Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LavaDemon

GBA Doom

Whoop de doo...just when the last GBA doom topic is locked and sinks to the bottom of the page, another starts...

I don't own a GBA, nor do I plan to get one for the sole purpose of Dooming (I'd rather get Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever, it's more fun on a GBA).

Pros: You can play DooM anywhere anytime.
Cons: Green blood, the controls kinda suck, the new levels are not that interesting.

IMO the DooM Collector's Edition would be a better investment, but that's of course up to you.

I ended up with maxed out ammo at the end of each episode.
Also it would glitch up sometimes and I would have no gun out at all.

doom2 for gba is much better than the first one. There were some slight map changes that pissed me off, though. The one that really bothered me was that map15 was split into two levels, thus making the huge shortcut unavailable.

GBA Doom2 is based on the Duke3D engine (the GBA Duke, anyway), which allows for big sprites and invisible objects. So the spectre is there, as well as the Spider and the Cybie.

BBG said:

Yeah, it's ok, it's Doom on a GBA...

Worse, it's pretty much Atari Jaguar Doom on the GBA; meaning lots of big edits to the original maps, smaller selection of monsters, stuff like that.
Get GBA Doom II instead. A little bit chuggier, but better overall, and truer to its PC counterpart.
BTW don't play either on an original GBA. GBA SP (or Gamecube GBA adapter if you're desperate) is highly recommended.

LavaDemon said:

Has anyone tryed GBA DooM, planning on bying it is it good?
Bye the way DooM ROCS

do u have SpellinG ExtremE. i sew it In the Shopp. shos are ichy. thants

GBA Doom has to be downright the worst Doom port ever. Worse than 32X Doom. Worse than SNES Doom.

Bastarization of music, green blood, crappy level structure and crappy graphics. It doesn't friggin FEEL like Doom.

I think the only advantage is one of the few with multiplayer capabilities that doesn't involve going online.

I heard GBA Doom II is MUCH better.

TonicBH said:

GBA Doom has to be downright the worst Doom port ever. Worse than 32X Doom. Worse than SNES Doom.

Bastarization of music, green blood, crappy level structure and crappy graphics. It doesn't friggin FEEL like Doom.

I think the only advantage is one of the few with multiplayer capabilities that doesn't involve going online.

I heard GBA Doom II is MUCH better.

Um, IMO, it is one of the better ports of Doom, especially the Doom II one.

DoomedAce said:

IMO the DooM Collector's Edition would be a better investment, but that's of course up to you.

Already got it...

I liked Doom on the GBA. The green blood was annoying though.

Doom II on the GBA I didn't like so much. It was slower.

Like I said before, it's got DOOM emlazoned on it, it's more or less the same thing, thus it's worth getting for me.

Dodge said:

Like I said before, it's got DOOM emlazoned on it, it's more or less the same thing, thus it's worth getting for me.

Not necessarily. Doom 2, Tapwave Zodiac. WHY?! Please tell me nobody has played this but me.

I've been thinking about purchasing that lately. It's always comforting to know you have Doom in your pocket. I don't really care what color the blood is.

As I said before: get a flash card that can compile zdoom and use that on your gba\ds\whatever the hell you wasted money on.

ooohh.... this is getting good man.

Did I do something to upset you? If so, accept my apologies.

On the other hand, if you are just being a fun jackass :P then right on. Jack on.
But I was being serious about saying that if you want to have portable doom, there is a c00l way to do it that only costs like 600 dollah. but that expensive card is worth the cash. roms, proggys, mp3s, whatever.

so yeah.

Jehar said:

another shitload of fnord deleted

Don't worry, I don't have any grudge against you. For some reason though, that just cracks me up. If your feelings are hurt by it, or if you feel some other negative reaction to it, please let me know and I will stop.

I wasn't aware that you could actually get source ports to work on GBA Doom, though. What really impressed me though was how it had 4 save slots and that you could actually hook up to other GBAs with a cable to play Doom network. I should buy a GBA and that game sometime.

Its not using doom gba, its a cartrige itself that you can put shite on and stuph. Real versitle.

Didnt know that about gba doom, that you could dm. thats pretty cool. might be worth getting if my gba didnt get stolen...

OR i could get a rom... but that would defeat the point, wouldnt it?