Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fezzador

Help w/ map

Ok, I updated it and tell me if you think that looks better (and yes, I added the acid damage).

dd, very nicely done. I love those cross-shaped lights. I might have to put a couple of those in when I have the time!

You're getting better, just keep practising with detail until your map resembles one of dd's :P

OK, maybe you don't have to go that far.

Youre wright adding detail takes a lot of time,but in the end you will be glad that you did add detail in your wad.
Because creating a good wad these days(that most people hopefully like),is much more difficult than back in lets say 94/95,well imo.
Keep up the good work fezz :)

I spruced up the big rectangular room with the slime fountain by adding a open-ended room in the southwest corner.

Well i have just gave it a go again,and sadly found some very small problems,maybe im just being picky.
But anyhow i just want to show them to you,see what you can do with it.
I can explain to you what your going to see but im lazy,so just check these screens to know what im talking about.
One is a strange switch,and the other are ehh three switches stacked on top off each other...it just doesnt look wright.
1 switch
3 switches

They are now fixed.

I have no idea how to make a curved switch work properly so I just moved it across the door.

fezzador said:

I have no idea how to make a curved switch work properly so I just moved it across the door.

Dont make them curved,i sure don't do it on my wads.

fezzador said:

I added a few extra monsters so it should be considerably more difficult now.

And what about detail,how is it going with that.
Well gonna test your wad again and see if its better now,if i discover some odd things ill let you know.
Lol i must have tested your wad more than my own creation.

impClaw said:

hey a generall tip, work on one room before making another.

Good tip impclaw i work that way too,here's another implement enemies as last.
Its so annoying to kill them over and over again,or have to use "kill monsters" every time.
I only use enemies to test certain areas,if it works i remove them for the time being,and move on to the next area.

I just played it again, it's improving but it also has 2 new problems:

-Scrolling computer screens are :S
-A UV demon is stuck inside one of the opening walls before the big arrow, the opening wall needs to be widened

Impclaw grew into a very ambitious and quickly improving mapper. Very proud :) Keep on mapping and soon You will make really cool detailed maps (/looks at those who say KDIZD is only detail, like MasterofDeath)... erm, really great maps :)

Xen, can you show me the scrolling problem? I fixed the door (not uploaded yet, though, I want to put in a few more things first) but I don't know exactly where you found this...

The scrolling computers are in the room you just added to the large room with the slime fountain. You referenced it here:

I spruced up the big rectangular room with the slime fountain by adding a open-ended room in the southwest corner.

It's the screens in the corners oppisite of the Hell Knights.

Also, the lowering floor that giant arrow points to has it's walls set to lower unpegged; it shouldn't be. It doesn't look right having the bricks stand still while the wall lowers.

dutch devill said:

Good tip impclaw i work that way too,here's another implement enemies as last.
Its so annoying to kill them over and over again,or have to use "kill monsters" every time.

(bind m "kill monsters")

type that in the console to make "m" kill all monsters, and also type

(bind mouse2 mdk)

That makes the second mousebutton kill any fiend without any sound...

NMN:

Impclaw grew into a very ambitious and quickly improving mapper. Very proud :)

Thanks for the nice words, always improving my skills...

impClaw said:

(bind m "kill monsters")
type that in the console to make "m" kill all monsters, and also type
(bind mouse2 mdk)
That makes the second mousebutton kill any fiend without any sound...

You can do some key binding,thanks for the tip i totally forgot about that option.

I just got around to testing out what you have so far. Some areas are not too bad, but some areas still need a little fine tuning. There was one thing in particular that got my attention even though I may be a little picky:

Textures that scroll around a sector are a pain to perfect without having some misalignment problem once reaching the linedef where you started aligning the textures. METAL1 is an especially stubborn texture when it comes to attempting this. You could try and "hide" this misalignment by moving/creating some vertices to form a couple of beams that consist of METAL, DOORSTOP, etc. (with scrolling turned off for those linedefs of course). Personally, I would take the scrolling effect off, but the problem above would still have to be dealt with. You could result to more complicated procedures, but I won't go there.

Be sure to fix unescapable situations as well, like when teleporting back to that area where the floor raises to the ceiling.

Actually there is a switch to lower the wall on the reverse side of the switch that lowers the lift in the courtyard.

fezzador said:

All right, the final design is done, all that is left is touch-up.

Detail it,add items,test it,test it again,test it yet again,then release it :)

Isn't there a utility that determines if there is enough ammunition/health for the amount of monsters for a particular level?