Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

Doom Armory needs a redesign

Well, I've been having technical problems with the Doom Armory website as of late, considering the fact that its constructed with primitive HTML, using a WYSIWYG editor...

The reason I post this is because I need somebody to help redesign the Doom Armory's front page. I am no good at all with programming of any sort, and this includes learning new languages (PHP? Perl? CGI? CCS? What are these things, except pure jargon to the layman?).

If anybody intends to help redesign, you needn't provide images, as I intend the design to be based on the official forum's skin.

My ideal content for the redesign would include some kind of easy-to-update database to archive reviews, tutorials, news, and articles; and a news script that I could use to easily update the front page with.

If anybody is interested in helping me out in redesigning the site, please get back to me as soon as possible, be it in this thread or over e-mail. I will discuss further details if they are needed.

AgentSpork said:

It's not that difficult. Really.

I've already tried those tutorials. Teaching me to learn a new language is as useful as trying to teach a cat to fly.

WildWeasel said:

I've already tried those tutorials. Teaching me to learn a new language is as useful as trying to teach a cat to fly.

Poor fellow... :P

Unless you can recommend a very simple template that needs no programming knowledge to set up, I can't use it.

One of the things I don't like is people who say "Oh, I could NEVER learn programming." It just irks me, especially seeing as how DeHackEd and Edge stuff that WildWeasel does counts as programming (just not in it's own program). Seriously, take the time to learn html. It is not hard at all.

Although, maybe it's like those kids who can't grasp math...

There is nothing wrong with raw HTML. However, HTML's purpose is for tagging information, not so much for tagging presentation specifics. Learn CSS, and it'll be well worth your time. You don't need JavaScript or PHP or anything of that sort for what you're doing. If you had a mod database something on a scale like /idgames, then you probably would.

Go to w3schools.com, seriously, and at least read about the philosophy of CSS. From then on out, give yourself a day or two, and if you decide you really can't swing it yourself, we should talk. I might be willing to throw together something simple but elegant if I can maintain any sort of motivation.

It took me at least a year to get the hang of Edge DDF, and another to figure out DeHackEd. I don't want to have to spend time learning another language, especially since it's only for a hobby and not any serious career-building.

Heh, you shoud of asked us at DW. Sure you would get more stupider posts, but at least we don't care to force you to learn HTML and do it yourself. :p

Anyways I don't know much about this kind of stuff. You might be able to find a dark blue skin thats not html out there, but I tried, and I got fucking winamp skins.

WildWeasel said:

If anybody is interested in helping me out in redesigning the site, please get back to me as soon as possible, be it in this thread or over e-mail. I will discuss further details if they are needed.

I could help, since you're the part of DRD family ^_^

Click the link to my homepage. It was made only using notepad for editing HTML. If the look of R-1 page suits you enough it's fine, I als could do better, but pages should be rather simple (they open faster), and have intuitive interface. Perhaps NMN could do some buttons, and you could provide me with a handful of screenshots from your projects, to tweak things up.

At last there is somebody willing to help instead of saying "Do it yourself you ****ing lazy bum" (and variants therein). I appreciate your offer, Ellmo - expect a PM soon.

WildWeasel said:

At last there is somebody willing to help instead of saying "Do it yourself you ****ing lazy bum" (and variants therein). I appreciate your offer, Ellmo - expect a PM soon.

Did you totally miss mine?

Ultraviolet said:

Did you totally miss mine?

Guess it was lost among the other motivating ones ^_^