Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MORBIDTWATT

win2000 or winxp??

i am confuesd and never jumped on the bandwagon that microsnuff built for noah and his beastiality hollywood basement freaks...i gots to know witch one is better between the 2 we got win2000 or xp..im a huge multimedia nut if that means anything (but wait a min we all are of course)..but is sadden by backwards compatibility.sucks that neither new os likes old shit. witch of these "os" runn better,faster,longer<--meaning dont have to restart computer after opening or closing a large app,"haha damn u 98"<--myth..anyways can someone help me

p.s leave my grammar be hmmkay..btw im only installing new nt os whatever for newer apps not because i have any beef with 98 infact i love 98 no sacasm just the facts

*edited for stupidity*

Windows XP.

I'm all in favor of free software, and I'm sure the Linux kernel is wonderful, but a free desktop that is good remains to be created.

Was that even English?

I have to second Frederik on this one. I like Linux, I use it for my file server. But trying to use it for day to day operations is an exercise in futility.

DC

I use Linux as a desktop nearly every day, so I believe I know what I'm talking about.

DJ_Haruko said:

Agreed. Especially since I use it as a desktop daily

So do I since 5 years. I find it easier than Windows. ;-) I suck in Windows.

I've never been able to get the hang on Linux, aside from the GUI's availible for it...KDE works just fine for me, but when it gets to installing and running programs, there are no newbie-friendly howto's out there. "To install this program, you must make sure your SDL is up to date first." So I go and get the latest SDL, and it makes me compile it. I have no freaking clue how to compile it.

So in the end, after many attempts and screw-ups in not only installing Freedroid-Classic-SDL, but also using Samba to connect to my Windows network, among other things, I pitched my Linux install. It's nice and all, but most of the required skills are a bit over my head.

WildWeasel said:

"To install this program, you must make sure your SDL is up to date first." So I go and get the latest SDL, and it makes me compile it. I have no freaking clue how to compile it.

./configure
make
make install

Doom-Child said:

trying to use it for day to day operations is an exercise in futility.

Depends on what kind of day to day operations you do: it sucks for most people though I'll grant you that. For my work (which involves talking to web servers) it's a lot less hassle than windows.

If someone here actually knows (for a fact) which os uses less processing power and memory, please do share the knowledge.

Janizdreg said:

If someone here actually knows (for a fact) which os uses less processing power and memory, please do share the knowledge.

That's a tough question to answer. Linux probably wins pretty quick if it's configured right, but I'm pretty sure I could trick a Fedora box out to hog the resources. Of course, by default, a Windows box has a pretty hefty memory footprint, but you can reduce a lot of that, if you know what you're doing.

In short, it's all about how you set it up.

In futility? Your judgement is a bit quick.

I am an intelligent person. I use Linux, as I say, for a file server, but I've done my share of webserving as well. Linux has some of the worst interfaces I have ever seen, and I've used Microsoft Office.

It's ridiculously powerful, but somewhat akin to putting the power to run the universe into a manual translated from Korean via Sanskrit.

DC

If you have the hardware to spare for excess bloat, XP. If you care about OS efficiency, 2K. As an exception, I would recommend XP if you're going to be playing a lot of [older] games and absolutely must use an NT-based Windows version.

Doom-Child said:

Was that even English?

I have to second Frederik on this one. I like Linux, I use it for my file server. But trying to use it for day to day operations is an exercise in futility.

DC

linux works great for me in day to day stuff. everything i normaly do i can do in linux just fine.
though however if you are into multimedia and gaming stick with windows.
most stuff that works in XP works in 2000. however a few products are changing that, mostly MS stuff.

also depding on the system you may want win 2000. if you use a p2 or p3 then you would want to use win 2000. chances are good if you use win 98.

if you have an older p2 or pentium dont waste your time, stick with win98 or go linux.

i have seen people put XP on systems as low as p133 with 64MB ram, however it was not very usable. as far as ram goes i would recommend at least 128MB for win2000 and 256MB for XP. Linux at least 64.

Doom-Child said:

Linux has some of the worst interfaces I have ever seen

Is it a joke? ?-/ Ha I know, you talk about the GNU/Linux kernel alone. ;-)

and I've used Microsoft Office.

Bah, I don’t even use it on Windows… it’s too expensive for me.

Ridiculously powerful

So you’re glad to use crap? ;-)

ducon said:

Is it a joke? ?-/ Ha I know, you talk about the GNU/Linux kernel alone. ;-)

Just because you can make it look pretty doesn't mean it's a good interface. KDE is the most bloated, wasted interface I've ever used. I haven't used GNOME in a couple of years, so I honestly can't say one way or the other, but the screenies I see now and again don't impress me.

Bah, I don’t even use it on Windows… it’s too expensive for me.

I was merely pointing out that Office has a terrible interface. Yay for work-related software.

So you’re glad to use crap? ;-)

I WANT Linux to be good. I want it to be good in so many ways. It just falls flat in some of the areas I deem important, so I don't use it that much anymore. Honestly, if it weren't for a few things I can't stand about Linux, and the fact that I couldn't play any of my games on Linux, I'd totally hit Linux up. I would be Torvalds' bitch. But alas.

DC

It's not just window managers. It's the draconian help, the unintelligble editors, conf files that have little or no documentation...the list goes on and on.

DC