Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacknife

DeeP tutorial

I'm trying to make levels on DeeP, and I used the tutorial on the program, but I'm still confused on how to do a bunch of things. I was wondering where I can find a really detailed tutorial to get me started off. Or better yet, could somebody PLEEEASE help answer my questions. I'd beg and plead for somebody to answer my questions if this wasn't a forum. Seriously. Anyways, I promise that my maps won't suck.
I'd much appreciate the help.

I don't know of any Deepsea tutorials other than the one that comes with it. You're better off taking the time to experiment with it. Anyways, exactly what type of questions do you have?

Shit, I don't want to have to experiment. It won't let me test wads (from the button, that is) and when I played a test wad I made, the wad itself wasn't changed at all. I have no clue what to do or why it did that. Also, one REALLY important question: what do the upper unpeg and lower unpeg options do?

I wouldn't suggest testing wads from within the program itself; I never could get that to work, even with the paths set right. I'm not quite sure why your wad doesn't seem to be getting saved... going to File >> Save should work, unless of course it tells you to go back and fix a fatal error, which would probably crash doom.

As for upper and lower unpeg flags, those are used to tell doom where to start drawing a texture on a wall, either from the top or bottom, respectively. For example, if you have a room that's 64 tall, and you check the lower unpeg flag for the walls in that room, all of thr textures will align themselves from the bottom up. Experiment with it, its an essential feature if you want to save time from aligning textures manually.

Testing any port works 100% and always has.(Except Vavoom, haven't messed with that lately - seems there's something else odd now required or else the level I was trying it didn't like)

The 3D editing is similar to the way it launches any port - same code actually. But in all cases the patch name to the port has to be correct and the working directory has to be correct for some of the ports.

If it doesn't launch the port then it's also simple, the path to the game is incorrect. Use the browsing button to set the path. For JDOOM you need to set the working directory back one level. That's really a bug in JDOOM.

If it does not work, meaning it launches Doom or the port, then the problem is simple: the port doesn't recognize the file path as passed.

For DOOM, you must use simple file names and simple paths. IOW, all 8 characters or less and no blanks. The symptom for any path error (meaning it's not recognized by the port) is that it plays the original DOOM level, not your level. You can try short filenames or quotes and see how that works out.

As far as "tutorials", that's not enough to know exactly what you are asking. If you are asking about DOOM, there;s a tutorial level and a tutorial explanation for the level (DOOM2TUT.WAD). All you need to do is click on Help and select the various direct links given there.

This tutorial is a general explanation of how DOOM does stuff, nothing fancy, just the basics. Covers lifts, doors and stuff like that. After that each port has it's own set of way to do stuff.

There area also 2 HEXEN tutorial levels (HEXENTUT.WAD and SCRIPTS.WAD) and text file that gives you a general introduction to scripting, but it's for HEXEN. It's the same as for ZDOOM though.

Will Deep (or does it) have a feature like "Make into sector" somewhat like Dmapedit used to have? I always found this to be a handy buidling tool, since redrawing the sector can sometimes take a while.

Veddge said:

Will Deep (or does it) have a feature like "Make into sector" somewhat like Dmapedit used to have? I always found this to be a handy buidling tool, since redrawing the sector can sometimes take a while.

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I think you mean assigning a different sector number to something you've already drawn since you mention redrawing a sector.

This gets confusing because of sort of improper terminalogy. In any editor you really don't draw "sectors", but that's the term used, so we'll work with that term here:)

What you do draw are linedefs with sidedefs and those sidedefs point to "sectors". To generate a new sector for existing lindefs (the area which you are probaby calling a "sector") can be done 3 different ways:

1. You edit the linedef properties and manually assign a different sector number. This is usually done to fix "sector not closed" mistakes.

2. You select the linedefs (that make up the area or "sector" you are interested in) and press the INS key. It then asks whether to create a new sector number for side1 or side2. For the side picked, it creates a new sector. This works best if ALL the lines point in the same direction.

3. You select the linedefs as in #2 and then select from the Check Mennu "Auto Fix Sector". This attempts to automatically correct any incorrect sector references.

There's a section in the help titled "Sector not closed" that gives a brief overview of how all this works.

deep said:

1. You edit the linedef properties and manually assign a different sector number. This is usually done to fix "sector not closed" mistakes.

By the way, is this possible with Doom Builder? I am getting used to the idea of letting the editor assign sectors for me in most cases, but I'd like to have the possibility to manually change line-to-sector assignments.

One more thing, if any newbie mappers like me have any questions about how to do stuff, post it here instead of making a new thread. Please and thanks.