Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Ultimate DooMer

Heretic/Hexen palettes

I take it these games don't use the same palette, I was going to ask about that.

Temporary solution: Rip the PLAYPAL lumps from Heretic and HeXen, change their names to Heretic.act for Heretic and HeXen.act for HeXen (Remember to change the file extension from .lmp to .act). Then place them in the "PALETTES" subdirectory in your XWE directory.

Thanks for the support, TheDarkArchon. Just one quick note: if you click on a palette entry, in the Palette menu there's a Save As... option, which will automatically use the .act extension. (This is useful because some Doom palettes are longer than 768 bytes - hurt effect, etc. All we really need are the first 768 bytes, so it saves exporting and then cutting the file.)

Also, the color remap function will use the current palette of the WAD, even if it's a custom one.

Csabo said:

Also, the color remap function will use the current palette of the WAD, even if it's a custom one.

As in, I can just load a Hexen playpal lump in to use hexen colours, right?

I can't answer your question with a yes or no.

When you load a Hexen/any other custom playpal lump, XWE will use that one. It will use it for color remap, displaying images, and most importantly it will convert loaded images to that palette. However, it will not convert or modify any image that is already a part of your WAD. Loading a new palette will most likely "ruin" them, they won't look right. (Doom images are storing pixels as an index to the palette. E.g. let's say you have a doom texture which is a big block of color 223, it's basically an orange image. If you load the Hexen palette, in that on 223 is a nice cyan color, so if you view your image it suddenly turns cyan from orange. However, if you load any new image, it will look and display correctly.)

Hope this clears it up.

Try running Hexen II's software binary (NOT GLhexen2), then take a screenshot. Then leech that pcx file for it's pallete, you know the rest!