Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Burning_terror

I have made a 3d model (Imp from doom 1 & 2)

I have made a 3d modell of Imp from doom 1 and 2, and i would like to know what you think of it!!!!! So please reply

Hope you like it, sadly i dont have anytexture for it.
It not 100% finished yet.

Looks good to me,altough he couldt do with smaller feet IMO.
I think they are too big if you compare them to the rest of the body.

Very nice. I'd also like to have a view on it with the mesh turned on so I could examine the polyflow. Generally it looks ok.

How many polygons does it use? Looks like about 1000 or more. I suggest reducing that count, Doom models are generally low poly ones and they should stay that way. 600-700 polys is about as far as You could go.

The back lack muscles a bit. In this case, You have plenty of polys there, try just varying the vertices (with a reference and knowledge of back muscles ofcourse.

I think it could use a biceps and I don't like the muscles of the forearm. Should be tapered a bit more by the wrist. It's lacking pectorals (chest) muscles a bit. Try to either make small "valey" in the middle of it's upper chest or just protround the upper chest a bit. The abominals look too much extruded. Try varying the vertices at the corners. Also, the butt, is an important part of the body. Try to express the buttocks more either by protrouding them or adding a cut-in in the middle where the ass supposed to be ;)

I'd really like to see it textured ;) Keep up the good work!

Really nice! I like that sixpack. But you cold have put some more effort in his elbows from the backwiew. Exept that NICE!

Bad porportions, no arse :( horrible back and arms, no chest, a load of wasted polys that are not used for defining the monster's silhouette, and it's mostly quads. Games don't accept quads as-is, they become two triangles. Try to optimize your model more and try to use a muscle reference, or references of humans.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh

Feet are enormous, face looks messed up, lots and lots of wasted polygons, generally blocky and fake looking. Don't bother texturing, instead spend the time reading up on low poly modelling, anatomy, etc.

Not that my effort was a whole lot better though

They both look really cool, now just add some cool textures..! You should make a little 3-d movie with your models. (Example, a small fight scene between the doom marine and some imps!)

Not a bad imp model, I have slowly been trying to get into 3d modeling myself. Just out of curosity, is it smooth shaded in that pic or not? It looks like you took it flatshaded. Also, do skin it, just use the doom imp sprite as a base.

It's not a bad effort, but propotionally it's too square. Also, apart from everything mentioned the head and the neck are too small and short respectively.

I suggest starting again with Q2MDL. It will teach you that using too many polygons is bad. In the same way that a mincer would teach you that sticking various personal bodily parts into a mincer is bad.

The proportions are a bit off. Try making his arms a bit closer together (too large armpits).
What I'm disapointed with are still the pectoral muscles. It appears You just selected some polyx and extruded them. Remember that the pects are not extruded, but rather a 2 large wrappings on the chest that go from ampit to middle line of the body (horizontal) and to another armpit. Because there are two, make a slice-in between them.
The face is interesting but it doesn't completely look like an imp. First, try making his cheeckbones more bulgy, and the face much skinnier. Larger mouth, more teeth. Large eyesockets with the brow muscles forming a frown.

The legs need muscles as well. The upper leg needs frontal muscles. Right now it looks rather awkward (like an inverted leg, try to correct it). The calf muscles also should be expressed in a better manner. The legs look way to skinny to hold such a powerful chest and arms. You need to maintain a specific balance in the sizes of the muscles in Your individual (generally, when someone has well built musculature they have all muscles well exposed, not just large biceps and small calves).

It's arms are too long. The upper arm is fine length but the fore arm is too long. That part is as long as the head of the individual. Wrists are supposed to be in-line with the crotch. They're below it right now.

I dislike the back of the head. It should be rounder, tough this might be a monster-like feature, so I'm not urging to change this, but try to experiment and see if a rounder back of the head wouldn't be better.

It's torso is a bit stiff. It looks as the spine is straight as a stick. The spine is actually flexible and curvy. Try to bend his torso a bit back, a bit tough, so the monster looks more flexible.

The forearms themselves have wrongly placed muscles. Move this "bulge" from the front part of the forarm and make a twisty one (another muscles here that goes from the side of the elbow to the inside side of the wrist).

Abominals, aka "six pack" still looks mechanical. Move those vertices at the corners of those extruded bevels ;)

I hope I'm being helpful here.

Burning_terror said:

I use 3ds max 6

Max isn't very good for first-time modeling though, it's quite tedious, i tried it when i had zilch knowledge :(

Try one of the other free apps suggested above and your modeling experience may vary better, or worse (besides Gmax since the interface is the same)

also a good idea, since the imp's frames are at all necessary angles, you could use them as direct model sheets (though they are animated so that will be a little tough)

The spikes coming out of him are meant to be gray\silver\bone whatever spike colour is.

gargoylol said:

Max isn't very good for first-time modeling though, it's quite tedious, i tried it when i had zilch knowledge :(

Try one of the other free apps suggested above and your modeling experience may vary better, or worse (besides Gmax since the interface is the same)

Bollocks. I tried Milkshape, Blender and Maya before Gmax and without the knowledge I made nothing. With Gmax's tuts and explanations I started pumping out models fast and increasing in quality. It's not the software, it's Your abilities (or lack of them) so don't prejudice people against Maxes.

Burning Terror-that spaceship looks very berry nice, tough a bit cartoonish. A spaceship IMO would be more of a fluid shape (aerodynamism) rather than sharp angles.

Actually, a spaceship can be any shape you like really. If you build it in space in the first place that is.

MasterOfPuppets said:

it reminds me of the Pillar of Autum, exept...longer :)

It reminds me from the movie aliens that marine spaceship "sulaco"
Nice job by the way :)

Burning_terror said:

Acully im not new to modelling

Hey man, that carrier looks pretty damn sweet. Was it by any chance inspired by the GTD Orion?