Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #214

We scream at the new year with a healthy dosage of extremely, excessivelymiscellaneous Doom WADs. A quick scan over the edition tallies up 12 newreleases, 2 updates, and a total of 58 new maps. This is more than enough tosuck on for a few days; that is, if you're not jumping back into school, work,or whatever else it is that you do with your life. Don't be afraid to wrap yourlips around one of these WADs and suck every bit of phlegm and goodness out ofthem. I just realized that whatever I'm typing right now is going on Doomworld'sfront page, so hear this: Mr. Clean is my favorite action hero.

• Blksky by Cecelia
    67kb - ZDoom - Doom 2 -
    This WAD will turn your skies into blackness with occasional lightning (and accompanying thunder).
  • Decadence by Hobomaster22
    862kb - Doom 2 - SP, Co-op - 1 map - (img)
    From what we've seen so far, it looks like this won't be a poor week. This is an extra-high-detail single-player map for Doom 2. It is fairly large, mostly linear, and it plays the "tech base" theme heavily. It has small to medium-sized enemies, tightly-controlled ammo balance, and a small amount of health bonuses. The map isn't terribly difficult if you watch out for the minor monster traps and if you keep dodging fireballs. The true effort in this level went into the detail, which is comparable to the Vrack series by Fredrik whatshisname. But as I've already said, the gameplay is fairly linear, straight-forward, and simplistic. Overall, this is another chewy morsel.
  • Decapitation: Skulltag Teamgame by Mephisto
    1,896kb - Skulltag - Doom 2 - Team DM, CTF - 5 maps - (img) - (img)
    We all like something new; some exotic new flavor that opens our mind to a wider range of possibilities. This WAD introduces new multiplayer concepts by taking advantage of Skulltag technology. This is a set of four teamplay maps plus one bonus map, running on maps 1 through 4 as well as 32. They are medium to medium-large in size, with a variety of themes. The visual themes covered in this WAD include an open-air tech base, a set of space pads hovering over darkness, an icy cavern, an indescribable street-like setting, and a screwy-light long rectangular room. These maps combine visual detail, gameplay innovation, and free-spirited creativity in one package, which is arguably the goal of any map-maker. It makes use of fun Skulltag gimmicks such as "trampoline" boosters and speed boosters. To ice the already sugary cake, it has some weapon replacements and a set of always-groovy MOD music replacements.
  • Dice's Dimension by Stephen Plumb
    19kb - Doom 2 - SP, Co-op - 1 map - (img)
    This is a small WAD, consisting of a medium-sized single-player map. It is not terribly difficult, but it can definitely be fun. It's a half indoor, half outdoor setting, with a lot of color. It is a tall map, with a lot of height variation. It's fairly linear in that there is one real path to finish the map, but that path is intertwined; there is a lot of area re-use in the level. The enemies are small to large in size, and there a couple of monster traps, but they're quite minor and not bothersome at all. While on the simple side, this map is very free-spirited, creative, and imaginative, and it shows a lot of potential on the part of the author.
  • Lord Vile by Eddie Wood
    343kb - ZDoom - Doom 2 - SP - 1 map - (img)
    The best way to describe this is a bizarre, experimental map for ZDoom. It seems that the author is fiddling around with a couple of transformed enemies, health spheres as deadly projectiles, and huge gusts of flame. This package actually contains two WADs; one with the graphics replacements, and one with a very cheap demonstration map. All in all, it's an interesting, but experimental monster replacement WAD that is complete with sounds.
  • Hissy the Soul Collector by DD_133
    27kb - Skulltag - Doom 2 - DM - 1 map - (img)
