Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

Dummy sectors how do they work

Ok here is my problem,i cant get those fraggin dummy sectors to work properly.
You know those rooms where monsters teleport from.
I used to make those annoying tiny corridors,and connect those to the area where i was.
And im sick of doing that all the time,so i have heard that you can do it without those tiny corridors.
Can sombody that knows how to create those plz explain how it is done,or give me a link to an tutorial.

Thanks,for those who are willing to help me :)

if you use the same sector number for the chamber from where the are to wait for you they will hear you. That's the easiest way of doing it. Another way is to modify the reject table to have some sectors "hear" what is happening in other sectors.

kristus said:

Another way is to modify the reject table to have some sectors "hear" what is happening in other sectors.

Sorry, that won't work. The reject table is only used as a shortcut in visibility calculations, nothing more. All you can do with it is to prevent monsters in one sector to see what is going on in another one.

kristus said:

if you use the same sector number (...)

Where do i change those numbers,im using doombuilder and this wad is for zdoom.
I did try to copy one sector,and when i pasted it,it had an different sector number.
So the million dollar question is:where do i change those sector numbers.

God im so fucking stupid,i only had to merge sector0 and sector1,so they are both sector0 now and it works like a dream harharhar :)
Thank you for pointing me into the right direction.

okay. you have sector 1. and you want a dummy sector for sector 1.

create another sector out in the void. it will be called sector 2. make all of the lines in sector 2 refer to sector 1, INSTEAD of sector 2. this is doable in the line properties of most editors. it's quick and painless.

If you are making this for ZDoom, why don't you use ACS to teleport the monsters or simply spawn new ones?

Psycho Siggi said:

If you are making this for ZDoom, why don't you use ACS to teleport the monsters or simply spawn new ones?

I have no idea what ACS exactly is,and if it is easy to use.

You don't even need ACS to spawn monsters. Thing_Spawn is a line special that can be used directly in maps.

Graf Zahl said:

You don't even need ACS to spawn monsters. Thing_Spawn is a line special that can be used directly in maps.

That is if you make a zdoom wad in "doom in hexen" format right,mine is for "doom in doom" format.

Graf Zahl said:

You can still convert it! ;)

Sure you can,but do you need a hexen Iwad for it,or whatever else you need for it.
And since i don't have hexen on my comp,this will be a problem right.

Even if you don't use any of the features that exist in a Doom in Hexen format map, its still going to behave like a Doom 2 map.

However, it seems kinda silly to not use any of the features that ZDoom offers in ACS. Even if its a simple script (and its fun to learn new things like ACS).

Doom in Hexen format maps use a Doom2 iwad and ZDoom,,, nothing else

Psycho Siggi said:

Doom in Hexen format maps use a Doom2 iwad and ZDoom,,, nothing else

Then why im getting this error,when want to make a doom in hexen map.

WARNING: Could not find the IWAD file "". Check your configuration!
WARNING: Could not find required lump PLAYPAL
WARNING: Could not find required lumps TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2

Do i need to configure it,by linking it to an DOOM2 Iwad,i always thought you needed an hexen Iwad for this,if you wanted to create an doom in hexen map.

Psycho Siggi said:

However, it seems kinda silly to not use any of the features that ZDoom offers in ACS. Even if its a simple script (and its fun to learn new things like ACS).

Scripting is pain in the ass,i have tried it and what i created didn't work properly...well basicly i didn't worked at all :D
I only create doom wads im not going to go that far by creating a script,that will not work if it was made by me that is.

Xenophon said:

Yes, you do tell DB to use the Doom(2) IWAD. This is Doom in Hexen mode, not Hexen in Hexen :P

Why didn't tried this myself *bashing his head on his desk*,wake up devill stop asking stupid questions on this forum :)

Scripting is like anal sex,,, some people like doing it.

But seriously, ACS is something worth tryng out, it really adds a nice new dimention to Doom wads.

Psycho Siggi said:

Scripting is like anal sex,,, some people like doing it.

Hehehehe :) nice,ok i will try it some day but im not gonna use this option with my current wad i am working on.
Ill stick to these dummy sectors for now,they work good for me.

dutch devill said:

Hehehehe :) nice,ok i will try it some day but im not gonna use this option with my current wad i am working on.

Good to hear, I think anal sex might ruin your WAD :p

Jayextee said:

Good to hear, I think anal sex might ruin your WAD :p

Well that and something else,and that "else" is something that is more important than my wad :D.