Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Teh good and bad of 2004

Time to reflect on the year that was. Share with us, Your highsand lows form 2004, wether they be for you personally, of the world at large.

Teh Good:

• Passed my TAFE corse.
  • Met a wonderful young lady.
  • San Andreas managed to exceed all my expectations. and I expected a lot.
  • Turned 21. (But that dosn't really mean as much here as it dose in, say, the USA.) Now, I am a man!
  • A big fat new computer!
  • Doomworld still greets me like an old friend. I'm still not sick of you guys, or of doom.
Teh Bad:
  • Still Unemployed and Living with my folks.
  • Failing my drivers test... Twice! this carries an extra sting as my younger brother has his, and a job to go with it. Do you know how humiliating it is to rely on a younger sibling for transport?
  • the young lady mentioned is out of town. and I'm not sure when I'll see her again.
  • certain pair of world leaders getting re-elected, though, I didn't go as insane as some of my fellow lefties did. Christ.
  • That nasty title wave. I take comfort that the news stations did get their priorities right with the coverage. I’m glad we still have most of the vales I liked about this country.

So, if A+ = Moved into a mansion/invented the best thing ever/Married girl/boy of your dreams
and F- = Caught terminal illness/Lost family in air crash/went to gaol

I give this year a C. I wasn't thrilled about it, but I lived.

I'd give mine a B+ mainly because of World of Warcraft being so awesome.

and heheh hehehh hehh you said title wave

Hmm...the good consisted of the following for me:

• Being able to go to Japan and live there for 3.5 months
  • Getting to a point where I can start thinking entirely in Japanese during a conversation (no head-translation)
  • Getting Linux configured well-enough for full-time, exclusive use on my laptop
  • Passing Max300 on maniac in DDR, as well as other 10-foot songs
  • Getting TeamKill reorganized, complete with new team members, a new project which is already well on its way, and a new website.
  • Other minor stuff I think I've forgotten at the moment.
The bad:
  • Still single
  • Getting a horrible Japanese class in Japan at Kansai Gaidai, the school I went to, and becomming a quarter behind because of it
  • Getting the lock on my car door broke. Now I have to get in by opening the trunk, pulling a string that is run through my back seat, attached to my door handle, and unlocking it that way
  • Not finishing Kill like I wanted to
  • Not finishing the recording of my new album
  • Big arguments with my mom about me being an atheist
  • Making an ass out of myself with a really cool, beautiful Japanese girl I liked
  • Finding out that my mom has screwed my credit up so bad that I might as well have none. Not to mention she put me in debt over $2,500. All due to my ignorance of trusting her, I admit
Overall...I'd rate the year a B or B-. It was pretty good, with Japan really making it a good year...but there were some rough times. I'm eager for this year, though, as it feels like it'll be a good one.

E - because it's probably ruined my future. thanks to all my slacking in 04 I'm gonna have to really haul ass in 2005.

Turned 18, learned to speak gangsta and got a job - small plusses.

Set impossible goals, fallen for impossible girls and set back my education - minuses

I exaggerate, I had a brilliant time, but this year has definitly held me back.

2004 for me had potential to be the best year, but it really wasn't. It seemed to progress worse and worse as the months rolled on. Without having to go into great detail, I'd say 2004 was a B, it has nothing on 2003.

C-

yet another pointless passing of days. 40 more years of this or so until I retire?

fuck

Epyo said:

and heheh hehehh hehh you said title wave

Maybe he was referring to the reckless distribution of unflattering custom titles in this forum in the past year. It did get a proper amount of publicity, after all.

Good stuff

• Mom recovering from a usually fatal disease
  • Getting my driver's license
  • Finishing yet another Doom project
  • Getting a great job that I actually love to go to. Great pay too.
  • Being asked to join the Swarthmore college jazz band.
  • Maturing as a person due to many of life's hard experiences and becoming stronger for it.
  • Bush winning election.
Not so good stuff
  • Rough Break up with a girl I loved
  • Dad causing problems for family again
  • Getting stuck in a relationship that, due to certain circumstances I cannot escape from for a long time.(Very long story)
So I guess technically the goods outweigh the bads for me. The few bad things are pretty crappy to me though. However, I'll rate this year at least a B average if not a B+. 2005 should be a lot better if things go as I anticipate them.

The best thing? Either starting college, or finding a website called bigfurs. I met some really cool people there.

The worst? Having my mom die at a time when I needed her strength the most.

Bad

• Broke up with girlfriend after 16 months
Good
  • Broke up with girlfriend after 16 months
  • College is nice
  • I've matured myself in every way, sort of

Good :

Moving to Toronto, getting out of Springfield and the US .. yay
Finding a job up here
Volunteering for 2 months instead of sitting on my ass over the summer
Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Tribes Vengeance all released :O
Created Hordes of Chaos series :O

Bad :

Moving to Toronto, have to meet new friends .. alot of people here are busy, it's hard to break in :/
Still living with parents up here .. hopefully I'll get a job that will allow me to get a cheap apartment soon.

