Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCabal

Strife port

Well, hate to tell you this, but I know that there are no source ports available for Strife except Vavoom.
Click here to go the Vavoom website and download Vavoom.

Strife's OK, but it just doesn't compare to Heretic, HeXen, or Doom.

Strife owns Hexen.. Strife, unlike Hexen is fun..

Zaldron: yup. Some textures and sprites are really not good.. but wth.. I still love it..

Just yesterday I started to play Hexen again (played it 5h without having a break), but I stuck in the first chapter. I missed to find a switch somewhere, perhaps in Guardian of Ice or Guardian of Fire - who knows. That hurts :/ But HeXeN is a kickass game.

Strife is fun and plays well, but the story coulda used some work. "The Order". I coulda came up with a better name. "The Brotherhood of Lüt".

I loved the story..

Who cares what the bad guys order is called?

I do. The story, other than that is good.

Hi, newbie to the board question: If Strife uses the Doom engine are there any source ports for it out there?

Strife uses a modified DOOM engine so basically Strife is a DOOM source port and a really kick ass TC.

Strife owns Hexen.. Strife, unlike Hexen is fun..

MWHAHAHAHAHahahaha that's so funny...

I grew bored of Strife after loosing 3 times just because I treated the NPCs a bit "rude". What the heck, if they're giving you that "RPGiness" then at least you should be able to do something less linear.

Well. atleast you could mess with the NPCs.. unlike in Diablo2...

BTW.. you should have continued through the game.. it's really great game..

and the plot thickens.. :p

Bigbadgansta: I doubt any cult would sit down and figure out a really cool name, just because.

Hexen tried to be adventure game or RPG or something.. but it was just a damn switch hunt.. and 90% of the switches was hidden.. Only newbie mappers conduct such designs.

Bigbadgansta: I doubt any cult would sit down and figure out a really cool name, just because.

Really? *cough* mewsecult *cough* ariocult...

A port like EDGE, or like Zdoom will be when it has doomscript, and any others that allow creation of totally new monsters, and have scripting etc (are there any others?) could be used to make a Strife-like modification that could end up being pretty close to the original.

Of course, that would be a helluva lot of work, almost on the scale of QDoom, and I'm not going to do it

Well I don't know, I always thought of Strife as the Half-Life of the doom engine games. It was (to me) pretty inventive for a FPS. Still, its a it didn't get the attention it deserved. Ah well. Thanks for the replies though.

Hexen tried to be adventure game or RPG or something.. but it was just a damn switch hunt.. and 90% of the switches was hidden.. Only newbie mappers conduct such designs.

Hexen was an action game. Just that. The switches were a way to force people to explore the entire levels.

Yeah. it was an action game.. that tried to be something more..

But instead it failed at even being just a action game.. after killing all enemies.. you gotta find the hidden switches.. I remember runing for several hours searching for a switch that I later found hidden in a ice cave. You had to check te walls linedef by linedef in hope of finding a switch.. and since the enemies don't last forever.. it's mostly dead time running in a empty level..

Once you played through Hexen and know where most everything is, then its pretty fun.. but the first run basicly sucks IMO.

I don't know, I never had that much problems looking for stuff in Hexen. Seven Portals was the only place where I got stuck a little. Everything else was pretty straightforward to me. Except Dragon's Chapel, damnit.

Now that I remember, for some odd reason I never quite understood why I lost on Strife. Everything was going according to the plan and suddenly I found myself stuck into a "infinite soldiers respawn no place to go" situation.

Heh.. you gotta be careful with what and where you shoot in strife.. If you fire your weapons in the town.. the alarm will sound and guards will teleport in from the castle and take care of you.. There's 2 weapons that are Stealth though.. The poison arrows and the wrist blade. But:
THe poison arrows don't work with robots. and the wrist blade sucks.. :p

Believe me, I made everything possible to avoid that, but it just won't work. I might get back to it some of these days.

You don't give the chalice to the mayor.. you give it to harris.. and that's a trap.. You shall kill harris with the dagger. If you get the chalice and talk to Harris he'll send the guards on you. THere's no Mayor either.. There's a govenor.. but he don't bother with the chalice. In the shareware though, you go to the govenor.. after you stolen the chalice and talked to Harris.. then he say something along the lines "-So youre the theif who stole the cup. I don't know what Harris told you. But now you die." or something..

There's a secret behind harris though.. thats the only reason to meddle with him.

BTW, if you DO get to that he send the guards on you. You'll have to stab them with the knife.. or al hell will brake loose..

Ummh I got stuck a little further. Oh yeah, I remember, after speaking with the Rebels and leaving back to the town.