Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Airbag

Instant Replay in soccer?

Hopefully soon, because of atrocities like this:

The action in the above picture did somehow not result in a goal. No, it's not an optical illusion, the ball really is about three feet over the line.

It doesn't help our Europe chances when we get robbed of two crucial points after an extremely hard-fought match defensively on the road against one of the top teams in the league.

Ralphis said:

Duh it's because the world hates America

Good thing America has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Kid Airbag said:

It doesn't help our Europe chances when we get robbed of two crucial points after an extremely hard-fought match defensively on the road against one of the top teams in the league.

Unfortunately, getting robbed against Man Utd (especially at Old Trafford, where a ref who supports them is often used) is a common practice due to the fact that the powers-that-be favour them.

It needs to be done (to prevent more scandalous abuses of power to help Man Utd like that one), but unfortunately that's how the powers-that-be like it. With video replays they wouldn't be able to favour the top teams, and as the whole sport is corrupt I can't see it happening unfortunately.

Interesting topic. I didn't catch that game but I did hear of the controversy following it.

The Swedish FA C.E.O., Lars-Åke Lagrell today expressed a willingness to try using goal cameras (and possibly other equipment) in Swedish league play, as a test.BTW, he was also one of the first advocates of using equipment that would allow the spectators to watch instant replays of "delicate" situations during the match. Although at first heavily critizised, this is now a standard feature at Swedish venues (for top flight football). Among other things we were quick to try out is the not quite so successful kick-in (like a throw-in but using your feet). However, Mr. Lagrell expressed clearly that the matter was out of his hands, and that UEFA has to approve and endorse such a trial period. As he put it, it is not the Swedish FA's business to actively campaign for the use of goal cameras/offside cameras by the referees.

Who knows? It's not impossible we'll see trials carried out here in the near future.

We all know the governing bodies of football are highly conservative, and it's unlikely that we will see a change of this nature in the next decade, at least.

Personally, I'd consider any such change welcome. I have always wondered why football, unlike ice hockey, doesn't have absolute timing, but rather an arbitrary "overtime".

EDIT: Re-worded some bits.

I think there should be instant repay. I.e. when something like this happens the nukes get launched automatically.

gatewatcher said:

This is what Steelers fans do during the bye week, bitch about soccer.

I just realized the irony in this. As a Patsy follower, you should be the biggest advocate for instant reply. Tuck rule, my ass.

Kid Airbag said:

I just realized the irony in this. As a Patsy follower, you should be the biggest advocate for instant reply. Tuck rule, my ass.

Heh.

Kid Airbag said:

Good thing America has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

dude shut up

fodders said:

I watched the match live, it was never a goal.

Sir Alex Ferguson claimed after the game, that Ferdinand should have had a penalty and that this decision balanced out the "goal" not given.

An FA spokesman after the game absolved the linesman of any
responsibility for the apparently mistaken decision not to award a goal to Spurs after a shot from the halfway line crossed the goal line by at least a metre.

"The shot came in from an unusual distance and as such caught the
linesman out of position forcing him race back towards the goal as the play developed", explained the spokesman, "As he ran, the United scarf he was wearing under his shirt came loose and fluttered up into his face obscuring his view and preventing him from making the call. It was just one of those things."

In response to further questions from the Press the spokesman explained
"If they don't already have a United tattoo most officials on game day try to wear a scarf or a replica shirt under their regulation kit to show their support for the worlds greatest club. The linesman in this case had chosen to wear a United scarf, a common choice that is in keeping with FA guidelines. The root cause of the problem lies not with the linesman but with the players and management of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club who broke one the most important unwritten rules of the English FA: They placed a shot on target at Old Trafford. Martin Jol is new to this country and perhaps he s not yet familiar with some of our finer traditions. If he doesn't yet understand that for the greater good of the game visiting teams, by tradition, are not expected to try to score at Old Trafford then our officials are in a position to help Mr Jol make that cultural adjustment."

Chuckling to himself the FA spokesman added "The goal had to be
disallowed to avoid us descending down a slippery slope that would be
bad for the national game. It's a fine line the officials have to walk.
If they award a goal this week, next week someone might expect to get a penalty or demand that Van Nistelrooy be booked for diving. Can you imagine? That would just never do. No no no. Shocking, just the thought of it!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fodders/images/SpursGoal.gif

This doesn't work in my browser but may in yours.