The Good Stuff:

-Uploading my Demon Abundance WAD to the idgames Archives and receiving a 4-star rating.
-Getting accepted on DarkHaven's team to work as a mapper for a project which is currently code-named "X-DOOM".
-Learning how to map for a game which uses the Quake2 engine after so many years of fearing it!
-Getting my first ever part-time job! (It's about freaking time, I'm 20 already!)

The Bad Stuff:

-Still single
-Still have too much post-secondary education to go through
-Still can't convince my parents that I'm not wasting my time by working on mods for games :(

the good

developed in a positive manner, both artistically and as a person.
    near finished my first novel
    got a real job
    the picard song
the bad
    lucid web design studios turned out to be a really bad idea, costing me money and friendships
    deleted half said novel, because most of it sucked
    I'm not as funny as I used to be
the ugly
    internet relationship goes bad, husband of hope probably not best pleased.
    real life relationship goes bad, husband of maggie probably not best pleased.
    I'm still a worthless space cadet.
Overall, 2004 was fun for the most part.

THE GOOD
* Got a copy of Half-Life 2, which despite the install pains, is one of the most involving shooters I've played this year.
* Played the Doom 3 demo and really want the full version now.
* Got a new computer (a 3.0 GHz Dell Dimension 8300, 512 MB RAM and a Geforce FX 5200 - better than my old one).
* I touched a Nintendo DS. I want one now.
* Bought MGS: The Twin Snakes, which rules much more than MGS2 (classic story with cool moves).
* Moved back to my home state of Oregon, from Colorado (Spanish for "moron" according to my dad)

THE BAD
* I can't remember anything, really, because I prefer to forget about the bad.

THE UGLY
* My banana creme & Nilla wafer pudding after a couple of weeks in the fridge. Yuck.

Good: Didn't finish below 76% in a class the entire year (with about 18 classes)

Bad: Didn't win the $10M lottery

B-

Good
* Graduated from high school
* Moved to my own apartment
* Went to university and passed the first term effortlessly
* Cut my hair
* Acquired a miscellany of new skills

Bad
* Many things, but now I got tired of writing.

I give this year 0.78926624515201113994 (give or take 0.2) out of 1.

My 22nd year as a human being on this planet was fairly mediocre...nothing too bad, but then nothing really special happened to me. Overall, I'd give '04 a C.

Hrm.....

The good:
* Got a few nice new games
* Finished mapping my megawad (finally)
* Still have a decent interest in Doom
* Coded my own frontend in VB6
* Finally figured out which college I'm going to
* Erm... I didn't crash and burn somewhere! Go me!

The bad:
* Still single. ¬_¬
* None of my beta-testers will REPLY with their comments to my megawad (if you're out there, c'mon... I've already missed the deadline I wanted...)
* Finally figured out that the community college I'm currently going to is full of shit (as are, apparantly, many others)
* Still can't figure out how exactly to get off my ass and get a good job this summer (spring is out, damned classes)

.............C. :-/

Anything along those lines can't possibly be considered good until you are in the absence of it for at least a little while.

(Translation: Those who have always been single can't possibly think of it as good)

ravage said:

Wow you people think being single is bad?

If You want my honest opinon-yes.

B. Overall this has been a pretty good year, completely disparate yet not disparagingly disimilar to Fredrik's

Good

• Two relationships that actually worked for awhile
  • Vicky
  • Well I passed my degree with a high 2:1 so I am now doing the course I wanted to Exeter, that has to be good.
  • Going to Exeter Uni as a postgrad with it's excellent English department and really being independant, as in far away from everything I've known, for a change. That's a big overdue tick in my life box.
  • My car insurance is getting cheaper and cheaper :)
  • I've met some interesting people and made some good new friends.
  • I bought a very cool r/c monster truck for xmas. I love it!
  • I got back to playing six-a-side football again.
  • I lost weight (now 80kg @ 6' 1")
  • I'm still a mod at Doomworld.
Bad
  • Two relationships failed because I'm essentially boring.
  • Vicky
  • Having to accept that not everyone finds me as funny these days.
  • Having to accept that that's probably because I'm getting old :(
  • Realising that I got too used to a comfortable detached house for my own good.
  • Running a car, any car, gets more and more ludicrously expensive in this sodding country, also too many speed cameras, fags.
  • I've met some pretty fucking annoying people this year too.
  • Six-a-side football was knackering!
  • I'm broke and my overdraft is too big.
  • I'm not an admin here yet.
My New Year's Resolution is to get a job in Exeter and try and reduce my overdraft.