Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
m0l0t0v

High resolution sprites

How do I put high resolution sprites into my wad?

For example (hypothetically): how do I replace the regular demon sprites (40 x 60 pixels) with 200 x 300 pixels with the Demon remaining the same height with the game...

What program should I use?

Well, you don't need a program to make the sprites high-res - but it does depend on what port you use how to make the sprite scale down. For example, with ZDoom, you need to use a dehacked patch:

Thing 34 (Rocket)
Scale = 0.25
And in EDGE, you find the code for the Thing you want to scale in Things.DDF, then add the following line before the States:
SPRITE_SCALE=0.25;
I don't know how to do this in other ports, though I'm certain that it's at least possible in Doomsday, Risen3D, and (potentially, I can't be sure) Legacy.

In Doomsday

You can use PCX, PNG or TGA. PCX/PNG supports 8bit colour with masking. PNG/TGA supports 24/32bit (with alpha).

If it's just for you: stick your hires patches in the Data/jDoom/Patches folder.

or in a PK3: the virtual Data/jDoom/Patches folder

or in a WAD: use wadtool to put them into the WAD as DD_DIREC lump entries

You don't need to do any scaling as they'll be resized to that of the originals. If you do though, edit the size of the sprite frame in a wad tool.

Well, you don't need a program to make the sprites high-res - but it does depend on what port you use how to make the sprite scale down. For example, with ZDoom, you need to use a dehacked patch:

code:Thing 34 (Rocket)
Scale = 0.25

Wow, that really worked! I'd never thought it'd be so easy.

thanks!

DaniJ said:

In Doomsday...

Does that work for sprites (I don't think it does). The original question was about sprites. Your answer covers patches and flats.

Enjay said:

Does that work for sprites (I don't think it does). The original question was about sprites. Your answer covers patches and flats.

Patches includes sprites as well.