-9 in freedoom2 wad now works or can be completed in jDoom. Anyone care to test them out ? Also if I am going to upload them I'm going need some space, my ftp server just won't do it.

Just had my run, tought I need to comment on the new chaingun.
It Sucks... in my humble opinon. It's too small, a gun this caliber is supposed to be Massive! The muzzle flash is awful and doesn't look like a flash, more like some gealy thingy.

Gargoyle-man, I think You should make the weapon larger. I believe You have all the stuff in a 3d model, so You can render it again to get some nicer looking sprites. Some parts of the gun revealed on the screen might look badassed. I think if the barrels were shorter You could have some space to show off the rest of the gun-with some tech parts-chambers, locks, tech stuff and such, I think it would make the gun much more Massive and attractive as a weapon. Maybe You could boolean-some holes in the barrels, or slap a texture of a brushed metal eh?

Keep up the good work people! :D

tony said:

Level 1-9 in freedoom2 wad now works or can be completed in jDoom.

How much did you change ? I think if it's only minor stuff like how fast a door opens, then it ought to be accepted. If the changes more extensive than that, I guess you will need agreement from the original authors.

The change is almost impossible to notice. Most of the change had to do with doors not opening, floors not lowering, switch won't execute. Theres not very much changes in the map design either.

I decide not to change them to work with doom2.exe since other engine are able to run them without plane flow problems.

There's something wrong with level 4 in the shareware version of freedoom. It crash the elumators. At first I thought it was jDoom and map issue then it done it again with 3Drisen. All of the other map seem to be ok however.

tony said:

There's something wrong with level 4 in the shareware version of freedoom. It crash the elumators. At first I thought it was jDoom and map issue then it done it again with 3Drisen. All of the other map seem to be ok however.

What are elumators?

It may just be a jdoom problem - since risen3d inherits from jdoom, it may be that it inherited the bug and none of the other ports suffer. Elaborate and we can investigate.

You could see it for yourself, I'm more then sure it will happen to anyone. All the other levels work fine so it has to be something. I try finding it in doombuilder but I don't notice anything out of the oridanry

I'm seeing problems in ZDoomGL that I haven't seen outside Freedoom. Stuff like pillars rising but not changing visually (still there but can be walked through), HOM on the backside of doors that corrects itself when I use the door, etc. I wonder if it's the GL nodes that are in the IWAD. I wonder if it would do better with those stripped out.

It been about a month now and I'm wondering if there's a link for the jdoom map I edit for freedoom. I would like to see this and continue working on it if the file has a place to be store. Also I would like peoples input. Think it will be good for the linux users.

I'm curious as to what you've done exactly in order to fix these problems.

JDoom does not support Boom extensions and because of this, Freedoom under JDoom is likely to have some problems. The best way to fix problems like this would be to work on JDoom and add Boom support. It is not sufficient to simply edit the maps to attempt to work around problems, as a large number of Boom effects are not reproducible in the original Doom engine.

Could you please provide some more information about what exactly you've changed in your work?

Please dont think I'm trying to sound ungrateful for what you've done; obviously problems can come in a variety of forms. It does sound like there are some rendering errors in levels which obviously need to be fixed.

Ultraviolet said:

I'm seeing problems in ZDoomGL that I haven't seen outside Freedoom. Stuff like pillars rising but not changing visually (still there but can be walked through), HOM on the backside of doors that corrects itself when I use the door, etc. I wonder if it's the GL nodes that are in the IWAD. I wonder if it would do better with those stripped out.

Dismissed as ZDoomGL bug, by the way.

Ok, I will really like to stress that the purpose of this project isn't to make everything in a map 100% workable.

My aim is to make the doom map passable for jDoom players. So stuff like monster not spawning, bodies not floating, barrows not traveling on belts, multiple function for switches "won't be expected" to be implemented in.

The goal is to provide the jdoom freedoom with the same map, textures, design, sprites, layout and feel of the original freedoom map.

So the chances are people who play the freedoom jDoom map and the Freedoom Boom map will hardly know the differences.

The reason I like this idea is so that linux users can play a part in freedoom 3D eye candy development so that new and other games can develop from it.