Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Expand My Pack, Please

Gamespy has a new preview up of DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, the upcoming Doom 3 expansion pack by Nerve Software. Here's some quotage:

While your character remains nameless, you're no longer the same space marine who survived DOOM 3. This time, you play a combat engineer working under the command of Dr. Elizabeth McNeil, who worked alongside the nasty Dr. Betruger on Mars but was sent home as she began to suspect Betruger might be up to no good. "In the original DOOM 3 storyline, you can find bits and pieces of McNeil throughout," Hooper explains. "She's actually the whistleblower -- she saw all the things Betruger was trying to do and called Swann and Campbell to come down. In the original DOOM 3, you'll see emails from her to Swann, and if you run across her office, there are little bits and pieces in there."

Release date is still TBA, but it will include new monsters and weapons (new to Doom 3 anyway) as well as 8-player support in DM and four new DM maps. There's also an official CTF pack with four maps included as well, for you CTF fans out there. No word on if the Grav Gu- er I mean Grabber will be available in multiplayer maps either, though it has been at least tried out by the developers.

nah, too predictable.

i imagine you actually fight betruger. that's at least logical.

dethtoll said:

nah, too predictable.
i imagine you actually fight betruger. that's at least logical.

the article said:

Worse, the "new" Dr. Betruger (you'll understand if you've finished DOOM 3) will do anything to get that artifact back

Bingo. We have a winner.

zombiecommando said:

it says she was the one who sent cambell and swann

That doesn't necessarily mean she's not evil.

Cyb said:

No word on if the Grav Gu- er I mean Grabber will be available in multiplayer maps either...

the article also said:

It would be easy to treat the weapon as a knockoff of the gravity gun, but -- as was the case with Half-Life 2 -- the gadget was borne out of something the team had already been using during the creation of DOOM 3. "It's one of those things that's just fun, and we've had it around in our engine," Hooper explains, "we actually used it as a tool throughout development where we'd grab physics objects and place them around the world." While there was some thought to adding the gun to DOOM 3, the team decided against it. "We talked about that quite a few times, but we had such a big arsenal of weapons, and so many other cool things going on, that it was just one of those things that never made it in."

Looks like the Doom 3 developers made it first.

Speaking of the grav gun, anyone played Turok: Evolution? The game had something like a grav gun where you'd pick up enemies and smash them against walls. I don't know, but maybe thats where they got their inspiration.

There's also an official CTF pack with four maps included as well, for you CTF fans out there.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Jacknife said:

Speaking of the grav gun, anyone played Turok: Evolution? The game had something like a grav gun where you'd pick up enemies and smash them against walls. I don't know, but maybe thats where they got their inspiration.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that gun. I loved that weapon, especially the alternate mode where you could blast an entire crowd of Dinosaurs back. And unlike Half-Life 2, you could pick up enemies with it and they don't die instantly! It was great fun watching them struggle and then smashing them into their comrades.

Edit: Read the Gamespy article and it does mention everything in the PC Gamer one, along with some new stuff. Although the Grabber gun seems like a pathetic gravity gun rip-off at first, atleast iD and Nerve tried to seperate it by making it able to pick up projectiles and smaller monsters(woot!). I like how the Hell artifact is powered up by boss monsters. All in all, it seems like the mission pack is trying to recapture the gameplay of the older games as well as bring new stuff to the table. I'm definitely excited about this.

Doom 3 had a "large arsenal"? "Lots of other things going on"?

lol

Wobbo said:

Doom 3 had a "large arsenal"?

Larger than the original games, anyway. I mean, 11 weapon isn't too shabby, considering that you can carry them all at the same time and they all serve a purpose. Compare this to games with 20+ weapons that usually only let the player carry 5 or so at a time. Hell, Painkiller had only 4 weapons and that was adequate, although I hear the mission pack added two more.

Wobbo said:

lol

What's this?
Another lame attempt at bashing doom3?
Please. This is the worst one so far. 12 weapons is a pretty big arsenal.

Shaviro said:

What's this?
Another lame attempt at bashing doom3?
Please. This is the worst one so far. 12 weapons is a pretty big arsenal.

I have no beef with D3's arsenal of weapons, but I didn't think it had a "whole lot going on." It was mainly just killing and looking at PDA's. Which isn't bad. But it definitely isn't a "deep" game, and I don't like how they went around the combat, hence my dislike.

Wobbo said:

lol

It cures sleeping disorders, you know.

