Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wildweasel

Another sound bug

When importing a new sound through XWE and playing the resulting WAD file in EDGE 1.28a (also tested in 1.29 beta 1), the sound does not play correctly in game. It sounds fine in XWE. The problem I'm having is that it seems to be setting the sample rate of the sound strangely (so if the sound in question is 22 KHz, it plays too slowly, or if it's 11 KHz, it plays too fast). I'm not sure if this is a bug with EDGE or a bug with XWE, so I'm going to report it here and at the EDGE forums.

The guys at EDGE recommend using WinTex instead. I don't want to use WinTex, and there doesn't seem to be any other solution.

And if it helps, any sound loaded by XWE is reported by WinTex as being a "bad sound format."

Ah, then it's XWE for sure. I'll take a look and fix it up as soon as I can. I guess another bugfix release is due anyway.

After many emails back and forth between Csabo and me, we concluded that this "bug" is actually my mistake of not using Wave/Save as Doom Wave. But problems still arise...

On some occasions, loading a sound and saving it to a Doom Wave will truncate the sound. It seems uncontrollable - it works sometimes, other times the bug occurs - but it usually only occurs with higher-quality sounds, and sounds whose lengths are above 65535 (unsure about the latter).

WildWeasel said:

sounds whose lengths are above 65535 (unsure about the latter).

Using unsigned 32bit rather than an unsigned 16bit may help, but I dunno.

If it helps, RTC_Marine, all the sounds I import are usually 22050 Hz, 8-bit, mono in Windows PCM format (before they are saved to Doom Wave).