Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ragnew

Caverns of Darkness - Zdoom version.

Definitely a KICK ASS set of maps (very, very fun) and I think it was about time that someone made it playable on one of the newer Ports (thanks Graf).

But, I've encountered something kind of strange, in the player's display screen (ammo, health keys and such) sometimes the marines mugshot will disappear. Not too sure what causes it to vanish, but I'm starting to think that it might happen after you die in the level...

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, does anyone know what to do to take care of it?

ragnew said:

Definitely a KICK ASS set of maps (very, very fun) and I think it was about time that someone made it playable on one of the newer Ports (thanks Graf).

But, I've encountered something kind of strange, in the player's display screen (ammo, health keys and such) sometimes the marines mugshot will disappear. Not too sure what causes it to vanish, but I'm starting to think that it might happen after you die in the level...

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, does anyone know what to do to take care of it?

That's a bug in ZDoom which is fixed for the next version.

WildWeasel said:

That's a bug in ZDoom which is fixed for the next version.

Ah, cool. Thanks for the info Wild Weasel.

I rarely use the original status bar as it stands, and since I insist on using 2.0.63a for nearly everything, the bug doesn't affect me. Many of the bugfixes in the .90 series are negligible for me anyway, being that I'm not a mapper...

But I digress. The CoD update is very neat.

Alright then. ;)

On the topic though, definitely gonna have to play this set again... using the original engine, I would get some kind of sound distortion or crackling (similarly to what I get in timer.exe, for the demo people).

dutch devill said:

(...) Call of Duty,because i like that game.

No please... Another game which lies about WW2 history, same as all american WW2 games, and most of american WW2 movies. Maybe not lie... but tell only a slightest bit of truth.

ellmo said:

No please... Another game which lies about WW2 history, same as all american WW2 games, and most of american WW2 movies. Maybe not lie... but tell only a slightest bit of truth.

To be honest i know very little about WW2 history,maybe we do get the wrong impression by looking WW2 movies and playing WW2 games.
So therefor i have no idea if they are really happend the way you play those kind of games,and see those movies.
But altough its truth is not entirely accurate,i still like the game.

dutch devill said:

But altough its truth is not entirely accurate,i still like the game.

Okay, the game itself rather nice... I you cut off the history part that is.

Vile said:

Alright then. ;)

On the topic though, definitely gonna have to play this set again... using the original engine, I would get some kind of sound distortion or crackling (similarly to what I get in timer.exe, for the demo people).

That seems to be a common problem a lot of people have with Allegro, which is the library that Eternity uses for sound in DOS.

I have yet to play this (freakin' dial-up -- that's also the reason no new D:AU shots have been released), but I'm looking forward to it. Since apparently only about 25 people were actually able to get the original engine to work, I'm glad someone took it upon himself to update the thing.

How does it play compared to the original? Has anyone played both and can actually compare the two?

Hey Lutz, didn't know you were still lurking around here...

I haven't tried yet, but Graf used the original source so it's probably OK. I've been meaning to sit down with it for a couple of weeks. I've tried doing a version of the thing with Eternity without using custom code, but keep running into limitations, and James and I can never seem to be in the same place at the same time to discuss it and come up with a solution :(

Graf had to customise even ZDoom slightly, so that pretty much gives the middle finger to all those people saying we didn't need a custom engine, muhahahaha! :)

Lutz said:

How does it play compared to the original? Has anyone played both and can actually compare the two?

I wish I could. But due to XP I am completely unable to run the old DOS version in any way. It crashes before I can see anything.

As for changing ZDoom there wasn't much I needed. I already did some stuff to create custom weapons which is waiting to be included into ZDoom and the only other things I had to do was to fix an incompatibility between Boom's/Eternity's scrolling code, the healing sector and an option to translate the healing and instant death sector types so that ZDoom can use them. All the rest was done with external data - all new monsters, the secret weapon and the new linedef types.

Of course there are some differences between the engines and logically they show in some places - most notably with the Lost Souls which get spawned by some monsters. Due to ZDoom's sound handling it is possible to kill the monsters containing those so that the Lost Souls don't wake up when they are spawned.
One thing in particular I wasn't able to test whether it behaves as intended and that is the monster spawning Arch-Vile. I made it without any specific coding and I think it is doing what the source suggests but without a reference I can't be 100% certain.

BTW, I am planning to make one update when the next ZDoom version is released. Hopefully that won't need a custom EXE anymore.

Joel: I am practically always around, and if not, all you gotta do is email me or leave a message in the Eternity forum and I will get to it ASAP. I have prioritized fixing Small and adding custom pickup items and the EDF weapons engine for you, since those are things that are needed for an Eternity CoD update. This is not going to happen overnight, though. Small is still in very bad shape, and like I mentioned earlier, making the weapons system dynamic isn't a minor undertaking. But, I'll do the best I can, and I'm truly sorry that it has taken so long. Without the stuff I've done in the meantime, we wouldn't be at the point we're at now, though.

Lutz said:

Just finished the whole set and have to say i didn't find any problem, run as fine as the DOS version (in my case). Just cool as the original :).
But surely uncapped frame rate and 1024 X 768 res really rockz!!!

Quasar said:

Joel: I am practically always around, and if not, all you gotta do is email me or leave a message in the Eternity forum and I will get to it ASAP. I have prioritized fixing Small and adding custom pickup items and the EDF weapons engine for you, since those are things that are needed for an Eternity CoD update. This is not going to happen overnight, though. Small is still in very bad shape, and like I mentioned earlier, making the weapons system dynamic isn't a minor undertaking. But, I'll do the best I can, and I'm truly sorry that it has taken so long. Without the stuff I've done in the meantime, we wouldn't be at the point we're at now, though.

Don't apologise James. You don't owe me or anyone jackshit. Do what needs to be done and keep me posted. I'm in no hurry.