Silverwyvern

Did you donate to the cause?

Did you donate?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Did you donate?

• Yes I did.
    • No I didn`t
    • I helped in other ways

Just a poll to see how many people were donating to the tsunami relief fund. Even a quarter counts as a donation.

No. I have $340 in the bank right now, and I would find it absurd to give any of it to this cause while, say, the US military is spending a million dollars an hour occupying Iraq. Also, I'm a selfish bastard.

I would have, but it would have been like the story of the rich man in the temple: an empty gesture.

Since tsunami relef is, like all other disasters, now nothing more than a popularity contest for the major countries to flaunt their own egos by throwing their pocketbooks around, I didn't think it was necessary for me, the average Joe, to donate.

They'll be just fine over there. Give it a year or so. I heard the relief effort over there right now is working extremely quickly for this scale of disaster.

No, and I refused to do the three minutes of silence with my pupils.

Actually, I did. A few days ago I was at a store (Kroger's or Meijer's, can't remember which) and donated my pocket change... I thought I threw in $1 and change, but when I got home I counted and found out I threw in a $10.

Relica Religia said:

I heard the relief effort over there right now is working extremely quickly for this scale of disaster.

Apparently the biggest problem right now is not getting the money, but figuring out how to spend it efficiently.

Relica Religia said:

Since tsunami relef is, like all other disasters, now nothing more than a popularity contest for the major countries to flaunt their own egos by throwing their pocketbooks around, I didn't think it was necessary for me, the average Joe, to donate.

They'll be just fine over there. Give it a year or so. I heard the relief effort over there right now is working extremely quickly for this scale of disaster.

Uh.. I only gave to help... I didn't think of my country's big throbbing ego (heh) while I did it.. Plus it wasn't a whole lot.. just a couple bucks. I figure if we are involved in a natural disaster I would like some help getting back on my feet... then maybe someone else out there.. another Cindy would be like 'oh heck.. its only a couple bucks..' well.. I had a point.. but it's gone.

All in all, its the average joes that make the donation.. because its the average joe that also needs it.

Refused to donate and ignored the 3-minute silence.
If mother nature's got an itch she needs to scratch, then I'm afraid it's tough shit for the rest of us.

Spike said:

Refused to donate and ignored the 3-minute silence.
If mother nature's got an itch she needs to scratch, then I'm afraid it's tough shit for the rest of us.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want a general idea of what my stance is, listen to the last track of George Carlin's "Jammin' In New York" album.

"...and then they wonder why they have lava in the living room!"

Relica Religia said:

This will take at least 20 years to fix, and that's only if the pace is maintained for that period of time.

You people obviously have no comprehension of how utterly huge the scope of this disaster is.

Dodge said:

If you want a general idea of what my stance is, listen to the last track of George Carlin's "Jammin' In New York" album.

The planet is fine, it's humanity that's fucked. Right?

AndrewB said:

You people obviously have no comprehension of how utterly huge the scope of this disaster is.

That, or some of us just don't care.

Wow, you people are so incredibly compassionate. I donated what I would typically piss away at a bar in one night.

Relica Religia said:

So, have you visited East Asia lately?

You were just there? You should tell everyone what you saw.