Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chronoteeth

Quick question [turning my computer back a day]

Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore

Note that this won't restore your personal files; only your programs.

I presume the files won't be in the Recycle Bin. (OK, silly question.)

If you have an old OS, then you might be able to use the old undelete command. IIRC, you could use that in Win 95 and Win 98 as long as you first used the "lock" command from "command prompt only". (Or something like that - it's years since I used it.)

From what I understand, when you delete a file from your computer, it doesn't actually wipe it from the hard-drive, but instead designates the space as free space to be written over. But until it is written over, the file should still be recoverable. I've never tried it or needed to, but appearantly there are programs out there that can help you get those files back.

some time ago i got a program off snapfiles.com or whereever that lets you undelete files, but you should stick it straight on a floppy or something to keep the recovered files as intact as possible

Damnit nevermind. I can't go back a day. fook. Now i'll never be able to go on newgrounds or share my photos again. Fucking school computer and their "WE WANT YOUR KID TO BE SAFE SO WE WILL TAKE AWAY ALL OF YOUR CHILD'S FAVORITES SITES" Filter.

Alright, here's the story. About 7 months ago somehow I could get passed the school computer filter. Now I have now idea how that happend, but I was happy. Today around 4:40 there was a thread in an RCT site that they were going to have a community park for RCT2, and I said I would join. Now I had uninstalled RCT2 about a week ago for some room on my comp, and wanted to install it again. So then I deleatedand uninstalled some stuff and threw them away in my recycling bin. After that I decided that I wanted to bunnykill 2 again on newgrounds, and guess what? It came back. I'm trying to restore my files before I deleated them, so then I could get passed the filter and access newgrounds and my photobucket account again. And when I sadly could not go back before I deleated those things in system restore, I got pissed, and sad. So I guess now the question is if there is a way to get pass this filter (just to let you know, my parents don't really give a damn on where I go on the internet.) This filterpak thing is the most evil program out there. Ya wanna know what one of the reasons why I couldn't go to newgrounds? It said that one of the reasons why it blocked it was because it was "tasteless". Demon filterpak go to hell! Man, and then there's my photobucket account! It won't let me share pitcures! Fucking aye! I guess no more numa numa, bunny kill, and hillarious flashes for me.

Any website blocker which prevents you from accessing a website which you are supposed to design for coursework is a retarded one.

Xenophon said:

Any website blocker which prevents you from accessing a website which you are supposed to design for coursework is a retarded one.

That pretty much constitutes for ALL of them. ;P

gargoylol said:

Sometimes system restore eliminates binaries of games if they're not in the program files folder

;(

unfortunately, system restore tracks all 'system' filetypes (com, vbs, exe, etc...)
so, if you wrote and modified a vbs file for use in your zdoom directory, it would delete it when it did a system restore.
the trick here is that it should be able to restore to any restore point... if your restore archive is big enough and it isn't corrupted.
as with everything Microsoft, it is never the complete solution.

What the Hell? You can restore files by turning back the clock on your computer? That sounds kind of dumb. And don't complain that you cant access certain sites from school, because you're supposed to be working anyway.

as it was said before. when you delete a file the computer marks its space as free. as long as you dont do anything to that space it can usally be recovered. however if you install something really big or defrag chances are you may loose it.

I have had to do file recovery before. however it usally involved linux. the undelte program for win98/95/DOS will not work in winXP. unless you have fat32. we have used a bootable linux distro called helix to recover files before.

personaly i have never liked system restore and always turn it off.

make a habit of backing up files. I see it every day. in the end you cant blame anyone else for a loss if you didn't back it up. Oh and use a good medium for backups. like CD-R or DVD, i would aviod floppy and i would use a cd/DVD over a zip disk.