Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nagelfar

Doom2 1.9 wad bugs

I was looking at doom2.net, and noticing a 1.9.1 exe patch for Doom2. Quite a long time ago I noticed that the wad for Doom 2 at its final version, 1.9, was far from perfect itself. Having problems even earlier versions did not. Has anybody else noticed the shotgun sergeants stuck in the wall around the bend on Map 02? (along with several barrels inside walls in and around the 'basement' pits of that same area?) In level editors, I had also noticed stray lines and vertexes on maps in the 1.9 wad that didn't exist in earlier versions. Has there been any distributed unofficial patch to correct these little disturbances around that anyone knows of? Like the 1.9.1. exe that doom2.net hosts? If not I think a patcher might be a minor, if long overdue and conceivably simple project.

A patcher has not even been considered to correct the faults you speak of. A map bug is just that, a map bug, and who cares about those if most of the community plays custom maps anyway?

All the 1.9.1 patch does anyhow is corrects a mouse accuracy bug in demo recording.

People care I assume because it's part of the doom legacy; for the same reason there are new sourceport executables for Doom when there are new games with entirely new engines. Also, earlier versions, 1.7 and such, didn't have these problems, 1.9 made more problems in the wad that have never been dealt with in a way that is internet-distributable for the Doom comunity, which I find to be plain odd, thats all.

These things you talk of aren't really "problems," they're just leftover pieces of things long past.

It's not a big deal. It has no impact on gameplay whatsoever. If it really irks you, then remove them yourself.

Stealthy Ivan said:

The reason for all the new source ports is because every one got fucking sick of the original doom engine and its limitations.

Lets also not forget windows 2000 and XP.

Relica Religia said:

These things you talk of aren't really "problems," they're just leftover pieces of things long past.

It's not a big deal. It has no impact on gameplay whatsoever. If it really irks you, then remove them yourself.

Enemies stuck halfway in walls does effect gameplay.

I can fix them myself, but that doesn't make it compatible for everyone else in the doom community.

Nagelfar said:

Enemies stuck halfway in walls does effect gameplay.

I can fix them myself, but that doesn't make it compatible for everyone else in the doom community.

I don't know about everybody else here, but I don't even care about the original maps anymore because I'd rather go play a new level than fire up the original maps again. And these bugs do not seriously harm gameplay (eg. a door does not open, a key is not there, or something) for me to care enough to fix it.

I'd rather play Equinox than go through Doom 2's base levels and say "OMGWTF BARREL IN WALL!"

Yeah, I've noticed some of these issues, but they don't really bother me much. Sure it'd be nice if they weren't there, but what can you do? I don't think iD sofware will just pick up such an old game and fix these minor problems.

I don't know about everybody else here, but I don't even care about the original maps anymore because I'd rather go play a new level than fire up the original maps again. And these bugs do not seriously harm gameplay (eg. a door does not open, a key is not there, or something) for me to care enough to fix it.

One of the main reasons I still play Doom is because of how fun its original levels were, and in many ways still are, to play. This goes double for Doom 1's levels.

Why should I be bothered about the bugs in the levels? There are nice things called editors which come in handy when you want to fix them. I have 2 versions of each IWAD on my HD: a fixed version which I use for normal play and the original in case I need it.

I do play the original maps on a regular basis, but I never cared about and did not even notice serious (or minor) bugs in the maps. The original Doom's early versions had monsters out of the map and stuff, but nothing serious in Doom2, I think. And concerning map02: I always considered the shotgun guy that stucks in the barrel to be an intended joke.

Deathmatcher said:

I do play the original maps on a regular basis, but I never cared about and did not even notice serious (or minor) bugs in the maps. The original Doom's early versions had monsters out of the map and stuff, but nothing serious in Doom2, I think. And concerning map02: I always considered the shotgun guy that stucks in the barrel to be an intended joke.

Could be. On the other hand it might be odd to think so because it's not like it's extremely funny or very noticible. Though why would the guys at id even need to change the enemies positions in the level like that as they did when it was upgraded to 1.9? Maybe some by product of being edited in Hex or however they did it? I wouldn't know as I know nothing about coding. but I remember playing all the earlier versions and none of them had it.. well, maybe the version right before 1.9 but I don't quite remember being as it has been so very long since I've played a version previous to 1.9, or maybe it was fixed in the version right before and they went back to an even earlier version to make the 1.9 build and forgot that correction.

If I knew how to make a patcher or could take the time to find out how do so, it'd be something I'm obsessive-compulsive enough to try to upload somewhere as a 'standardized' version upgrade. Though I'd guess making a wad patcher might be more difficult than an exe patcher, being as any idiot-proof program I'd have to use to make it might not be compatible with the *.wad format anyway.

oh well, just one of those things that's always been at the back of my mind but I've never seen discussed.

Ironic the number of people who are "fucking sick" of playing the original levels when there are so many "classic" style episodes about these days...

I get what Nagelfar is saying. It seems strange that there would be an "official" patch that's full of strange bugs. Monsters stuck in walls is not the most professional way to make a game. I don't know, maybe Microsoft bought id Software. That's the only logical explanation.

NoPoet said:

Ironic the number of people who are "fucking sick" of playing the original levels when there are so many "classic" style episodes about these days...

Not really. I'd be willing to bet most people here would agree doom2.wad sucks it hard, for a variety of reasons, namley piss poor level design. That doesn't mean no one can enjoy "classic" style wads with good level design.

Quast said:

Not really. I'd be willing to bet most people here would agree doom2.wad sucks it hard,

No I don't agree with that at all.

Stealthy Ivan said:
The reason for all the new source ports is because every one got fucking sick of the original doom engine and its limitations.

Eh? The reason is that Carmack released the source code.

Nagelfar said:

If I knew how to make a patcher or could take the time to find out how do so, it'd be something I'm obsessive-compulsive enough to try to upload somewhere as a 'standardized' version upgrade. Though I'd guess making a wad patcher might be more difficult than an exe patcher, being as any idiot-proof program I'd have to use to make it might not be compatible with the *.wad format anyway.

oh well, just one of those things that's always been at the back of my mind but I've never seen discussed.

Get them here:

Ultimate Doom v1.9 to Doom v1.1 Downgrade
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8611

DooM II - downgrade from v. 1.9 to v. 1.666
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=13187

Greetings
Funduke

If you look at the architecture of, say, MAP23, it's quite poor, compared to today's standards. But back then, it was big, it was full of monsters and barrels and it was fun. And so it is to this day. When I play Doom's or Doom2's maps, I don't compare them to today's standards. Instead, I revel in the good old days of 1993/1994.