Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Evil Exposed Itself

Over at C&VG you can read a brand spanking new interview with Tim Willits about the upcoming Doom 3 expansion Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil by Nerve Software. Tim jams with the C&VG guys about the storyline, new stuff, multiplayer and even the Doom movie. And yes, I did just use the word 'jams' when referring to neither fruit preservatives nor playing instruments. I'm hip like that.

Our fans are very important to us. I believe we have a good relationship with them and we love listening to what they have to say. If what they want ties in with our plans then we have absolutely no problem taking suggestions. We're more tuned into the community than people realise. We might not reply verbally to every last thing, but we do keep our ears to the ground. We play other games, we listen really hard, and we try to make the best products ourselves.

Bullshit

Does it worry you that most movies adapted from videogames are usually pretty poor?

No, because ... we have Dwayne Johnson - The Rock - starring in it...

And that's supposed to be a good thing? I thought you listened to fans.

This might not suck, but willits really gives out WAY too many spoilers in that interview, and from waht it looks like the way he talks about the game loooks like it will be very scripted and linear, hmmm...

exp(x) said:

Bullshit

Care to clarify?

And that's supposed to be a good thing? I thought you listened to fans.

So because he have shitty taste in "actors" he doesn't listen to his fans?

Grazza said:

Sounds more like a workshop to me.

they are also those extra-long shorts (or extra-short pants depending on how you look at it) that were popular in the early 90s

Justified Ancients of Mumu = The JAMs AKA The KLF.

Actually, that thing that Willits said about a good relationship with the fans sounds pretty much like the sort of thing any good company front man would say.

If this doesn't correct the problems I have with Doom3, then I'll know he wasn't listening to me - or at least that what I want doesn't tie in with his plans. :rolleyes:

Something about going back to (EDIT) Mars just sounds lame, it would be a hell of a lot truer to the game if you went to deimos. But that doesn't matter much, the fact that Willits didn't mention anything about how the storyline has basically nothing to do with Doom implies that he know next to nothing about making movies, and that he hasn't been listening to the 99% of true doom fans out there. And I was expecting to have lights on the guns themselves like that have nowadays, but instead theres a shoulder mounted light that is a lot like halo. Eh, but who cares. At least they brought back the double barrelled shotgun.

Jacknife said:

Something about going back to Phobos just sounds lame, it would be a hell of a lot truer to the game if you went to deimos. But that doesn't matter much, the fact that Willits didn't mention anything about how the storyline has basically nothing to do with Doom implies that he know next to nothing about making movies, and that he hasn't been listening to the 99% of true doom fans out there. And I was expecting to have lights on the guns themselves like that have nowadays, but instead theres a shoulder mounted light that is a lot like halo. Eh, but who cares. At least they brought back the double barrelled shotgun.

are we talking about the same game here

kristus said:

Care to clarify?

No.

So because he have shitty taste in "actors" he doesn't listen to his fans? [/B]

I haven't heard to many fans say they are happy with the Rock being in the movie, but I suppose it's not his fault anyway. He shouldn't be playing it off as a good thing while many fans are mocking the concept, though.

I believe we have a good relationship with them and we love listening to what they have to say. If what they want ties in with our plans then we have absolutely no problem taking suggestions.

Wait... so they'll listen to suggestions as long as it's something they were doing already?

Wobbo said:

from waht it looks like the way he talks about the game loooks like it will be very scripted and linear, hmmm...

Sorry, but single player FPS' are always going to be scripted and linear to some extent. If you want non-linearity, you're playing the wrong genre of game - try playing some RPGs, or something.

Jacknife said:

I'm talking about the article.

Then you're talking about a different article than everyone else, because this one doesn't mention Phobos even once.

Conclusions:
-The movie will suck
-ROE has nothing to do with DOOM, you are not even the classic doomguy, and you fight enemies that are not in DOOM, except for that "new" lost soul. Still I think that the end boss has a little resemblance with the Icon of Sin, a monster with a big skull for head, and a human head inside.

I'd like to see a new chapter in the DOOM series, but after the invasion to Earth.

I don't see what's new in the article that hasn't been guessed/read/posted before. Same old BS...

