Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janderson

The Hills are Alive...

I've been getting into musicals recently e.g. Phantom of the Opera, Sound of Music (heh)Crybaby. Do you know of any other good musicals about I could get into. They don't have to be just stage production and I'm looking for a more mature audience.

Fiddler on the Roof? I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it has gotten rave reviews and I'm curious enough to see it myself one of these days when I'm not lazy. I think it has a fairly mature subject matter, dunno.

Shapeless said:

fiddler on the roof? is that about a guy who fools around on the roof with some chic?

No, that's the direct to home video XXX knock-off Did Her on the Roof.

Doom, the upcomming hellspawn musical.

Trent Renzor won't work on this one either because of some conflict with the director, Tim Burton.

Ayreon's newest double-CD "The Human Equation" is more of a rock opera than a musical, but it's structured somewhat similarly to a few of the ones you've mentioned.

The story is that some guy has a car accident and ends up in a coma for 20 days. Each song is numbered "Day ##", for the 20 days he spends in the hospital. While there, he's disconnected from reality but conscious in his own mind, where all his emotions come to life (fear, rage, passion, love, etc each sung by a different singer) and lead him back through his mind, searching his memories and eventually showing him how he ended up where he is. There are occasionally breaks you go from his mindscape to his wife and best friend who are waiting by his bedside the full time. Homepage & full album details here.

Personally, I don't like the 70's/80's analog synths the guy uses in all his Ayreon albums, but Human Equation's are quite tolerable and there's enough variety for me to listen to the whole thing in one sitting, despite a lot of it not being the kind of music I typically listen to. Most of the music and all the singers do a great job portraying the varying emotions they represent. There's a lot of variety, so I don't think there's anybody who couldn't find something they like somewhere in the album.

I guess I'm the only one who hates it when people break out into singnging in the middle of a conversation or suspence moment or anyother time when it's really really inapropriate. But I am a bit of a hypocrite, cause I do like Nightmare before christmas and Molin Rouge.

Actualy, I hate it too. But Little Shop of Horrors is just a classic. Also, the end of Life of Brian rules.

Ichor said:

5000 Fingers of Dr. T

that brings back memories. havnt seen that since i was like 6. gotta go buy that.