Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Eternity Engine 3.31.10 and WinMBF 2.03 Build 2

Yup that's right, two releases in one night. The files will be available on /idgames and there will be download links on the Eternity page as soon as they are moved to newstuff. You can currently read the text files for the new releases at the Eternity page, too.

Eternity is my modern, advanced source port. WinMBF is a port of the MBF engine, upon which Eternity is indirectly based, to Windows so that people who liked it or want to use it as a regression test bed without having to boot into DOS can do so. WinMBF is considered unsupported and so I won't be doing any new features or very many bug fixes for it. I will fix critical issues, like the one this update repairs, of course.

Why 35 Hz restriction till now is not removed? I think, that it is necessary to do it in the first version of any port. Protect your eyes and do not use it. There is no sense.

Stability considerations maybe? Your GLBoom 226_2 crashes frequently (and apparently randomly) for me, and therefore I have stopped using it. Coincidence perhaps, but 224_5, which retains one frame per gametic, has never crashed (as far as I recall) in hundreds of hours of use.

To my mind, removing this restriction is only really useful when using slow motion anyway.

Grazza said:

Stability considerations maybe? Your GLBoom 226_2 crashes frequently (and apparently randomly) for me, and therefore I have stopped using it.

Strange...
How much often and when? During start-up or during gaming?
What operating system you use? I have WinXP and had no crash for half a year of use

To my mind, removing this restriction is only really useful when using slow motion anyway.

No way!

Grazza said:

Definitely not. Once you get used to higher frame rates 35 fps appears like a slide show. I got so used to ZDoom's ultra-smooth rendering that I can barely stand source ports anymore that still run in chop-o-vision. ;)

Try playing ZDoom for a few hours and then switch back and tell me that again!

entryway said:

How much often and when? During start-up or during gaming?
What operating system you use?

During play, and often enough to be too annoying. (Dunno, maybe once in every dozen recording attempts?) I use XP. This is no doubt highly system-dependent, and thus not at all easy to fix. I'm using the current version of SDL. Is there anything where 226_5 needs a more up-to-date version than 224_5?

Graf: I've plenty of experience playing with uncapped framerate, and can take it or leave it. Doesn't bother me either way.

Grazza said:

Is there anything where 226_5 needs a more up-to-date version than 224_5?

no, uncapped framerate only
and corrections of several insignificant mistakes in my HUD

Grazza said:

Graf: I've plenty of experience playing with uncapped framerate, and can take it or leave it. Doesn't bother me either way.

Consider yourself lucky then. I can't stand Legacy and all the other capped source ports anymore...

Graf Zahl said:

I can't stand Legacy and all the other capped source ports anymore...

LOL you don't like other ports at all