Job said:

Looks like the Doom 3 developers made it first.

HL2 was in development longer than Doom 3, so it's more likely a concurrent-development thing. It's a bit of BS how they cop out and say they invented it but didn't want it in though, but now they do for no specific reason. It's pretty obvious that they're putting it in because the gravgun in HL2 was a pretty big success.

Darkman 4 said:

FP!

I have a feeling that Dr. McNeal will also be evil, like Dr. Bretuger. :O

I'm confident that will not be the case (but of course, I don't know for sure) - it will just seem really cheap and retarded, because it will accurately mirror the events in Doom 3 (/me keeps his fingers crosssed).

I'm actually hoping that McNeil will survive (as long as the ending isn't something "oh-so-romantic" bs between Mr. C. Engineer and Ms E. Mcneil) - that would be something a little different from the usual thing. At least I understood HL2's ending in such a way that Alyx were killed - let's hope the Expansion doesn't rip off HL2 so badly that it will be similar in this area, it's bad enough that the Grabber is put into the game now (although it seems from what I gather that it'll differ and be a whole lot cooler than HL2's grav gun) whether Id invented it first or not.

Cyb said:

HL2 was in development longer than Doom 3, so it's more likely a concurrent-development thing. It's a bit of BS how they cop out and say they invented it but didn't want it in though, but now they do for no specific reason. It's pretty obvious that they're putting it in because the gravgun in HL2 was a pretty big success.

uh. Where did they say they invented it?
This thing they describe is actually in the game. It's used to move ragdoll corpses around to find a suitable pose.
A physics manipulator sounds like a pretty natural devthing to me. I guess one of the reasons they want it in now is because they need a couple of new weapons for the expansion. Sure its success in hl2 is probably a part of it too. It's not like valve (or id) invented it for that matter. Who cares?

As Nick said, neither Id, nor Valve invented the concept of being able to pick up and toss objects and enemies.
I know Raven had it in Jedi Knight 2 as "the Force" ability (which came from Star Wars which Lucas probably got from somewhere else) - dunno if other games have had something similar before JK2.

And as Shaviro says, a physics manipulating weapon was only a matter of time with all the bells and whistles surrounding ragdoll physics in first person shooters.

It is also necessary to remind people that just about every FPS out there has a knockoff of the Doom shotgun in one form or another.

dsm said:

At least I understood HL2's ending in such a way that Alyx were killed - let's hope the Expansion doesn't rip off HL2 so badly that it will be similar in this area

Well if this happens and the "the supporting cast girl dies at the end of the game" end is a rip-off of hl2, then hl2 is a rip-off of unreal2.

That still would't excuse Id and Nerve imo - on the contrary, it would be all the more a good reason to avoid a similar ending, since the structure of that ending would be pretty damn well-known by now and hence, less interesting.

dsm said:

That still would't excuse Id and Nerve imo

I don't think they need to be excused for using something that's been used before. If that's how they vision the ending, then that's it. We're jumping to conclusions here, though.

My point is that it's really hard to do something today without "ripping" something off.

For god sakes there was a "Gravity Gun" type weapon in the racing game ReVolt. That gun is ********ly not a new creation for either game in any way.

* is a ripoff of pong, which happens to be a ripoff of ping pong, which happens to be a ripoff of the first people who invented the word game, etc...

"...so fans of the old-school CTF may find a little extra to cheer about on the multiplayer side."

Old-school CTF? Uhhhh... Uhhhhh.... I'm sorry, but I must have missed that mode back in '93.

Shaviro said:

Well if this happens and the "the supporting cast girl dies at the end of the game" end is a rip-off of hl2, then hl2 is a rip-off of unreal2.

yeah but there's a difference there. if you use something from a game that recently came out that was actually popular and didn't suck like Unreal 2, then people are much more likely to notice when you 'rip it off'.

Plus if the only new and original additions you have to your game mimic a more recent and popular game, you're going to catch crap for it. I mean come on, it's the freaking grav gun, and they obviously put it in because it was a success in HL2.

I still think it's pretty irrelevant.
Personally I thought u2 was a good not great game, like hl2. imo they share faults.

Poor Trespasser. HL2s physics and object manipulation is just Trespasser, sans the bugs and a more intuitive interface for grappling with objects.

Anyways, what struck me as strange/unique whatever, is that the Double Barreled Shotgun will look like a present day Gun. I'll be interested in seeing how that plays out.

Also, I'll be interested in seeing D3 and HL2 one day.