Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BattleCat

Music to Doom to..

I'm sitting here listening to a somewhat recent album by a band called Annihilator, which is a thrash metal band. The album is called "Waking The Fury" and was released in 2002.

The reason I post this is that some of the songs remind so incredibly much of Doom (not in the way certain Pantera, Slayer (+ others) songs would). In particular one called "My Precious Lunatic Asylum", but also some other songs. So I'm wondering why. It's probably the same style or something...thoughts people ?

Some of the music used in the original doom's is from metal bands, just changed around a little. I too have heard songs that remind me of doom songs, It happens...

Apocalyptica is the only good answer to this question. No singing, just stringed instruments, some of which are down-tuned and distorted. Pretty awesome stuff.

Stealthy Ivan said:

They should use Dimmu Borgir or Dark Funeral... That would rule!

...except Dimmu Borgir isn't Black Metal.

Really though, Heavy Metal or Death Metal would probably fit better, as Doom is neither grim nor frostbitten.

I had a Queen cd in my disk drive for awhile so when i would play certain wads zdoom would start playing the cd. It's rather odd dooming with "I want to break free" playing the background but it oddly works.

I've grown a real liking to listening to ragtime music while playing doom. There's something about it that makes you feel a little crazy. I have very little of that kind of music unfortunately.

Jazz is good too.

I have a few records I think go really well with different wads.

Examples:

An old grunge act from 92 named Dizzy Mizz Lizzy. Goes really well with E1 (and E1 style wads) for some reason.

Björk or Massive Attack when playing the Evilution IWAD.

Some weird experimental pop act from England named Pram goes well along with the kinda offbeat Realm of the Spider Gods.

destx said:

...except Dimmu Borgir isn't Black Metal.

Yea they are...
I have been listing to metal since the early 80s, dont tell me they are not black metal, they even call there own band black metal...
I doubt you have ever seen them back in the day?

I'm really weird, so I sometimes play Doom while listening to the soundtrack from Mr. Driller, Castlevania (any of them), or Strong Bad Sings And Other Type Hits.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Yea they are...

Incorrect.

Anyway I usually just like to doom the the midis already in the wad.

But if I was to play some normal music it'd be some Immortal or Symphony X, this way I can pretend I'm using an axe instead of a shotgun and slay teh dragons and claim the castle.

I usually just pay with whatever music comes with the wad, but I will sometimes put in Green Day's one instrumental song. It's calm, so it soothes you when you're fighting 20 Barons of Hell with a pistol.

Pantera, Slayer and Annihilator are all classic. Maybe Annihilator reminds you of Doom the same way the Annihilator reminds me of, say, Slayer or Pantera (and many others from that corner of time)?

As for Dimmu Borgir, they have removed themselves pretty far from what black metal is. Listen to any of their recent albums, and then listen to something like "Panzerfaust" by DarkThrone. _NOT_ quite the same, I would say...

As for my preferred gaming soundtrack, I usually settle for the in-game music. When I'm making maps, I listen to any of the old Frank Zappa albums.

I listen to 'Sisters of Mercy - Alice', which I'm convinced is yet another track Bobby Prince ripped off, but I can't figure out which level. Anyone else?