Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

Scythe map16 Nightmare demo

Well well, I just happened to think about Scythe map16 earlier today for some weird reason and thought "Could this be beatable in NM?" I think you can already guess the answer right now :).

I did a NM demo for map16 in 0:46. The time can be improved without much trouble since the exit scene was bad. Still, I'm happy to have filled one more spot on the Scythe NM demo list at DSDA ^_^. Sending the demo to Ops now.

PS: Hopefully someone has time to improve this. I'd really like to see it get into the 0:40-0:43 range. Anyone who thinks they can accomplish that, please do :).

Neat demo. Great tactic/route! BTW, shouldn't it be possible to push the exit switch through the Arch-Vile? (á la p2m4) It would save a bundle of time...

EDIT: Typo.

Kristian Ronge said:

Neat demo. Great tactic/route! BTW, shouldn't it be possible to push the exit switch through the Arch-Vile? (á la p2m4) It would save a bundle of time...

EDIT: Typo.

Yeah, it's possible to hit the exit switch through the Arch-Vile. I did that on the :48 I had while not recording.

Now that I think about it, I was indeed trying to do that in the demo, but I think you can't be attacking with a rapid fire weapon (Such as the Plasma Gun) and trying to hit the exit switch at the exact same time, which would explain why I had a bit of trouble with the ending.

Perhaps I'll give it another go here in the next couple of days.

Oh, and thanks for the comments ^_^.

Oh yeah! Another 80+ attempts later and I improved on my map16 NM speed greatly. Time for this one is 0:39, 7 seconds faster than my previous time! Sending off to Ops now.

PS: It's also a NM 100% secrets demo (as was my previous :46).

While both of those were great to watch, The second one looks much more polished than the first. I guess that is what another 80 runs will do for you.

Nice job.

I sure don't have the stamina to make 100+ runs in a map to get a great time.

Of course that is why I won't ever be a truly good player. I guess decent is OK for me.

Thanks.

Searcher said:

While both of those were great to watch, The second one looks much more polished than the first. I guess that is what another 80 runs will do for you.

Nice job.

Thanks.

80+ attempts is nothing to me :) *Looks at my HR2 map25 and map26 UV-Speed, both of which took around 100+ attempts each to get one exit*.

I'm glad you enjoyed both of my demos. Now then...

Anyone who can do a Nightmare map22 run has got a lot patience or tons of luck. I had a few goes and I can't even get to the BSK. If you can do a NM demo for the level, I tip my hat off to you ^_^.

I also tip my hat off to anyone if you can make a NM map29 demo :).

Wow! I'm amazed! Now all we need is to get lots of good players to collaborate and do a Scythe demoset. Not likely I'd be too good at this, seeing as I'm a total keyboarder (apparently, my doom skills are teh suck because i don't know how to use a mouse, or at least the Scythe readme makes that assumption). Anyway, that would be about the coolest thing ever.

You may notice that an old (and expected) feature has be recently re-added.
yes, that's right folks, direct download links on every page for demos (and most wads).
(disclaimer: it isn't without MANY faults still, but at least most links now work.)
again, great demo.

Opulent.

That is a great thing to have back. MY GOSH! I got to where I wouldn't hardly go get them from 3d it was so frustrating.

Cool!

Slayne said:

Wow! I'm amazed! Now all we need is to get lots of good players to collaborate and do a Scythe demoset. Not likely I'd be too good at this, seeing as I'm a total keyboarder (apparently, my doom skills are teh suck because i don't know how to use a mouse, or at least the Scythe readme makes that assumption). Anyway, that would be about the coolest thing ever.

Thanks, it was quite fun to do. I'm also surprised no one else did this. It certainly isn't tough, just need some luck at a couple points.

As for thinking you need to use a mouse to be good...if it makes you feel more relaxed, I'm a keyboarder myself :). Also, that comment about needing a mouse really only applies to map28 (the map where you have only 30 seconds or so to exit), and only if you play on UV.

So... yeah. I'd like to see more of whatever you do next. Well, I'm off to download some deathmatch lmps off doom2.net. Rock!

Or here (click on "Doom2 Iwad demos" or "Doom2 Pwad demos" - if the download links don't work, you can browse here to find the files).

Hell yeah! I've been watching SDA stuff for the past week solid. Got the Scythe demoset, and my favorite of all them has got to be stx-Vile's run through map30 on maxkills. It's fun to watch. Anyway, there's good stuff all over the SDA, so anyone who doesn't go there first and foremost for demos should change.
(Opulent edit: wonderful to hear. :)

I know the feeling... it feels like being a kid in a candy store!

