Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dojomann

Doom 3 Water Capabilities?

I have a custom map for the Doom 3 alpha. this was made before its release. It has early water capabilities. Reflection and sprite air bubbles. Since its not completed it feels more like no clipping mode then swimming. Maybe all water elements were removed in the final version of the engine. I'm sure though Quake 4 will make use of water.

if doom3 had water, it would've undoubtedly beat the crud outta Half-Life 2 hands down. Seeing as one of the most "exciting" features of HL2 is it's water.

I dunno, I don't think anybody really gives a shit about the water cause of the interactibility and ai in hl2.

There are no water capabilities built in to doom 3, but im sure mod makers are hard at work developing it.

im not sure if that was sarcastic really, but seriously it IS possible, the same way bots are possible

Doom3 can do water just as well as HL2 can, or any other game to date for that matter. It just wasnt used in the stock maps. But people have done it. I dont have any screenies on hand though.

Yup, the thing I like about D3's water is that it's a lot more subtle, ergo more realistic, than HL2's. Sure, I liked HL2's, but man.....D3's water is something special.

Oh and Dojo, I see you found your way to the DW forums here, as well. Welcome, old friend. :D

D3's water can be as subtle or overdone as the designer wants it to be. It's all done with shaders.

omg Relica! you're in these forums! hehe, too bad you're not admin here eh? lol, always nice to meet old friends.

At Team Future, we also got our own water effect. Info about that can be found at the Team Future forums.

Man, it's gonna be interesting to see mods using water effects - I'm certainly not used to seeing water in the doom 3 engine.

Admittedly, I don't care much about water in a FPS (to me it's monster and weapon design first - and then everything else second or third), but seeing something not done in the source game is always exciting.

wow. where is that from? also, i was wondering if someone could post a shot of some "reflective" water.

EDIT: i think i just noticed that the above shot's water is reflective.

That'd be sweet if they'd have some swimming enemies, where when you kill them theres a cloud of blood in the water. With D3's engine that would fucking rock! Not to mention that they've never had a water enemy in the Doom games.

footman said:

Sure. One word: Hydrocon. ;)

Exactly, considering you've got running water for the lavatorys...

I can't wait to see what water in Doom 3 looks like in the flesh though, for now I'm loving these screenies :).

yea it is. its not quake 3 man.. its just a q3 styled mod.

EDIT: nvm.. i think im wrong, ur right... im really confused.