Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carp

F.E.A.R (First Encounter Assault and Recon) Anyone seen this PC Game?

I did a search and didn't notice any previous threads so sorry if this has already been posted.

This game is not out yet.
F.E.A.R is a first person shooter being developed by Monolith the makers of the No One Lives Forever games (NOLF, NOLF 2).

F.E.A.R - First Encounter Assault and Recon
The story begins as an unidentified paramilitary force infiltrates a multi-billion dollar aerospace compound. The government responds by sending in Special Forces, but loses contact as an eerie signal interrupts radio communications. When the interference subsides moments later, the team has been literally torn apart. As part of a classified strike team created to deal with threats no one else can handle, your mission is simple: Eliminate the intruders at any cost. Determine the origin of the signal. And contain this crisis before it spirals out of control.

Below are some links to screenshots, teaser trailer (gives a small glimpse of the game), demo movie (13 minute single player game footage) and a multiplayer trailer. There is a list of mirrors to download from for each file.

Looks like it could be very entertaining. If you are able to, download and watch the 13 minute SP trailer, it's quite interesting. There is alot of blood and gore effects and it seems to be more of a run and gun game but hopefully the story is good. The MP seems to be the usual DM, TDM Soldier of Fortune Style.

Screenshots
http://www.pcgameworld.com/screenthumb.php/game/2252/F.E.A.R./

Teaser movie trailer
(720x480, 0:36, WMV9) 4.6 MB
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/fear/final_fear.wmv.html

Demo movie of E3 2004
(320x240, 13:09, MP4) 104 MB
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/fear/fear_fulldemo.zip.html

Multiplayer movie trailer
(640x480, 1:06, WMV9) 8.9 MB
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/fear/fear_multiplayertrailer.wmv.html

u think that when doom3 got leakd its possible other company benifitd from it and are using doom3 lighting just look at these newer games..

MORBIDTWATT said:

u think that when doom3 got leakd its possible other company benifitd from it and are using doom3 lighting just look at these newer games..

How is that possible? the source wasn't leaked.

Quast said:

or was it.... dun dun DUNNN!!!

MORBIDTWATT said:

AFAIK, the lighting system in Doom 3 isn't propietary technology, I.E., anyone can program their own unified lighting system and not get sued by id.

Darkplaces Quake had it's own per-pixel lighting technology years before Doom3 released (and dp is of course, open source) so I really doubt Monolith would steal leaked code (d3 code wasn't leaked AT ALL btw). It would lead to rather dangerous lawsuits...

BBG said:

AFAIK, the lighting system in Doom 3 isn't propietary technology, I.E., anyone can program their own unified lighting system and not get sued by id.

Carmack developed the algorithm at about the same time someone else did. That someone else patented it and Creative bought the patent (or something along those lines), so if you do include that lighting algorithm and you're in the US then you'll have to come to some kind of agreement (usually monetary) with Creative to use the algorithm.

Welcome to the world of software patents.

Stealthy Ivan said:

You sure this is just not a really sick Doom 3 mod that some one's trying to play off as there own game???

No, just proof that it's a bad idea to go on making techy sci-fi games with per-pixel normal mapping/specular, especially if your designs aren't very original. They all look to same.

Bad idea? FEAR looks extremely promising to be honest. Looks to be genuinely frightening and the Multiplayer action looks to be nice and chaotic.

Now, all people twittering garbage about lighting techniques can shut the fuck up right now. Buy a clue or fuck off. Doom3 did it first, but that doesn't make it the only game ever allowed to use that kind of rendering effect, given that's all it is, an effect, A stunning effect nonetheless and when used right looks spectacular.

tenebrae2.com used the same technique as well a while ago, I'm not sure if the project is dead or not, as the last screenshot was nearly 18 months ago now, and the last news post was nearly a year ago, but it did look good especially considering that aside from the new rendering code and some tweaks to the level process, it was still Quake 1.

LorD BaZTArD said:

Bad idea? FEAR looks extremely promising to be honest. Looks to be genuinely frightening and the Multiplayer action looks to be nice and chaotic.

You obviously watched the 13 minute demo. The shots of the little girl roaming around causing chaos adds a nice eary feel to the game.

Oh yes, Saw it come out of nowhere at E3 last year.

Hadn't heard of it at all and was looking for info on another game then blam, I see this trailer rock up for a game called FEAR. Watched it...almost stepped on my jaw. Was extremely impressed with it, and since then I've been waiting patiently for it, it's sure to be yet another brilliant Monolith game :D

Quast said:

Being able to gather how something works without seeing source code isn't a new concept. 75% of programmers are probably capable of this. Haven't you ever heard of reverse-engineering?