Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Soul

Windows XP strikes back

I just got a new comp today (JOY!!) and it has Windows XP.
I tried to get my Ultimate Doom to work (using Doom.exe)
and it does and doesnt. It runs great, until a sound effect has to be made. then it goes craptastically chunky on me.
If I leave it on no sound or PC speakers, it's fine though..
Little help here? I jut wanna play the game..

Are you using a SB Live! sound card in there? I'm trying to collect some data on Doom performance with SB Live! cards running in DOS emulation on XP.

Are you using a SB Live! sound card in there? I'm trying to collect some data on Doom performance with SB Live! cards running in DOS emulation on XP.

Nope. According to my desktop, I have something called a
" Via Ac 97 enhanced audio"
I dunno if that's the actual card.. but I'm having a large problem actualy navigating thru Windoqs XP to find what else it could be

Okay, now I'm getting irritated. No matter what I do to configure the game, my sound FX always break up like all hell, and slow the game down BAD. I never ever get music either. I tried getting Zdoom, hpong that would help.. but no luck.
HELP ME!!

Basicaly Win98 seems to be the most advanced Windows OS which doesn't crash/fuck up old games. I think I'll stick with it.

Basicaly Win98 seems to be the most advanced Windows OS which doesn't crash/fuck up old games. I think I'll stick with it.

As was said before, you can dual-boot WinXP and Win98 easily, and enjoy both worlds.

Also, I see many sound issues here.

1) If your sound card is PCI and doesn't support DOS via emulation, don't expect it to work with DOS games. It might not work at all or might work partially or bad.

2) Onboard cards suck

3) If you have a card that supports DOS, you still need a sound emulator, like VDMSound for it to work in WinNT/2K/XP DOS Box. For SBLive, you may also need the DOS emulation driver SBEINIT.COM.

I am told that XP's dos sound emulation works just as well if not better than VDMSound. Due to the issues you outlined above though, obviously not all sound support will be perfect. ;/

I am told that XP's dos sound emulation works just as well if not better than VDMSound. Due to the issues you outlined above though, obviously not all sound support will be perfect. ;/

Hmm... Maybe you're right... What is XP DOS sound emulation?

I remember speaking to a guy on IRC, who was and still is using WinXP, and said that it had perfect sound with DOS games, if only you got an emulator. He mentioned VDMSound, and another one, Sound2K something.

I always recommend VDMSound because it's freeware, and the few people I recommended it to said that it worked great (as opposed to not working at all without it). But they were with ISA cards and I don't remember if they had Win2K or XP.

The thing is I can't be sure, because I have Win98 and an ISA sound card, so I can't try it myself.

Ookee.. I just got them working now. I needed another version of Zdoom. I was using a much older version I had burned somewhere, so I just d/led the latest one and now the game works. Huzzah!!!
Anyway, with those problems outta the way, I threw Final Doom on there, and I forgot it was using Doom95.exe
So I tried using Zdoom with that too.
It works with Plutonia, but it has kind of an error message when I use it with TNT.
It says 'Can't find C:\Final Doom\tnt.wad in bots.cfg'
any suggestions to make that work?

It says 'Can't find C:\Final Doom\tnt.wad in bots.cfg'
any suggestions to make that work?

Don't use bots.

That can't find bots.cfg thing... mayhap you be using the iwad from a different folder or don't have the bots.ini file handy? Either way its a bullshit error, that just means it can't load the bots so you have no bots and thats fine 'cuz the bots suck.