Find results in...
ellmo

Please vote on your favourite level theme

Favourite doom level theme:  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite doom level theme:

• [b]TECH[/b]: classic E1
    • [b]TECH[/b]: creepy like E2
    • [b]TECH[/b]: light (Neith, Underneith, Barista)
    • [b]TECH[/b]: dark n heavy (RTC, Darkening episode 2)
    • [b]DOOM 2-like[/b]: lots of dark brown n green (think first levels of HR2)
    • [b]GOTHIC/MEDIEVAL/HELL[/b] (Inferno-like, Thy flesh consumed)
    • [b]GOTHIC/MEDIEVAL/HELL[/b] (Castles, churches, villages)
    • [b]CONTEMPORARY[/b] (cities/ towns/ houses/ cars/ hotels/ gas stations)
    • [b]HYBRID[/b]: Tech+Gothic (perhaps some Hell)
    • [b]HYBRID[/b]: Tech+City
    • [b]HYBRID[/b]: Eveyrthing you can damn imagine! (vote here if you don`t really care about level`s theme)

ATTN: This is not another "what's your favourite monster/ weapon/ level/ music/ ass/ texture/ sound/ fart/ flat/ whatever "thread.

Using the search function didn't give any results (or I mistyped something), so this is where I go into. I really intend on using the information gathered by this thread's poll, whenever I start my new level. I also encourage other mappers, to find out what's popular, and what's hated.

But also, remeber, that you shouldn't build maps for the only community if you really feel you don't like it. Your artis'ts soul could suffer doing so. Be wise, use this informaion as you desire.

1.Please, don't bump this thread. I hope it can get really useful.
2.If possible, write why are you voting like that, and what maps suit the mentioned theme the most.

So, fell free to vote - what map themes you like the most?

I myself voted on Dark Tech. Darkening 2 and RTC are simpy masterpieces to me...

I'm all for the dark tech. Eventhough Darkening E2 isn't fitting the bill IMO. (nimrod is though, hint hint, nudge nudge, unf unf.)

ellmo said:

ATTN: This is not another "what's your favourite monster/ weapon/ level/ music/ ass/ texture/ sound/ fart/ flat/ whatever "thread.

Using the search function didn't give any results (or I mistyped something), so this is where I go into. I really intend on using the information gathered by this thread's poll, whenever I start my new level. I also encourage other mappers, to find out what's popular, and what's hated.

I remember doing one a long time ago.

Anyway, tech and contemporary for me (industrial too).

Tad bad there isn't an option of a Hybrid: Tech + City, that's my preferred.
Altough I love bright, technology filled techbases, there is nothing I prefer more than bases that were infected by hell's presence. What is this? Where did it come from here? Shining examples of technology and advancement... infected by simple evil. Say no more. Plus darkness. That's all mine.

I love hellish themes like inferno, deus vult… and Quake I of course; in red and black. My desktop wallpapers are all in these kind of colors.

Edit: I like marble themes too.

Shtbag667 said:

I like brick/bstone WADs, like in Doom2, but I don't know what category they fall under.

It's DOOM 2-like...

anyway, thanks for so much interest so far. Anyone else?

Nmn said:

Tad bad there isn't an option of a Hybrid: Tech + City

Hm, yeah... Polls have only 10 options. You could just vote on light tech, or dark tech, depending on what type of Tech + City you like...

Dark (deceit) definately
EDIT:
definately!!!
and I'll say it again ;)
definately
khe khe khe

I am a dark techbase kinda guy myself. I love a dark "creepy" base that has you wondering what is stalking you and whats around the next bend. Though i like having all the eyecandy of a lit up tech base...but it still have to be dynamically lit and not all the same light brightness through out a room. Dark corners and Dimly lit corridors, dreary exterior terrain and skies...etc..etc.

Hahaha... someone's been tempering with the poll. I see eleven options.

City + Tech added :)

Drak Tech i'd say, especially maps doom 64 style. I find the maps the i find that are like that i tend to play the most.

GOTHIC/MEDIEVAL/HELL (Castles, churches, villages

Lots of Wood and/or brick/marble, not much lava etc.

If you had PSX style (original or Final Doom), I'd vote for that.

Good ol' E1 style, with a few comtemporary touches thrown in for good measure (why hasn't anybody done something like that before?)

Scuba Steve said:

Anything that hasn't been done 3000 times before.

Then I think contemporary is the one least popular for mappers. It's kinda difficult, like you need to put a lot of work in houses, and their rooms, and make everything look as much realistic as you can.

Fredrik said:

"dark brown n green" is E1 style rather than Doom 2 style.

You know what I mean... ASHWALLx, BRONZEx, BROWN96, NUKAGEx...
These "browns" are more brown, that E1 browns...

Job said:

If you had PSX style (original or Final Doom), I'd vote for that.

Sorry, I only had 10 options, and I'm not familiar enough with PSX to give it a different category. But it'll be Dark Tech to me...

I like hybrids of tech + gothic...like the maps found in classic E2: The Shores Of Hell.

And oh yes, I admit that I absolutely love the ASHWALL and ROCK textures. I can't design a single map without ever using the ashwall/rocky textures. Really, I can't. I'm always tempted to create at least one room which uses those.