Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tassadar

KDIZD cancelled because of copyright issues?

This is the last time I'm working on something that has something based on something else ... :P

NiGHTMARE said:

Yep, aka Michael Niggel :).

omg I love that guy! Seriously though, I thought he was dead or something.

Now that KDiZD is er.. messed up, can somebody help me with sprites of my own project? And maybe scripting? I'm working on a big project and could use some help.

Heh, I'm sorta kidding. Release it behind closed doors, I'm actually looking forward to this.

This is ridiculous. I hate to break it to you team, but I highly doubt Kdizd is going to garnish a huge response from the gaming world as you may think it will. Releasing this into the DOOM community would be the equal to a tree falling in a dense forest when nobody is around to hear it. A needle in a haystack.

Kdizd is probably only going to get downloaded somewhere between 500-1000 times tops. I say just release the damn thing and see what happens. That is unless you WANT to throw away all your hard work.

Just my two cents. And I have to say that grabbing id's attention with the whole thing was really, really dumb.

Risen was actually stupid enough to email iD about KDINZD to see if it's legal or not? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA God what a dumbass.

Also, you actually thought that making a SEUPER LOL KAWAII mod for a ELEVEN-FUCKING -YEAR OLD GAME is going to revolutionize the modding community in general? lol

The Flange Peddler said:

Did whoever wrote this e-mail use the phrase 'The way it was meant to be' in their correspondance with ID at all?

priceless :)

Certain people whom I once had a huge amount of respect for have lost almost all of it since these insensitive, narrow minded, and often simply plain childish anti-KDIZD "comments" and so-called "jokes" started.

No other Doom project has ever had this much antagonism ranged against it, even though several projects have had just as much (or sometimes more) hype, and many people promoting their Doom add-ons have acted in a far more arrogant and egotistical manner than any of the KDIZD team members have shown.

Recently, some formerly great Doomworlders have been acting like they're completely incapable of feeling empathy or compassion towards their fellow human beings... and the only reasons I can think for this are negative: jealously, hatred of one or more KDIZD team members, gaining perverse pleasure from causing other people distress, and so on. No suprise there, of course; people rarely act in a negative fashion for positive reasons.

Whereas I once believed the Doomworld community to be one of the better internet gaming communities, that opinion has begun to drastically change with the actions of certain individuals. I'm starting to dislike the attitude of the "typical Doomworlder" to such an extent, that I'm seriously considering looking for another community to join instead. Prefferably where the average person is considerably more pleasant than so many of the people here, and where things like respect, compassion, understanding and general pleasantness are far more common than hatred, jealousy, spitefulness and sheer bloodymindedness.

A lot of Doomworlds really do need to let all these negative emotions go, and try to remember why we're all supposed to be here, editing and playing Doom in the first place: for FUN. For me it isn't so fun anymore, and unless that changes soon, and for the better, I'll be out of here.

Personally I have no problem with the project in and of itself. The problem has stemmed from the way certain project members have handled themselves and treated others. It's about as bad as those who are blatantly flaming for the sake of flaming.

You are also doing something that, if it were a group of noobs, would get a LOT more flaming and negativity because it wouldn't be "original". People who make one small color change to a monster and call it "their artwork", people who modify other peoples levels by adding a bunch of parts here and there, if it were any other group of perhaps less talented people, there'd be much less if at all positivity. When I first heard about this project I thought it was you guys taking your interpretation of each level and recreating it (from scratch). I was more disappointed that this wasn't true more than the fact you're editing existing Doom 1 levels alone. People respect your work nick, YOUR WORK. Some people may not like it that you're comparing this modification with the likes of an original work like RTC. They may also not like who NMN is touting this to be akin to the spark for the industrial revolution. You have to expect this kind of backlash when certain members of this project say some rather outlandish and ridiculous things. I know not everyone feels like I do, but I know I'm also probably not alone.

All I know is that the project looks awesome, and I really look forward to it if it ever comes out.

Darkman 4 said:

Risen was actually stupid enough to email iD about KDINZD to see if it's legal or not? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA God what a dumbass.

