Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bragg

"Return to Wolfenstein" in stores

Blues website says "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" is now arriving in stores. $49.95.
Has anyone picked up a copy and played it? How is it?

Didn't think it would be arriving so soon. Anyway, I don't have the minimum sysreqs for it, so getting it is out of the question for me.

For you guys who are thinking about buying Wolf --- here's 3 opinions from guys who bot it .....
-------------------------------------------------
(1)
Well i played RTCW for a decent while. The first part consists of you escaping the castle. I really didn't know how to approach this game in either being sneaky or going in guns blazing. I chose guns blazing :) And so far its worked, but some points of the game require the occasional stealth travel. The game kind of reminds of NOLF actually, and after seeing a few comments i see that some people agree :) Anyway, the storyline is built pretty nicely i think, much more than regular wolfenstein was :p The weapon system is similar to Half-life, in how you press a button and see on the top right a list of the weapons. Unfortunately i haven't been given access to a lot of the weapons available later to the game. The environment (sounds and music also) are great, i didn't really like the castle atmosphere, but the catacombs are pretty scary, and the music and freaky zombies and undead support this :) So yeah im at the catacombs part, and its actually kind of scary cause those zombies come outta nowhere and theres all kind of sounds coming from everywhere!!!! Anyway, im digging the game so far, hoping for some more varied environments and more surprises to the storyline :) Havent tried multiplayer yet cause im on thanksgiving vacation and dont have the ownage college connect.
-----------------------------------------------------
(2)
I picked up RTCW yesterday, and after playing up through mission 3, I have to say I'm quite pleased so far.
The action has a kind-of "Goldeneye 007 for the N64" feel to it IMHO, which isn't a bad thing, because that game was cool. I could easily see this game being ported to the Xbox or Playstation 2, as it would work well on a console I think (though the controls would have to be simplified).

The graphics are simply awesome. The catacomb levels were 100% atmosphere, with the flickering torches and fog. The fog, BTW... is done better then I've seen it in any other game. Rather than feeling like a semi-opaque white filter has been applied to the player screen, the fog in RTCW feels like it has actual volume and density, like in real life. The outdoor levels are done very well too, giving the impression of actually being outside, rather then in a large room textured to look like outdoors.

I also like the fact that you can use multiple play styles in a single level. You can sneak around for a bit, backstabbing guards, picking people off from a distance with a sniper rifle, etc. Then you can go in guns blazing and just mow them down.

Another surprising thing is the fact that I don't really mind the zombies. Initially, I felt as though they were going to ruin the atmosphere of the game (I'm a WWII buff, so I've waited quite some time for a *good* WWII FPS to come out). However, the game designers made the zombies fit into the game's storyline, without ruining the gameplay. It is, after all, a game - not a WWII simulation. Watching the German soldiers try and battle it out with the zombies is pretty funny, too.
Overall, I'd give the game 4/5 stars. Its not perfect, but its one heck of a good game so far.
------------------------------------------------------
(3)
Overall, I like it.. Only tried single so far, played through the end of the church level. (I thought MP test was a lot of fun tho)
The soldier AI is pretty good at times, though i've seen them do some dumb things as well. I often get the feeling that I should be trying to sneak around rather than shooting everything madly, but sneaking doesn't seem to work very well, so people just get shot.

I will buy it anyway, it looks great !
If my computer supports it :(

PIII 600EB 256Mo SDRAM 133
GeForce 256 Annihilator Pro (with Detonator XP driver)
DirectX 8.1

I will buy a GeForce 3 for Christmas.

MR8:
P3 600? I should think Wolf would fly on your system. Especially with all that RAM and the GeForce annihilator.
My system "only" has 32mb Geforce-1 (the original that first came out 2 yrs ago) and I'm pretty sure I'll have no trouble when I buy Wolf.

My system "only" has 32mb Geforce-1 (the original that first came out 2 yrs ago) and I'm pretty sure I'll have no trouble when I buy Wolf.

Mine is 32mb, it's the same as you I think.
I've bought it two years ago too ;)