Enjay said:

If this doesn't correct the problems I have with Doom3, then I'll know he wasn't listening to me - or at least that what I want doesn't tie in with his plans. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, there are plenty of fans out there that don't have the same ideas as you. I'm surprised you aren't at the very least grateful that they gave you whiners your pussy-ass mounted flashlight (even if it means making fans like me cross) - actually I'm not, but it feels good to say it.

Oh and they put less emphasis on the Mars base itself and instead put more "ancient civilization" and "Hell" levels in there too - that you don't seem to be grateful about either.

Certain people just put too much emphasis on what they don't like about games instead of trying to appreciate the (few) things that are actually good - I swear, if I had your whiny, bithcy outlook on things, I'd have killed myself long ago over the direction that most FPS' are taking nowadays.

Besides, what the Hell are you doing discussing(/bitching over) an expansion to game that you don't even like? (Don't answer that - I think I know already). Move along!

-ROE has nothing to do with DOOM, you are not even the classic doomguy

Good thing - a little spice will make it interesting instead of having the same guy taking out the trash everytime Hell decides to pour it over ;-)

Vegeta said:

you fight enemies that are not in DOOM

Surely by that logic, Doom 2 map07 has nothing to do with Doom either?

dsm said:

I swear, if I had your whiny, bithcy outlook on things, I'd have killed myself long ago over the direction that most FPS' are taking nowadays.

Indeed. There's a saddening trend involving both video games and movies becoming increasingly gimmicky and shallow cash cows. Gone are the days, I believe, where creativity is exalted above profitability (not that profitability was ever overlooked) when games are already being marketed and practically sold before they're even finished.

dsm said:

Certain people just put too much emphasis on what they don't like about games instead of trying to appreciate the (few) things that are actually good - I swear, if I had your whiny, bithcy outlook on things, I'd have killed myself long ago over the direction that most FPS' are taking nowadays.

First of all, games are supposed to be entertainment - fun! If there are things I don't like, then I'm not having fun and the game is failing in its primary purpose. If there are more bad things than good - on balance the game is not good and it has failed to entertain me. I paid money - good money :P - for it so I have a right to whine, bitch and moan. Id promised me the best, scariest, most involving game experience ever. I bought into that promise and they didn't deliver. Are you saying if I have a really shitty experience with anything I should try and find the one or two pleasant nuggets lying in the shit and talk about them whilst totally ignoring the big pile of festering toss surrounding them? OK, fine. Doom3 was great, it had a really cool sound effect on level 3. I really recommend going out and buying it on the strength of that alone. (Shhh, don't mention the gameplay - it wasn't good, but that doesn't matter the few things that were actually good make it worth buying.) No, hang on, Doom3 was a let down. It had far too many weak points to be an enjoyable game. In fact, it had some of the poorest gameplay I have had in a game for a long time. The only thing it had going for it was the game engine. Unfortunately, they took the best game engine ever created, used it to make a sequel to the best game ever created and only produced a mediocre product. Something is wrong there and I hope they improve with the expansion pack. However, I don't hold out much hope for it and I really look forward to what someone else is going to do with the Doom3 engine because id are letting it go to waste. This game has done nothing to change the increasing image of id being engine, but not game, producers.

As a general point, if we just sit back and say "well the game was kind of sucky, but it had a few cool bits in it, so that's OK then" where will that lead? Why should we let the game developers off the hook? So that they can serve us up any old toss and we suck it down because we only talk about the good stuff? Where would any motivation come to produce a game that truly satisfies game fans if that were the case? If we are not satisfied we should say so. Not just by saying "game X is teh suck" but saying what was wrong and why.

Besides, what the Hell are you doing discussing(/bitching over) an expansion to game that you don't even like? (Don't answer that - I think I know already). Move along!

Well, I'm answering anyway. So, what you are saying is I'm only allowed to talk about stuff I like? Mmmmmmm, you must like yes-men on your team then. What, you don't want me to hurt someone's feelings or something? Are negative comments bad when they are valid? I bought the game, I played the game, I've played Doom for 11 years. At what point do I not qualify to comment on it? At the point where I realised Doom3 was a half assed game that didn't deliver on most of its promises and provided me with dull repetative gameplay in a not very exciting environment (albeit a pretty one - when you could see it)? A game that didn't satisfy in any of the criteria I lay down for a fun game? A game that ended up making half hearted attempts to cover a whole bunch of bases and thereby ended up not properly covering any of them? No! That's exactly the point when I should stand up and express my opinion. Moreover, I should express my hope that id will improve things for the next instalment.

