Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

In-Span, More Like In-Gone!

Wow that was lame. Anywho, Ty Halderman, TeamTNT lead-guy, /idgames Archive maintainer (not the database on DW, the actual ftp with the files on it), and all-around cool guy has informed us that the in-span.net mirror of /idgames (currently at ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/) will no longer with us in the near future. As such you should use these other mirrors for all your classic Doom downloading needs:

In-Span goes bye-bye after today, so you only have a scant few hours left to download from it! Hurry!

Yes, this is "just" the primary mirror vanishing. The master (which has limited capacity) is still alive, as are several good mirrors.

Sad day indeed. At the very least, archives.3dgamers.com is still up, which means nothing else goes down. Ah, the joys of mirroring.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111ONEONEONEONEONEONE

Now I gotta get used to all the other mirrors, there goes typing in direct links to stuff manually(don't ask heh :P). And my good download speed.

Bye bye in-span and stuff!

Well, this sucks. I think. I don't download very often, so I'll have yet to determine if this is going to effect me.

Wait, this is the one from Indiana? Shit, there goes my download speeds.

RIP. It's gone to that big demon slaughterfest in the sky.

Son of a bitch. Well it could be worse, we could be downloading from gamespy.

Wow. Didn't see this coming. Sux0r. Well at least they mirrored the archives for as long as they did (3+ years?). Anyone know why they're stopping?

exp(x) said:

Wait, what happened to cdrom.com? :P

rofl, welcome to four years ago

Jacknife said:

Son of a bitch. Well it could be worse, we could be downloading from gamespy.

or worse: 3ddownloads.

dethtoll said:

*shivers and twitches*

Only nice thing about 3ddownloads is they don't make you wait in line for files under 100kb. I can never Resume downloads from them though. That sucks.

Pretty bad news... many links and URLs point directly to In-Span. The DSDA, for instance, has most of its links pointed there. Oh well, thanks In-Span for the contribution.

The "home" page of the archive is here. Perhaps Ty will update it and indicate whether any of the servers is the main one now, or if we should just use our discretion and geographical (or net-graphical) sense. Doomworld's idgames mirror selector is of course, great help in a situation like this. The aforementioned home page already lists another dead American server (that I gather never worked, actually.)

BlackFish said:
gamers.org is still way better than in-span.

Whatever. That's not a mirror, and shouldn't generally be used for stable linking, because:

The 3DGamers page notes:
For downloads, you are strongly advised to use the primary download server at ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/, or one of the other mirrors listed below:

myk said:

Perhaps Ty will update it and indicate whether any of the servers is the main one now

I understand that sunet is destined for that honour. Primary download server, that is.

Awww crap! I always got over 200kb/s with the Indiana server, all the other mirrors struggle to go half that speed for me.

RIP In-Span and may your spirit not be killed by the demons in the sky.

dethtoll said:

GAAH!!! It takes forever to get stuff from it. Plus it's the ONLY way to get any of Cory Whittle's recent material.

EDIT: WTF!!! I was able to get to In-span by clicking the link Cyb gave us. And I was able to Download from it!!

I've taken a closer look at the "unfashionable" Greece mirror (National Technical University of Athens), and it works very well (for me, at least).

It also has a search feature (only for filenames, but still convenient), and there's general info here. It can also be accessed via http, for those who have problems with ftp for whatever reason.

So, er, let's hope it's mirroring 3dgamers or sunet, and not in-span.

Oops. Time to change the demo .txt template... ;-)

I always used SUNET (and yes, it's supposed to be capitalized since it's an abbreviation) anyways. It's very fast, has http support, and isn't likely to pull the plug anytime soon (if ever).

EDIT: And, Grazza, it allows searches for filenames AND free text. :-)

MasterOFDeath said:

Now I gotta get used to all the other mirrors, there goes typing in direct links to stuff manually(don't ask heh :P). And my good download speed.

Bye bye in-span and stuff!

Nice example of what you could do:

[robin@salamanteri robin]$ echo "wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/$1" > doomget
[robin@salamanteri save]$ chmod +x doomget
[robin@salamanteri save]$ ./doomget levels/doom2/a-c/blahblah.zip

And replace the mirror address with your favorite :) Of course you can do just the same with windows in a DOS .BAT-file if you install wget for windows...

Grazza said:

I've taken a closer look at the "unfashionable" Greece mirror (National Technical University of Athens), and it works very well (for me, at least).

I've been using that mirror for ages: It seems to be more up-to-date than the other mirrors.