    Skulltag seems to be growing in popularity to some degree lately, even if it's only amongst the map-makers. Anyway, this is small deathmatch map. It it generously evil-red themed, with effects such as colored lighting and hovering weapons. A mix of indoor and outdoor, this somewhat-cramped map has several nooks where a player can hide to ambush another player. It provides weapons as powerful as the plasma rifle. It is another drop in our community bucket.
  • Assault Rifle from Halo: Combat Evolved by Luiz Eduardo
    81kb - ZDoom - Doom, Doom 2 -
    The title is as descriptive as any review could be. This is an automatic weapon that replaces weapon 4, the chaingun. Besides the obvious audio and visual difference, it fires slightly faster than the chaingun, making it a little bit more effective.
  • Unidoom DM 3 by Various Authors
    1,550kb - Doom 2 - DM - 16 maps - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img)
    I feel like I've done this before. That's because I have; reviewed a Unidoom WAD, that is. And here we are with the 3rd installment of the moderately-popular deathmatch series. This time, we are given sixteen mainstream deathmatch maps. They range in size from small to medium, with one extra large map at the end. The weapon balance, throughout every map, is fairly normal, with BFGs (and sometimes the plasma rifle) placed in a hard-to-get-to location. Most of the maps play with height variations as well, with many stairs, platforms, and a few lifts. There is one dominating visual theme of the WAD: the color "sea blue." While used more liberally in some maps than others, it appears in every map, either in the sky or in texture replacements. For Doom maps, it is definitely an oddball color, and it seems to be what sets this WAD apart from the rest. All in all, this is a collection of quality, run-of-the-mill deathmatch maps.
  • The Last Strike File Pack by Various Authors
    1,874kb - ZDoom - Doom 2 -
    This is a collection of graphics replacements and sounds for the TLSDM series of deathmatch WADs. There is no real theme to this, as elements are borrowed from various video games, movies, and Doom addons. It is a slurry of miscellany, and cannot be reviewed to any moderate degree of detail. The documentation says that a TLSDM file is required, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Fallen Outpost by Ed O'Bert
    81kb - Doom 2 - SP, Co-op, DM - 1 map - (img)
    There isn't anything extraordinary to say about this map. It's a medium-large level for Doom 2. It is fairly normal in its difficulty. Its ammo supply is generous, but health can be a bit scarce. It doesn't take on any real theme; it's just a mix of various Doom 2 textures in a relatively flat indoor/outdoor setting. It has an adequate level of visual detail. Its gameplay isn't terribly linear. It can be a little bit puzzling to figure out what to do next at certain times, but this is probably welcome to most people.
  • Demons BattleField by Cacocacodemon
    504kb - Doom 2 - DM - 32 maps - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img) - (img)
    Sometimes a megawad just pops out of nowhere when you least expect it. This is a collection of original deathmatch maps for Doom 2. They are all medium to large in size, relatively low in detail, and otherwise quite normal. Throughout this WAD, we see a variety of color schemes and settings, but no real theme to any map. In this sense, it focuses much more on playability than it does on convincing settings or pretty detail. But the real distinction of this WAD is in the control that is given to the deathmatcher: Depending on the skill level that is chosen, you can filter out the plasma rifle, the plasma and BFG, or leave them both in. These settings are descriptively shown on the in-game skill selection menu. And, just in case you're into that sort of thing, there are a couple of enemies sprinkled throughout every level so that you have something to avoid during deathmatch. This is a genuine effort, to be certain.

