• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Man with incurable lung disease plans suicide tonight

(WARNING: Opinion ahead)

CBC

· He is strong enough to breathe the helium and kill himself, but is fighting for those who do not have the ability.
· He wants to generate publicity so that people debate assisted suicide.
· He cannot do anything that he enjoys and feels he has no quality of life.

I have never felt as much respect for anyone as I do for this person. He is fortunate enough to have the ability to commit suicide, but is fighting for those who are too weak to do so. If he follows through tonight, he will by my personal hero and role model.

Suicide is legal if a person is able to do it themselves, but illegal if they're too weak. There is no fairness to be found here.

Yeah I seen it on the news today. The rest of his family aren't very happy about it. I think it's mainly due to the fact that a life insurance policy becomes void when the person kills themself.

AndrewB said:

he will by my personal hero and role model.

You're the best straight man ever.

ravage said:

You're happy he offed himself.

I'm happy that he has the legal right to do it. I'm unhappy that others, who are unable to physically do it themselves, do not have that entitlement.

Another side issue - because assisted suicide is illegal, it is often quite hard for people to come up with quick, easy, painless ways of doing it. So they end up doing something very stressful, painful and messy.

I just prefer not to think about the whole thing... And yeah, that's a good point, what about the insurance? Not to be a heartless bastard, but that should be a concern if he's truly being responsible about this. Just like one has to think about how one's family when they decide to do this kind of thing, one should also think about one's finances.

Most life insurance policies cover suicide after 1 or 2 years, so I don't think that's a problem.

Meh I dunno. I think it's fine if it's not abused. But I mean if suicide is legal that means insurance has to legally cover it. Then it can be abused. Imagine a sick person who's "grieving" wife kills him, calls it suicide, and collects big. Perhaps suicide insurance is more than death from a certain disease insurance. To much BS can happen. Meh I'm probably just being pessimistic :P

insertwackynamehere said:

Meh I dunno. I think it's fine if it's not abused. But I mean if suicide is legal that means insurance has to legally cover it. Then it can be abused.

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. Suicide is legal and insurance companies are not required to cover it.

Personally, I thin kwe should just let them suffer. Who knows, maybe we'll come out with a cure to whatever ails them. On the other hand, shit's also funny when it's happening to someone else ;) Heh, just had to be a smart-ass. Although the latter is point because we're all sadists by nature...

Anywho, I think that a person should not be allowed to decide whether or not they should die; It prevents them from making a potential contribution to the human race in the short span of their life, for one. And the other thing is, it's just plain cowardice. It's giving up and giving in. Quitting is for pussies.

pilottobombadier said:

Anywho, I think that a person should not be allowed to decide whether or not they should die; It prevents them from making a potential contribution to the human race in the short span of their life, for one. And the other thing is, it's just plain cowardice. It's giving up and giving in. Quitting is for pussies.

I wonder what exactly they're contributing now

pilottobombadier said:

If your intention was to take a well-structured, well-thought-out argument and turn it completely inside-out, then you did a great job.

If not, then I hope you get a terminal disease and have to suck it up for 30 years.

AndrewB said:

If your intention was to take a well-structured, well-thought-out argument and turn it completely inside-out, then you did a great job.

If not, then I hope you get a terminal disease and have to suck it up for 30 years.

I already have one, it's called being alive ;)

pilottobombadier said:

we're all sadists by nature...

Speak for yourself.

Anyhow, people should have the right to do whatever they want to their bodies provided they don't hurt anyone else.

I wonder if it's illegal to have a second while committing hari-kiri, much less to partake of the act itself.

Job said:

I wonder if it's illegal to have a second while committing hari-kiri, much less to partake of the act itself.

If it's sepukku, I doubt that would be legal ;)