Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ragnew

The Grudge or Ju-On

Okay, so this DVD's been out for a few days now, and I was wondering if anyone here has purchased it? Being that I thought The Grudge is without a doubt one of the best horror films in a long time, had to run out and pick up my copy as soon as I could.

I saw this movie when it first came out, actually went to see it on Halloween of all times, and I must say, it scared the hell out of me. You know, Kayako's scene when she was crawling up the stairs toward the gal in the stairwell (that part was pretty creepy) while the lights were going out floor by floor above and below her. Great sequence, great sequence indeed.

So, all in all, did anyone else here pick it up? Or did anyone here like the American made "The Grudge" better then "Ju-On". I thought Ju-on was another really good movie, however it lacked the atmosphere and fright factor that The Grudge brought to me (Example, Yoko returning to her place of employement after having her lower jaw ripped out in the American film, yet not in the Japanese original).

So what do you guys think?

I despise the Americanized aberrations of good Japanese horror movies.

No, no, no, the Americanized remake, had so much more. It was scary like a horror movie should be... Or maybe, I'm just a wuss. Nah, that can't be it... Can it?

Job said:

I despise the Americanized aberrations of good Japanese horror movies.

And you'd call the original Japanese movies quality viewing? Horror movies are dumb, end of story.

Horror movies can be good.

This shit they're importing from Japan, in both original and adapted form, isn't.

Arioch said:

This shit they're importing from Japan, in both original and adapted form, isn't.

Damnit, without this shit they're importing from Japan, we wouldn't have Godzilla.

EDIT - Sorry about the double post.

I liked the Grudge. Actually I'm going to see in at the budget theater again tonight. I thouht it was going to be the typical new age horror crap (the ring, fear.com/ etc). Somehow it really creeped me out.

I saw the Japanese Ju-On The Grude 2 and the US The Grudge so far. Damn, they are some creepy stuff.

ragnew said:

No, no, no, the Americanized remake, had so much more. It was scary like a horror movie should be... Or maybe, I'm just a wuss. Nah, that can't be it... Can it?

Haha you're a pussy. I came out of that movie saying "what the fuck did I see that waste of money for?". My first and LAST horror movie I will ever spend money outside of basic cable for.

ragnew said:

Yoko returning to her place of employement after having her lower jaw ripped out in the American film, yet not in the Japanese original).

i thought that part was mega-rad. too bad that was the only part that really got a reaction out of me.

They were both dumb.

After seeing the one in theaters my father and I thought the story couldn't get any more convoluted. Yet the Japanese one proved us wrong.

I agree with Submerge, horror movies can bob on my knob, but survival horror games are much better.

Ralphis said:

Haha you're a pussy. I came out of that movie saying "what the fuck did I see that waste of money for?". My first and LAST horror movie I will ever spend money outside of basic cable for.

I will kill you Ralphis... I don't want to, but I will if I have to.

Yeah, Survival Horror games are on the top of my list as well. Silent Hills definitely a good game, but it's just boring as shit to play after a while.

i like good horror movies but havent got the real mindfuck yet. i went to see the grudge in the theatres and the fucking sound effects made me almost deaf. and that was a shitty movie.

I liked the Japanese version of The Grudge.

I think some of you guys who hate horror movies seem to have them confused with thriller movies.
I fail to see how anyone could dislike classics such as Hellraiser and Evil Dead.

destx said:

I liked the Japanese version of The Grudge.

The Grudge is the American version of Ju-On. Know it. Saying what you said is like inferring that Opeth is the same as Nickleback because they both sometimes use acoustic guitars in their music.

destx said:

I fail to see how anyone could dislike classics such as Hellraiser and Evil Dead.

Perhaps I should give evil dead a second chance. First time I watched it I just couldn't get into it, but man I love Hellraiser movies. : )

pilottobombadier said:

And you'd call the original Japanese movies quality viewing? Horror movies are dumb, end of story.

Arioch said:

Ralphis said:

Scuba Steve said:

They were both dumb.

After seeing the one in theaters my father and I thought the story couldn't get any more convoluted. Yet the Japanese one proved us wrong.

Submerge said:

I don't like Horror Movies.

Survival Horror GAMES, however?

Silent Hill rocks!

DooMBoy said:

I agree with Submerge, horror movies can bob on my knob, but survival horror games are much better.

You all suck.

Stupidity trading souls for pogs involving class staining penis action while not yourself cannot be concealed.

Gokuma said:

You all suck.

Stupidity trading souls for pogs involving class staining penis action while not yourself cannot be concealed.

Yep if these people don't like horror films and they aswell also hate Doom and Silent Hill because their also horror genere based.

All you horror movie haters should go watch some classics of the genre. I personally recommend the original Pyscho, Dawn of the Dead, the Shining and Alien.

And BTW Doom would be nothing if it weren't for the atmosphere. If every Doom fan were only interested in TEH OMG ACTION!!!111, the games would have died the instant Serious Sam came out.

Scuba Steve said:

I agree totally. I liked aspects of both movies. The atmosphere in both was great. There was a lot of potential in the concept. The failing of both was the plot.

The Japanese version was convoluted as all hell and had a lot of extraneous rubbish that could've been ditched to make it easier to follow. I'm not a big fan of non-linear film making, and it was especially difficult in the Japanese version as there was very little reference points to use figure out exactly where I was in the progression of events. Characters apparently dead are OK a couple of scenes later and you don't know if they somehow got away, whether we're a day, two days, a week before... nothing. And I don't mean this in a racist way but Japanese people do look very similar and that didn't help, particular with the scenes involving the young girls. Even something as simple as time signature (Monday 5:00pm) when there's a shift in time would've done wonders.

The American version's plot is simpler and is a better film for it, even if a little of the edge is lost. Even with the non-linearity, it's much easier to follow. I think it would be difficult for someone who knows the original to truely appreciate the remake cause they already know pretty well how things are going to play out.

The plot still fails it in both, in my opinion. People get scared. They die. They get angry. They scare more people. They die. Repeat as needed for an hour and a half. No resolution. The average Jason or Freddy film has more depth than that.

Job said:

The Grudge is the American version of Ju-On. Know it. Saying what you said is like inferring that Opeth is the same as Nickleback because they both sometimes use acoustic guitars in their music.

The DVD I hired was titled "Ju-On: The Grudge". An easy mistake to make.
By the way, my mistake was nothing like comparing the genius that is Opeth to that terrible, terrible, pop-rock. Which would be punishable by a thousand rakes in the ass.

How is Nickleback pop? Pop = popular, and they aren't popular in the slightest; they're pretty much universally loathed.

Well, Michael jackson is still 'pop' and he's not exactly popular at the moment.
But yeah, you make a good point. I'm just used to using pop as a derogatory term.

Yeah, i saw all the ads for the grudge DVD on this site(american version of the movie, with sarah michelle gellar), and i was going to start a thread myself but i found this one. Let me just say this:

The Grudge is the most hilarious-and-shitty-at-the-same-time movie ever.

Person hears some random legend tidbit. walks around an empty place alone. lots of wood creaking. Shadows move behind them, and for some reason they turn around(?). They look around a bit more and suddenly an asian woman or little boy pops out and they scream.

Go to next scene and repeat. Even the ending is kind of like this.

It sucked.
I understand if you might like horror movies for the scare factor, even if the plot is bad. But not only does the grudge fail in plot and overall movie goodness, but its not even scary, just... surprises you... and then puts you to sleep with its repetition. Not to mention a few good laughs AT it along the way.