Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr8

The first Arch-Vile in Doom II ?

The first time you see him, it's on map14 "The Inmost Dens" right ?

Nope. Map 11 - Circle of Death. In the room where you get the Plasma Gun.

Yes, exact !
My memory has disfunctions... ;)

No, memory is small and brown/black/grey, and it is shaped like a rectangular beetle with lots of metal legs. It is measured by natural powers of the number 2.

Functions are 12 square buttons, divided into 3 groups of 4. They are soft and it feels good to press them.

The first Arch-Vile in Doom II?

Map11 - Circle of Death ("O" of Destruction)

Edited By: Zeratul 982 on 21 Nov 2001 14:06

Almost said map20 for some stupid reason. *scoff*

I'll take a wild guess and say that it has to do with the coding. The map is probably supposed to be called 'O' of Destruction, but on the intermission screen the map name wouldn't be recognized when an apostrophe is included. Another example is in the PSX version of Final Doom. The Plutonia map Baron's Lair was missing the apostrophe on the intermission screen.

But then, I look at all of that and remember one the name of one of my maps on Stone Stratagems:

Map31 - The Barons' Temple

...And the apostrophe worked, but probably because replacing the map's name on the intermission screen involved nothing but a little copy-pasting. So again, I think it has to do with the coding and its ability to recognize apostrophes.

I think it has to do with the coding and its ability to recognize hyphens.

You mean apostrophes?

The intermission screen names are just graphics, they can use whatever characters they want for those. The map names are the ones that are restricted to a certain character set.

Any particular reason why map11 was also called "'O' of Destruction"?

Well, my theory is that it went like this:

'O' of destruction! is a rather dumb name. Since DooM was supposed to be a scary game (it was when I hadn't seen better graphics) 'O' of destruction! wouldn't exactly strike fear into my heart. Circle of death, however, sounds really cool. I think they just changed the name to show up in the game, and either forgot to change the name in the code, or figured it was ok because no one would see it.

Any particular reason why map11 was also called "'O' of Destruction"?

Well, my theory is that it went like this:

'O' of destruction! is a rather dumb name. Since DooM was supposed to be a scary game (it was when I hadn't seen better graphics) 'O' of destruction! wouldn't exactly strike fear into my heart. Circle of death, however, sounds really cool. I think they just changed the name to show up in the game, and either forgot to change the name in the code, or figured it was ok because no one would see it.

Nah, I think 'O' of destruction is very descriptive to "Circle of Death". As you imagine the shape of map11, you can probably figure why it was named "circle" since its layout is circular, and 'O' represents as a circle. So, it makes sense of why they'd name it like that.

You people argue about anything..

Oh damn look! One of my harddrive's making silly noises! Let's start a flamewar!!!%$/(%

You people argue about anything..

Oh damn look! One of my harddrive's making silly noises! Let's start a flamewar!!!%$/(%

MY HARD DRIVE IS BETTER THAN YOURS DIPSHIT

POST HELL

YOU HURT MY FEELINGS NOW I'M GONNA REGISTER ON DOOMCENTER AND SPEAK PESTERS OF YOU AND DOOMWORLD SNIF BWAAAA

LOL.

That's why I like forums... You can call someone an asshole in all sencerity, get into a massive arguement, and not get shot for your troubles. ^_^

Yeah we all love this electronic shield. Nothing like watching 2 guys post their addresses in the middle of their arguements.

I know a couple of guys who actually met and have a fight, so it's not wise to flame people on your own city.

That's why Zaldron and Lüt are here: To protect us from our own dumb selves. (And we do appreciate it. :)

That's why Zaldron and Lüt are here: To protect us from our own dumb selves. (And we do appreciate it. :)

Hell I'm not gonna stop any fights. I'll place a bet or something...