Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Double Your Doom 3 Fun

Release dates for both the Doom 3 expansion and the XBox version (which was recently pushed back) have been announced. Both will be coming out on the week of April 4th, so all you guys with XBoxes who never got to play Doom 3 and you people who played Doom 3 but didn't think it was long enough, get ready... in like two months.

"Brace yourself for a new breed of fear and excitement," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "DOOM 3 for the Xbox brings gripping action, unparalleled graphics and sound, and a truly terrifying experience to the home theater. This is DOOM 3 built for the Xbox, including 480p and wide-screen support, full Xbox Live multiplayer, and the Xbox exclusive 2-player co-op campaign. For fans of DOOM 3 on the PC, Resurrection of Evil takes you to the undiscovered depths of the UAC's Mars base and back to Hell itself for a vicious new battle with the forces of evil and the most ferocious demons imaginable."

I don't know about you guys, but I never get tired of Todd Hollenshead telling me to brace myself for both a gripping and terrifying experience.

Of course I'll give it a chance. In fact it's very likely I'll go out and buy the expansion the day it's released, because I have no common sense or self control whatsoever. But that won't stop me from making unfounded smart arsed comments ;)

The first part of the add-on apparently takes place in the ruins from the end of Doom 3, so it won't all look the same ;).

NiGHTMARE said:

The first part of the add-on apparently takes place in the ruins from the end of Doom 3, so it won't all look the same ;).

I'm hoping there'll be a good amount of temple/ruins/hell/anythemebesidestech maps in the expansion. I won't bother to get my hopes up, though.

i must be part of a shrinking minority of people who loved doom3 for what it was: halflife meets system shock 2 with a liberal applying of id-style ambushes.

i had ZERO gripes with it- not even the flashlight was too much of a problem.

of course there's better, but hey, i found it fun.

I agree.

Doom3 wasn't meant to be a revolution in the way we think of gameplay and AI. It never pretends to be any more than an action game with tense, scary atmosphere. If you bought it thinking any different then yo da fool! When has ANY ID game been about the story or deep character development/interaction.

I'm not saying I'm not looking forward to it but I hope there is a bit more varriety in the locals this time. Actually on second thoughts I'll just go by the Painkiller expansion. I had a lot more fun playing that than I did Doom3 for some reason...

actually, i take that back. i do have one gripe- it wasn't scary (although it had a few creepy moments). maybe i've played too many horror games (system shock 2 included), but doom3 didn't really do much for me. i don't understand why; it has all the proper elements for a spooky atmosphere, but it just didn't cut the mustard.

there are a few very tense moments, though. i think the long walk through the darkened area with the lone scientist and his lamp would've been much more tense if there were fewer monster encounters, though. the bit with the hydraulic ladder and the trites was tension guaranteed, and it's one of my favourite parts of the game.

dethtoll said:

i must be part of a shrinking minority of people who loved doom3

Don't let feedback on forums skewer things. Not everyone posts on forums (most don't in fact) so they're never going to be a reliable source for gauging something like Doom 3's popularity. It's a natural human tendency that angry people tend to be more vocal than happy ones, especially on the internet and especially when it comes to games.

HERRREEE COMES THE NIGHT TRAINNN CHOOO CHOOO fuck that... the expansion should of came with coop not xbox those guys at nerve they made coop for other titles didnt they?? i say we all rebel until theres coop

dethtoll said:

i must be part of a shrinking minority of people who loved doom3 for what it was:

Aye, you and me both . :p Shaviro falls into that category aswell.

A "scary game" is not something that has big, fast monsters with huge teeth and deep growls. A "scary game" is not made out of gallons of blood or bodies violently crashing into walls. A scary game is definitely not made out of crying babies or glowing red eyes. In order to make a scary game, you need to know the subtle things. You can't just push, push, push fear into people as hard as you can. It doesn't work that way. Fear is a science, and the ID developers do not study the science. ID software is a team of graphics designers and programmers, not horror writers. Doom 3 goes against every rule of what a "scary" experience should be. But nobody should expect ID to make a scary because that's not their domain. Above all, ID should not promote itself as a horror-maker because it isn't. Other than the ability to draw big teeth and biceps, ID has no qualifications in the "fear" department.

MORBIDTWATT said:

HERRREEE COMES THE NIGHT TRAINNN CHOOO CHOOO fuck that... the expansion should of came with coop not xbox those guys at nerve they made coop for other titles didnt they?? i say we all rebel until theres coop

why don't you check out Last Man Standing, OpenCoop, or Doom reborn instead?

DaniJ said:

Doom3 wasn't meant to be a revolution in the way we think of gameplay and AI. It never pretends to be any more than an action game with tense, scary atmosphere. If you bought it thinking any different then yo da fool! When has ANY ID game been about the story or deep character development/interaction.

Uh yea it was. Wasn't that the big hype? SINGLE PALYER GAMEPLAY STORY!!!!!!! ID OMGH REVOLUTION

Jesus do you live under a boulder

you know, i think all the hype about a single player experience was simply them trying to say "put down the fucking counterstrike for a moment"

or words to that effect

there's just way too much emphasis on multiplayer these days, if you ask me, yeah, it can be fun, but lots of people want something more substantial.