BTW, you have checked out COMPET-N, haven't you? (If not, well, then you're fully booked for the next month or so...)

Kristian Ronge said:

I know the feeling... it feels like being a kid in a candy store!

BTW, you have checked out COMPET-N, haven't you? (If not, well, then you're fully booked for the next month or so...)

What Kristian said. I'll just add that watch your jaw, I almost lost mine from it dropping all the time I watched compet-n demos for the first time. :)))

I know, it's all great fun. Love all of this. Why every Doomer ever doesn't watch and record demos is beyond me. It's fun as hell.

SDA and Compet-N are really good pages about the best dooming ever...

Something is troubling me lately. I've come across a lot of new players (including some from my own country, France), usually rather young (15-20), that think using Budko's prboom TAS functions is not cheating...
That puzzles me since they dont seem to understand that to make a "real" demo you need to restart from scratch every single time you die or fuck up something.
These people usually claim to have done doom2 in less than 15 mins and think it's not cheating... that's a serious insult to any serious demo recorder that spends days or even month perfecting their art.

Awesome. There's a sense of purity to Vince's runs that I like. The Doom2 movie he did makes for great watching. Also, I guess the anger rises from playing a level over and over, being totally dedicated to playing it to perfection, and then having that time beaten by someone using an app to give an unfair advantage.

Kristian Ronge said:
I find it puzzling and disturbing that there are people who have such an attitude towards TAS.

To be honest, I feel TAS is a hack and generally don't find the demos entertaining. Plus most or all of the major TAS releases lately have come up badly documented, causing confusion or presenting a wrongful image. And when you see people producing TAS demos when they don't do real ones, it becomes even less tasteful. Not that I'm telling people what to do, it's just what I find preferrable. Genuine demos are great. TAS can be okay if used for the right reason, but that's about it.

Slayne said:

Awesome. There's a sense of purity to Vince's runs that I like. The Doom2 movie he did makes for great watching. Also, I guess the anger rises from playing a level over and over, being totally dedicated to playing it to perfection, and then having that time beaten by someone using an app to give an unfair advantage.

Thx but I cannot accept this compliment... IMO if you want purity in a run, I would recommend watching Vile, Ocelot, Seldo, Henning and Adam_H demos :)
I usually play a bit shaky, I miss many shots, get lost sometimes, look for roaming monsters... not what I call purity :)

PS : Wanted = Lost SSG aiming, lost 2 years ago cannot find it, big reward :)

By purity in a run, I don't necessarily mean perfection. Nobody has perfect aim, everyone bumps into things, sometimes some of us stupidly miss the switch on the wall, (even though we've played the same map for a week straight!) little mistakes lead to slower times, etc. But when I say I get a sense of purity in a run when watching stuff by Vince/Vile/Radek or any of the recorders that don't use TAS, I mean I get the feeling that they've really put a lot of serious time and effort into making a run look like something truly amazing. It kinda sounds... fanboyish in a way, but I mean it. I totally respect how much time and practice (and sometimes annoyance) goes into making each demo I see. That's why I find the TAS demos so unfulfilling. What's the point of using tools to record a demo that shows off your skill? The whole point of sharing LMP's is to help and entertain. You see how to run faster, you have a really great time watching the run. Everything works out great. That's why SDA and Compet-N are some of my favorite Doom sites and why I love to watch demos so much. Not only is it Dooming taken to the art of perfection, but it's just entertaining to see. Wow, I've really rambled on for a while now, so I guess I should just shut up and end the dramatics.
Real skill + real dedication = real demos.

Slayne said:
That's why I find the TAS demos so unfulfilling. What's the point of using tools to record a demo that shows off your skill? The whole point of sharing LMP's is to help and entertain.

The point of TAS is not, has never been, and will never be, to "show off skill". The purpose is, as you concluded in the following sentence, to *entertain*. TAS demos are entertaining because they are "perfect", and/or realize the "impossible". You must view them in a whole other way than normal demos.

Kristian Ronge said:

The point of TAS is not, has never been, and will never be, to "show off skill". The purpose is, as you concluded in the following sentence, to *entertain*. TAS demos are entertaining because they are "perfect", and/or realize the "impossible". You must view them in a whole other way than normal demos.

That being said, one might also note that TAS demos are not necessarily as easy as they might seem at first glance. I suppose one wouldn't be able to reproduce Andrey's 30uv1441 without investing quite some time, for example...