Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

"You want to quit? Then, thou has lost an eighth!"

It's an Ultima 4 reference alright. When you start becoming a eight-part avatar, and you "collect" virtues, if you do something against that virtue you lose your avatarhood in that virtue and the message "thou hast lost an eighth!" appears.

I can't believe that WWWWolf guy is bitching about Ultima 4. The game is goddamn old and you can only compare it to games made in that era, not later ones.

bartwart said:

I can't believe that WWWWolf guy is bitching about Ultima 4. The game is goddamn old and you can only compare it to games made in that era, not later ones.

Everything the guy is complaining about (with the exception of it not running properly on modern computers) are issues that may well have bugged people who played the game mere days after its original release.

NiGHTMARE said:

Everything the guy is complaining about (with the exception of it not running properly on modern computers) are issues that may well have bugged people who played the game mere days after its original release.

That may be so, but people back then would have been a little more forgiving of inconveniences like that, and for every inconvenience there was usually a solution. I was thoroughly annoyed by many of the game play aspects of Ultima 3 when it came out, but when compared to other games at the time it still kicked ass.

But for one of the things that guy complained about, if being poisoned became a real problem for him then he needs to magically open the treasure chests and keep plenty of cure spells on hand.

Hasn't Romero put in all those "quit messages"? That would explain this message, Romero is known to be a huge Ultima fan. (Unlike me - I always wondered what this one was supposed to mean)

bartwart said:

That may be so, but people back then would have been a little more forgiving of inconveniences like that, and for every inconvenience there was usually a solution. I was thoroughly annoyed by many of the game play aspects of Ultima 3 when it came out, but when compared to other games at the time it still kicked ass.

You seriously think gamers back in eighties didn't complain about a game's features which they didn't like? Think again :).

NiGHTMARE said:

You seriously think gamers back in eighties didn't complain about a game's features which they didn't like? Think again :).

Ok ok, sure they complained, but you have to remember that there was a huge gulf in technical quality between PCs and console games back then. Ultima 4, for its time, really pushed the limits of PC gaming. PC games also had to rely more on plots and stories because they really couldn't compete with consoles in graphic and sound quality.

I just don't think this WWWWolf guy has been around the block long enough to offer an informed critique of Ultima 4. It'd be like criticizing Jimi Hendrix's guitar work or something.

Then there was Betrayal of Antara.

I dunno how that fits in, but hearing Ultima 4 reminded me of that game.

I liked that game but it doesn't run properly on modern systems.