Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

Mass Javastruction

Or whatever. Matt Tropiano informs me there's a new version of his DoomStruct Java Library out. DoomStruct is, as the name might suggest, a library written in Java which you can use to make a level editor or something similar that deals with WADs or Doom levels.

Isn't his name Matt Tropiano? "Tropiana" sounds like a cheesy disco somewhere in Spain. And on topic, even though he gets an A+ for effort, and I hope this is put to good use, that's some heavy Spaghetti coding.

Yeah, I admit that some objects rely on others in the code, but I tried to make it as organized as possible without making everything to horrible. Some code was a pain in the ass to type over and over again, so I made lower classes do it. I think that maybe the worst example of it in DoomStruct is the creation of DoomMaps.

DoomMap calls other functions in the Lump constructors, which call other sub-functions to get the data within a DoomMap. Convoluted, I know. High overhead, definitely. But it's still a work in progress.

Yeah, heheh, of course. I'm sure this'll turn out great! I hope you took my comments the right way, I didn't mean to upset you or anything. And after all, the user sees only the UI...

Yeah, the End-User'll never know what hit 'im - haha.

Next up is PlayPal abstraction, and maybe ColorMap and Demo, if I figure it out with the help of the Unofficial Doom FAQ.

Mista T said:

Yeah, I admit that some objects rely on others in the code, but I tried to make it as organized as possible without making everything to horrible. Some code was a pain in the ass to type over and over again,

What? You typed the same code over and over again? You REPEATED CODE??

DoomMap calls other functions in the Lump constructors, which call other sub-functions to get the data within a DoomMap. Convoluted, I know. High overhead, definitely. But it's still a work in progress.

Trust me; once you take your code down the path of spaghettiness, you ain't EVER finding your way back.

Bad code can only ever get worse. It never gets better.

Right now, I've switched from using Linked Lists for storing Lump and Wad Information to using Vectors. Programs that use the Linked Lists for doing data-manipulation will still function, though - I've left the LL code in. Everything will be better performance-wise for version 1.1.

Besides, it's still not too hard to pick up errors, to me. I know my code like the back of my hand. If something goes wrong, I usually find it.

And in my defense, when you're doing things like converting bytes to integers and vice-versa throughout the entire library, there is bound to be repeats in the code used to do such conversions.

Sign in to follow this