Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

Multiple sector tags?

This may be a stupid question... or not. Whatever.

Is it possible to assign multiple sector tags to one sector in zdoom?

well... duh
i assumed I would need an ACS script... could someone please either post the script or link me to it?

I don't profess to know all that much about ACS yet... could you be a little more specific and point me out to what multiple sectortags would be called?

All the sector actions in ACS take a sector tag variable to tell it what sector to effect. Therefore you could have a sector with a tag of 3 and in all the acs functions and action specials you want to use, you would put '3' for the 'sector tag' variable.

I don't know if that helps though. Try reading through the ACS sections of the wiki and see if you can learn ACS. It is rather easy to learn.

I am not sure you quite understood me.
One sector.
Multiple tags.
Is this possible?

I fail to see the usefulness in giving a sector more than one tag. Enlighten me please.

Jehar said:

Yeah, I am easily confused.

But I have to agree with the Spork and wonder what purpose having a sector with multiple tags would fulfill.

Jehar said:

One sector.
Multiple tags.
Is this possible?

As was said several posts ago, no. If you wanted multiple tags for the purpose of doing lots of different sector effects, learn acs, as that's one of the things it can do. Howver it is still done with a single sector tag.

If that's not why you want this multiple tag wackiness, try posting what it is you're trying to achieve and someone can help you out.

There are lots of uses for sectors with more than one tag. For instance:

3 doors that open/close independantly. Plus a master switch that closes all 3 doors at the same time.

If there was more than one tag per sector the above would be easy (no need for scripts or complex plane moving constructs) .

So instead of learning an easy language to, for example, perform 10 different actions on a door, there should be 10 feilds for tags? What if I want 20 actions on a sector? 20 tags then?

I understand that learning a scripting language may be difficult. But in the end it's way more flexible and you'll benefit more.

Exactly. Thats why solutions like ACS and Doomsday's XG exist. I was merely pointing out a possible use for sectors with multiple tags.

DaniJ said:

3 doors that open/close independantly. Plus a master switch that closes all 3 doors at the same time.

If there was more than one tag per sector the above would be easy (no need for scripts or complex plane moving constructs) .

That could easily be achieved by setting up the doors normally - each with a different tag, and then having a single script to close all 3 doors at the same time. OK, a script is still needed, but it's very simple.

I can understand a reluctance to get into scripting. It seems quite daunting if you're not used to doing it and it seems to be more diffuse than the direct link of a linetype with a tag linked to a sector that you are probably used to. However, it is very powerful and something like this is very simple and an easy way to start.

DaniJ said:

There are lots of uses for sectors with more than one tag. For instance:

With Boom compatible ports this is easily achievable with the Passthrough flag. Just set up 3 switch linedefs close to each other and one press will activate them all. You don't need any scripts if you don't want to. Of course, considering that this thread started about ZDoom why even bother doing it the complicated way when there is a much simpler alternative: ACS!

Yeah, I know how to do it with those methods and also about 5 different ways to do it with XG.

Again, I was just giving an example of where multiple tags per sector could be useful. I'm not saying that there should be multiple tags or that ACS shouldn't be used.

multiple tags per sector would also require some sort of new file format. You'd either have to revise the sectors lump to hold an arbitrary number of sector tags per sector (from 1 to whatever... 255 or 65536 would be the most likely limits) or you'd have to make some kind of external text lump that held the tag of the sector and then a corresponding list of sector tags that this tag corresponded to. And even that would still be limiting, not to mention very annoying to edit.

The much, much simpler and less painful solution is to just use scripting (ACS, XG, whatever) or, if you want, the old voodoo doll on a convayer belt trick from the early Boom days.

minus the n00bishness, that is a valid statement, even if flawed to a major extent.