And yet more... If Willits is standing there spouting party-line, public relations bullshit about listening to the fans (and then implementing only the stuff they were going to implement anyway (tsk tsk)) then I should call him on it. I am a fan, so presumably he is saying that he is listening to me but I think he's lying. However, I am a fan, so if Mr Willits is listening, then of course I should be commenting. If my comments aren't "ooooh Doom3 is teh pwnz0r" then my comments are more valuable because I am pointing out things that could be improved. I am not a satisfied fan or a satisfied customer. But I am both a fan and a customer. I will comment.

COMING THIS SUMMER!

ONE MAN TAKES ON THE WORLD

DSM

IS...

____  _____ _____ _____ _   _ ____  _____ ____
|  _ \| ____|  ___| ____| \ | |  _ \| ____|  _ \
| | | |  _| | |_  |  _| |  \| | | | |  _| | |_) \
| |_| | |___|  _| | |___| |\  | |_| | |___|  _ <
|____/|_____|_|   |_____|_| \_|____/|_____|_| \_\
                      ___  _____
                     / _ \|  ___|
                    | | | | |_
                    | |_| |  _|
                     \___/|_|
                  _____ _   _ _____
                 |_   _| | | | ____|
                   | | | |_| |  _|
                   | | |  _  | |___
                   |_| |_| |_|_____|
             _____ _    ___ _____ _   _
            |  ___/ \  |_ _|_   _| | | |
            | |_ / _ \  | |  | | | |_| |
            |  _/ ___ \ | |  | | |  _  |
            |_|/_/   \_\___| |_| |_| |_|
special appearance by enjay as The Troll

COMING SOON!

DD_133 said:

Save it for someone who cares.

I care about what DSM had to say in his post, but I don't particularly care about what you had to say in yours.

I therefore respectfully request that you take your own advice.

NiGHTMARE said:

Then you're talking about a different article than everyone else, because this one doesn't mention Phobos even once.

Haha, oh yeah, mars, I forgot. Whatever, fuck it.

Shaviro said:

Maybe you should just realize that the game is not for you and move on?

Possibly so, and to be fair I have moved on - Doom3 is no longer on my HD and I have played better, more enjoyable games since, but Doom is a franchise I care about so I'd like to comment. This is a doom related forum, there would be little point in me commenting about the other games I have played here. People are still talking about Doom3 here and so I feel I should be able to as well. I will buy the expansion and I do hope it will improve on the original, very weak, game. I will play it and I will give it a fair chance.

However, from the vast majority of people I know, and comments I have seen outwith the doom community, Doom3 falls short of what it should have been and what it promised to be. I'd like to see a high quality of games in future so I'd like to comment. If the game is not for me, so be it, but it was presented for my consumption, so I will comment. It seems to be the way games are going. So I'd like to lament the passing of games I enjoy and hope that it is not really a passing. Unfortunately there is no "moving on" option. Gaming seems to be taking a turn for the "lets make it pretty but boring" side. The only option for "moving on" seems to be to play an 11 year old game rather than the newest offerings. Whilst I'm actually quite happy with that, it doesn't seem like moving on. :-(

Funny how so many people on these forums for years now have said how poor, gameplay-wise, so many modern games were and that they just didn't have what the original Doom did but now I can now be criticised for making the same comments about yet another unimaginative, modern game that just happens to be called Doom. Sharing some of the story, the characters and re-interpreting so much in such a pretty way but, ultimately leaving behind the most crucial thing - how the game plays. Doom3 fits an old description very well: All fur coat but no knickers ie looks good, but no real class.

Linguica said:

special appearance by enjay as The Troll

:-)

Heh, I don't think I've ever been called a troll before. Every day, in every way I get better and better. Or something. :-?

I still stand by my comments :-

Doom3 - not as good as it should have been and it's certainly not as good as they promised. Technically excellent, but not that much fun. The future of gaming? Let's hope not! Can they improve? Let's hope so! Will the expansion pack do it? I don't know. I hope so, but I'm not going to risk my liver transplant on it.

Re: an earlier comment in this thread. If a game doesn't appeal to you personally, but does appeal to the majority of people who've played it, it hasn't "failed in it's purpose".

If a game had to be liked be every single person who's ever played it in order to be considered successful, every game ever made has "failed".