Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carp

What would make the ultimate FPS game? (What things would you like to see?)

If the ultimate First Person Shooter was to be designed what would you like to see in it?

Of course the obvious things like graphics physics, sound etc make a game more appealing but what would you put in a FPS game?

For example: Multiple pathways (less linear) More destructible enviroments.

Most definitely more balanced gameplay that in recent shooters which all suffered from 2 problems: graphics overkill and annoyingly hard monsters to counter their low number. Doom3 in particular was especially bad.

Large, Unrealistic, fucked up looking guns capable of mass destruction. And lots of them. TUROK!

It needs a gravity gun, and jump puzzles. And jump puzzles with a gravity gun.

none of that bullshit where you have to transport 50 million hostages through a straw and you have 20 dumbass marines you have to look after and you can only kill like 2 civilians or the map resets

I'd like to see more, crazier stuff done with portal technologies, some more engines that use concepts like the Geo-Mod one in Red Faction, more classic gameplay akin to Doom, more linear gameplay, and more trance/techno music. Or a remake of Rise of The Triad.

Or...I'd like to see a 1st-person Godzilla game or fighting game. I tried the former once, but the experiment failed horribly...(does anyone still have a copy of RoD that they'd like to e-mail me?)

Oh, and the absence of a hyped-up physics engine. You can leave the engine there, but get rid of the hype. I could care less about it.

A truly violent game where you take on loads of interesting, original foes with a few interesting, original, powerful weapons. Just go all-out with the violence, without it turning into a strategy-less Serious Sam clone. Somehow.

Something like similar to Quake in concept, where you go through episode after episode of horrors ranging from the merely gothic to the hellish to the Lovecraftian, each episode having its own consistent theme-- again, like Quake, only without Episode 4 sucking (or being the final episode, for that matter).

A storyline that's not intrusive but provides a consistent mythos and set of objectives. I think Quake 2 and Doom 3 did acceptably well in this regard.

Things that change in the game world based on actions the player takes. I was very disappointed when the decision to send the transmission in Doom 3 seemed to have no effect on how the subsequent areas played out. Several of these plot points sprinkled throughout the game, with drastic gameplay consequences either way, would make me very happy.

Bosses that are intriguing but not frustrating. A boss should never take the player more than a few tries to defeat unless the player has some sort of impaired motor functioning.

Multiple possible endings that depend on the player. Not on the level of an RPG, but at the very least I'd like to see a good- and evil-aligned ending, similar to the original Jedi Knight game.

A first person Grand Theft Auto without missions, just you, a city and lots of retarded weaponry hiding in odd public places.

I remember in the last thread like this someone said 'Columbine.'

jerrylee said:

Multiple possible endings that depend on the player. Not on the level of an RPG, but at the very least I'd like to see a good- and evil-aligned ending, similar to the original Jedi Knight game.

It's a shame nobody has ever made a Jedi Knight clone. That is my favorite game of all time, next to Doom. It had everything: awesome gameplay, cool weapons, force powers (which included physics manipulation not unlike the grav gun), awesome guns, a lightsaber which was actually like a lightsaber, a level that took advantage of gravity and physics, alternate story lines which affected gameplay and cutscenes, and live-action cutscenes which actually looked like they had work put into them.

The perfect FPS would be no FPS at all. Seriously, the genre has been taken by the game industry like it was two dead horses being beaten together like erasers (damn, a metaphor within a metaphor).

Or what Ling said.

DJ_Haruko said:

more linear gameplay

you want MORE? are you cracked?

Captain Red said:

System Shock III

Just when I thought I'd got over it, you had to go and say a thing like that. Now I'm going to have to take cold showers for a month, you know that don't you?

Anyway, I'll go with what Danarchy said. As far as straight shooters go, almost every one that I have played since Doom I have only begrudginly enjoyed because I wasted money on it. I'm only sad that it took me that long to realise. I'd like a new game where guns are just an optional feature, a means to an end if you require them. I'd gladly accept a game that makes guns very difficult to get hold of, and just as hard to use effectively. I'd much rather play a game that has limitless ways of approaching it, and gives me freedom to decide how I'd like to play it.

The ultimate FPS game has already come and gone in my opinion.

i THOROUGHLY enjoyed deus ex. id love to go back and play it. dunno why i havent. that game was fucking awesome and totally in-depth and had tons of ways to finish a level

I was trying not to mention that game.

Did I mention that I touch wood whenever I read something new about Bioshock?

ahem

I'd like to see more adventure elements rather than action elements. A main character that gets more abilities over time. A larger focus on exploration. I am beginning to lose interest in games where I practically have to tape down the fire button. Not because they're not fun, but because they become less interesting very fast. More *real* puzzles. Less red key in the red keyhole puzzles. This is a tough one to fulfill though.

The ultimate FPS should also pay my bills and do my laundry. And you should win real-life prizes by playing.

Amaster said:

I'd like to see more adventure elements rather than action elements. A main character that gets more abilities over time. A larger focus on exploration. I am beginning to lose interest in games where I practically have to tape down the fire button. Not because they're not fun, but because they become less interesting very fast. More *real* puzzles. Less red key in the red keyhole puzzles. This is a tough one to fulfill though.

That sounds somewhat like Clive Barker's Undying, but there is a lot of fighting in it, and it's fairly linear, but the story is good and you do get to explore freaky and bizarre places, even alternate dimensions! There are some keyhunt puzzles, but you also have to gather evidence and such and explore the mansion where the game takes place. As always, the demo is a better indication of the game than I can ever describe.

In an FPS, I want:

* Plenty of "cannon-fodder" enemies to butter things up a little
* Skill-based enemies that require tactics, not firepower, to overcome (just shooting them in the head is not enough! I want something like Metroid Prime!)
* Interesting puzzles (emphasis on INTERESTING - I want more stuff like Elite Force 2's Tricorder, HL2's physics puzzles, etc., not like Hexen's elaborate key-hunts)
* Physics engine - because it just ain't an explosion unless it knocks over a giant pile of washing machines
* Geo Mod engine - because it just ain't an explosion unless, in the process of knocking over those washing machines, it also obliterates a brick wall
* Unique weapons - I'm sick of seeing just the same old mix of Pistol, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, and Rocket Launcher. Give me something new and fun to play with - like maybe some Xaser-caliber creativity!
* Get me a Metroid Prime style non-linear exploration game on the PC, darnit! One with all kinds of neat abilities the player can learn, weapon upgrades, y'know, the really fun stuff!

CRATEZ!!!

What I want is a SOLID games engine that doesn't give the impression that you are wandering through levels constructed of cardboard and spit. Unless it's a crate maze. In which case cardboard and spit are good.

darknation said:

CRATEZ!!!

What I want is a SOLID games engine that doesn't give the impression that you are wandering through levels constructed of cardboard and spit. Unless it's a crate maze. In which case cardboard and spit are good.

Gimmicky features are the curse of the games industry.

Edit: more drunk than I thought I was. Nevermind!

There can be no 'Ultimate' FPS game. For a start, some features that people would want contradict others, such as linear vs non-linear. Action vs adventure/puzzle gameplay. And even if they didn't, packing all the "good" features of many games into one game would make it suck. It would feel overcrowded and flustered and really bad. In admidst all of those features would be no room for a decent story and solid consistent gameplay, which is what makes a good game IMO.

coop would make the ultimate fps espeacially if u can mod it, yes i do mean the mode itself modding the mode would make it a killer game, cause u can have anything made from it