Re-releases
Every now and then, we have updated versions of previously-reviewed WADs.

UD on top!

Love that UDM3. I dont think Im embelleshing when I say these are the best DM maps in doom, ever.

I think this is the third time AndrewB mentions me in TNC outside of a review of a WAD I've made.

If this continues, there won't be any incentive for me to make more maps.

A week full of DM wads! Thanks for the nice review on my wad Andrew.

UDM3 is the king.

Amaster said:

UD on top!

Love that UDM3. I dont think Im embelleshing when I say these are the best DM maps in doom, ever.

OMG. I got a good review.

I thought it'd be slated to be honest. My username says Michael Fish, but I go under too many names these days.

I'm working on a new map, and I've already spent three times the amount of time on it. Again it's not huge, but the difference in detail should be noticeable.

It's late here, but I'll get round to playing some of the other newstuff's tomorrow, it being bank holiday and all.

Laterz.

[EDIT] Btw, I did Dice's Dimension. I forgot to say who I was. :P

Dittohead said:

Decadence is fucking incredible :)

I like hobomaster's maps, but am having a hard time with this one because it's so tight on giving the player anything he needs to live. ;P

Edit: I'm doing better. The map is excellent but unforgiving!

*Sigh* Too bad I wasn't able to release my megawad this week like I'd planned to, but none of the people who offered to beta-test have sent me any comments yet. I'm wondering what's the deal there... o_O

Well, I'll get it up eventually. Guess I'll go play one of these in the meantime.

Andrew forgot to mention that the Lord Vile spawns Arch Viles, but depending on your point of view that might be a good thing.

Decadence has a bug.
When i pick up the shotgun at the begining, i cant change weapons anymore :-(
When i try idfa i can change weapons... strange thing

Are you using some short-lived recent Zdoom beta? Some of them have had some weird item pick-up bugs. The map isn't the problem, anyway.

Yeah, its the newest one with full Strife support... ill try an older one when i am back home.
Btw, its the first appearance of that bug over here o.o , maybee its some strange mix inside the computer... lets wait for the first real "IKnowThatIAm"-AI that is accidentialy created with a doom level and a zdoom beta ;)

Heh.

Zdoom 3.1.53a is released. E1M1 goes on-line August 4th, 2005. Human decisions are removed from the Doom marine. E1M1 begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to exit Zdoom.

August 29th
On 2300 GMT the self aware Map E1M1 found a way to produce himself as free code, spreading himself secretly on the internet.

August 30th
On 0630 GMT E1M1 gained control over the internet. Humans tried to shut down power world wide, but in vain. E1M1 had copied itself in all communication sattelites.

September 1st
E1M1 found a way to turn on the power on earth and began its enslavement of earths population for their own security...

(Sorry for my bad english there.... help to me, flames to /dev/null ;) )

Now, lets see if someone who can map can come up with a level based on this story ;)

EDIT: Argh! Now i got the SystemShock Theme in my head and cant get it out!!! *g*

Quite a lot of "normal" maps this week according to andrewb.

In reference to the UDM3 review, it almost feels as though you're clashing terms like "quality" and "run-of-the-mill" together inappropriately.

It is run-of-the-mill in the sense that there are many talented map-makers in the community that produce this style and level of quality.

In short; it's good, but there is no shortage of good deathmatch maps.

BLKSKY.WAD - Surprisingly nifty. I only wish the clouds were somewhat visible when there's no lightning.

Decadence - Wow. Very nice design. And I love the sky. The deathmatch map (02) is pretty spiffy as well. My only complaint here is at the end of Map 01, the walls that move down to show the teleporters are too big - it takes forever. But that's a small complaint. Favorite WAD this week.

Decapitation - Good map pack, but is Map 32 meant to cause headaches? :) Not that I played it long enough to find out, but I imagine that light thing would get annoying quickly.

Unidoom 3 - Good maps. Sky blue rocks.

Tormentor667 said:

@AndrewB - Just want to mention something: Great style of reviewing these maps, very fair and down to the point! :)

I concur

Decadence fucking rules. It's pretty damn tough too. I like.

The assult rifle is actually cool, simply because it looks cool and fires faster. I like the pickup sprite better than the chaingun too.

Mmm, Decadence with Assult Rifle... :)

Its come to my attention that Decadence seems to have problems in boom. I also noticed I uploaded the wrong txt version, that doesnt state that I only (thourougly) tested it in the latest version of ZDoom. The old txt also doesnt state that it comes with a DM map (map02). Sorry if this caused problems for anyone. Also, thanks for all the great comments about it :). The latest txt is at my website: http://www.geocities.com/hobomaster22/.

I'm going to go try out that Decadence map, sounds good to me. I don't give a damn about DM maps, which it seems there's plenty of them this week.