Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
songbird

IWADs and PWADs...

Couple of newbie questions for you:

1. Have fans created new stand-alone, self-contained IWADs in addition to the myriad of PWADs available? If so, where are these, and are they usually grouped apart from the PWADs?

2. Can you make PWADs work with the original shareware IWAD(s)? Or only with the registered/commercial IWADs?

Thanks in advance!

1. No, not yet. However, there is a project with that aim currently in progress, called Freedoom. It has its own forum here.

2. No. Making pwads that work with the shareware would be contrary to a direct request from id Software. You need to have bought the relevant iwad to use a pwad.

1: Strife is the only thing I can think of. It's not really an add-on, but a stand alone game based on the Doom engine (like Heretic). You can download the demo here.

2: not legally...

Thanks for the replies. The Strife thing sounds interesting, but what I'm looking for are new IWADs (not PWADs) for Doom I or Doom II. The Freedoom project definitely looks like what I'm after, although it is surprising there haven't been more IWADs over the years. (But believe me, I know it would be a ton of work to make one with all new textures, maps, etc.!)

songbird said:

(But believe me, I know it would be a ton of work to make one with all new textures, maps, etc.!)

However, it is worth bearing in mind that an IWAD for a stand alone project would not have to replace everything that was in Doom2.wad. It would "only" need to have everything required to make your game run. So, if you only wanted half a dozen textures, you could probably get away with that.

There would be certain lumps that the engine might look for and need that you don't directly need for your project, but you certainly would not need to include a replacement for absolutely everything in the original IWAD.

Freedoom, of course, is looking to produce an IWAD with all the functionality of the original IWAD. So it needs to include everything.

I mean, Freedoom is a really cool idea, but when I played the alpha some year ago...I mean, I don't know what progress FD made since then...but back then it looked ugly.