Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eragon

Black void in DB 3D mode

I was working on one of my maps when I decided to test my recent changes. I loaded it up in the latest ZDoom(.96) and then I tried it in ZDoomGL(.84, I believe). After I was finished, I went back into DB and went to open up the 3D mode, when nearly half the screen has a huge black streak in it. It appears to be some sort of Direct X conflict, becuase when I use print screen to capture it, I don't get anything of the void. But from there I can't figure out much more. I've tried shutting my music player down(and keeping it off), turning Apache off, seperately testing the maps, etc. It seems to only happen once I run ZDoom, doesn't matter which map I load either. Here's my specs:
2.2 Ghz AMD Athlon XP+
1024x768 desktop view with 85 refresh rate
GeForce 4 MX integrated CPU(64MB)
512 MB Ram

That should be enough specs :P

I have the same black spots too,they appear when you editing i 3d mode.
It can be very irrtating,but most of the time they don't bother me too much though.
If you save your wad and go test it you wont see them anymore,its some kind of bug/error whatever you call it in doombuilder.
I have no idea what causes these problems,maybe sombody can explain this...codeimp for example :)

Well, these aren't exactly block spots, and what you said doesn't work for me unfortunately :( This has never happened to me before(then again, that was my old comp :P) So I can't think of whats doing it...
Hmm, I'll make a representation of the glitch I'm getting.

In DB, theres some dithered 32x32 cubes, but I didnt feel like drawing them :P That's pretty much the massive bar that follows me around the map and dances when I move the mouse a little.

[edit] The void is also cubicly shaped/angeled, its a smidge less blobby then what I drew. Oh, and restarting my computer fixes this problem, but its rather annoying to restart every time I wanna use 3D mode + test.

wierd. maybe a video card-specific problem? ask the doombuilder creator.
I sometime get long black triangles that stick out of certain vertexes but they don't block the few or affect the map when i actually play it, and disappear when i re-load the map in doombuilder.
But I've never had a problem like that!

Its not a card thing, it might be a driver conflict with DB. I have a 6800 (sli) PCI-E Geforce, and it does something similar from time to time. But i just re-boot and it goes away. My friend who has an X800(or whatever that pci-e ATI card is :P ), has not had a problem. It might just be a glitch with nvidia drivers, since one driver rules all nvidia chipset graphics cards.

sounds like directx/video driver/windows issue. theres no way DB can draw anything like that with a correct map.

What is the latest driver you have? Go to nvidia.com and get the 66.93 driver. It should fix the issue. I forgot to update mine:P I did the update and have not experianced the little glitch:) Also what version of DirectX are you running? 9.0b or 9.0c?

I have the 66.93 drivers and DX 9.0c. I actually managed to fix it, by first re-installing ZDoom 63a. It was kinda fixed, but not quite, so I uninstalled DB, reinstalled it, then re-installed ZDoom 63a one more time, and now it's fixed. I'm guessing it had something to do with ZDoom .96 not exiting the Direct X loop right, and making one of the buffers seem as if it was in use, or something. :P