Also, you actually thought that making a SEUPER LOL KAWAII mod for a ELEVEN-FUCKING -YEAR OLD GAME is going to revolutionize the modding community in general? lol

Shut up idiot and have more respect towards a person like Risen! He is by fare longer involved in the Doom community as you are and is one of the most skilled and talented people around here. The only dumbass here is you because you don't even seem to know that!
Whatever the reason is for Michael to contact id: Respect it as I do and don't doubt his intentions with it because they were ok!

@Nightmare - Good word, actually you seem to be very right with that!

@Mancu - Well, actually one of the single discussion replies that really sound fair and kind in my eyes. But it is a bit too simple to just say "we used an imp and recolored it" if speaking of KDiZD! It is by far more then just adding some rooms and stuff to the original doom maps! Nevertheless, we discuss heavy over on our team forums and we will change several things concerning the way our maps look and concerning the way, they were created. So in the end, it is going to be more like AgentSporks map-rebuilds than just the alterization of original E1 maps!

Tormentor667 said:

Shut up idiot and have more respect towards a person like Risen! He is by fare longer involved in the Doom community as you are

counts for nothing

and is one of the most skilled and talented people around here.

A quick search on idgames suggests otherwise, or does wrecking projects count?

Szymanski said:

A quick search on idgames suggests otherwise, or does wrecking projects count?

Released projects don't measure Your quality nor wrecking projects do.

Szymanski said:

counts for nothing[..]A quick search on idgames suggests otherwise, or does wrecking projects count?

Both counts much concerning the experience you gather during the work you do yourself as it concerns the experience you gain while looking through several years of non-personal reviews! Actually I thought you might know that... but actually if I think about it once more, you can't know that at all, not if you are really the self-overestimating person you seem to be!

If you've never even heard of someone before, let alone spoken to them, calling them "stupid" and a "dumbass" isn't especially appropriate behaviour.

Szymanski said:

(...) or does wrecking projects count?

Care to clarify what you mean by that statement? The others seemt o know what you mean, but I don't. :/

NiGHTMARE said:

If you've never even heard of someone before, let alone spoken to them, calling them "stupid" and a "dumbass" isn't especially appropriate behaviour.

Well, this isn't exactly a rare occation on the internet. Or in real life for that matter.

"One of our team members, namely Risen, has believed that using modified textures & sprites is illegal for several years now. This is why, towards the end of Twice Risen's life, he ended up dumping the entire TR texture wad and using a load of textures from various fan-made Quake texture packs instead."

Twice risen looked great (for the time) and was a real shame when it died. Now the same thing is happening with KDIZD. I don't have anything against the guy, It's just history repeating itself.

TR's cancellation had nothing to do with the textures or anything like that. If I remember correctly, he simply had a lot of real life stuff come up.

NiGHTMARE said:

Stuff

Part of me can be sympathetic, however, your team hasn't exactly handled the pressure from the nay-sayers very well. When you release something into the public, or start hyping something, you accept _all_ responsibility for it - which includes any positive and negative comments. Its part of the territory, and for somebody who has been in the community this long, you should know this by now.

That's all I gotta say. I hope you can finish your project because I am genuinely interested in it, but don't whine about things you can't control.

Eh, I don't really think id's going to care much. I'd suspect that if Carmack DID get word that someone was doing something like this, he'd be interested in how well it goes, not the legal issues.

Anyway, enough of my opinions. I WANT A RELEASE :(. You tease and tantalize me with a trailer and now you do THIS. Meanies.

Oh, and I'd agree with Manc. If a computer were made by say, some dude named Bob Jones, and had all this cool stuff in it, and then Dell comes along and has their computers, most consumers would say, "Hey a Dell, give me that." It's sad but true :(. Oh well. I personally don't care about rrearranged weapon graphics or recolored imps.

Tormentor667 said:

Shut up idiot and have more respect towards a person like Risen! He is by fare longer involved in the Doom community as you are and is one of the most skilled and talented people around here.

who?

Anders said:

Haha, they actually thought iD would give them permission? rofl.

Darkman 4 said:

Thank you for the amusement.

Oh, and I just received a response from Id. They said we could continue.

(edit: dammit, I always spell receive incorrectly)

Oh thank god, what would the community have done without this great work of art, nay, the greatest Doom mod the world has ever known, and if you disagree, you lack compassion and emapthy toward other human beings.

We thank you for this great doom addon we are about to receive.