Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

how do you change the pickup messages for heretic/hexen weapons in doom?

Are you sure? If the strings have been added to the LANGUAGE lump definition, they should be changable in DEHACKED. Some time ago Randy told me everything in LANGUAGE can be changed using DEHACKED string substitution. Of course, you'd have to get a new strings.i file that comes with the LANGUAGE compiler (stringlist.exe) so that you could find the names of the new strings. I don't think that has been made public yet (the one on the ftp is dated July 2003). Maybe you could track the string names down by raking through the Zdoom source and finding where the source references the various strings. My guess is they would probably appear in the definitions for the pick-ups.

Unless Randy is doing Strife pick-up strings differently (although I can't see why that would be the case).

I'm sure: It's hard coded.

For the Strife Crossbow pickup message:

const char *PickupMessage ()
	{
		return "You picked up the crossbow";
	}
};
For Doom Clip pickup message
const char *PickupMessage ()
	{
		return GStrings(GOTCLIP);
	}
};
The Strife Crossbow refers to a hard coded message where as the Doom Clip refer's to a string which can be edited externally.

Hmmm, Okay, thanks for the info. I wonder why Randy broke with his established method for the Strife Stuff.